Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Q5 TFSIe Competition due 1st September
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All.
New to the site. Looks really good with lots of info.

Currently have a 2019 Q5 SLine 2.0 TDi on 90,000 miles. Previously had several Audi A4's over the years.
Have now ordered a new 55TFSIe Competition back in December 2021, and anticipating delivery sometime in September 2022, so will likely hit 100,000 miles in the current one by then.

Still struggling to grasp the long waiting time for new cars in general. It really is quite staggering.
Brexit/Covid/Ukraine/heatwave records/wildfires/Economic crisis and now Monkeypox!
I wonder what is just around the corner??? :alien:?

Best get out there and enjoy driving the Q5's while we still can :D

·
Premium Member
Q5 55 tfsi e Competition, all boxes ticked, Navarra Blue
239 Posts
I ordered my 55 tfsi e Competition in October 2021 and I am taking delivery this Thursday. There have been numerous delays on all Audi's mainly due to semiconductor shortage. With all the technology packed in to a Q5 there is in excess of 100 computer chips used. The shortage has primarily been caused by Covid-19 and people working from home. The demand for laptops has increased by over 700% using up all the computer foundries output. Every other vertical market does not have the returns of the laptop industry. The main five foundries are building new ones as fast as possible but judging by the existing and incremental demand this situation will still exist until the end of 2024. The lead time for a car is dependent on how cute your dealer is. Some of the larger ones have placed forward orders and secured a manufacturing slot where the car configuration can be changed up until a confirmed date is issued by Audi. Basically it is a lottery which applies to Audi and every other car manufacurer.

·
Registered
Q5 TFSIe Competition due 1st September
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I ordered my 55 tfsi e Competition in October 2021 and I am taking delivery this Thursday. There have been numerous delays on all Audi's mainly due to semiconductor shortage. With all the technology packed in to a Q5 there is in excess of 100 computer chips used. The shortage has primarily been caused by Covid-19 and people working from home. The demand for laptops has increased by over 700% using up all the computer foundries output. Every other vertical market does not have the returns of the laptop industry. The main five foundries are building new ones as fast as possible but judging by the existing and incremental demand this situation will still exist until the end of 2024. The lead time for a car is dependent on how cute your dealer is. Some of the larger ones have placed forward orders and secured a manufacturing slot where the car configuration can be changed up until a confirmed date is issued by Audi. Basically it is a lottery which applies to Audi and every other car manufacurer.
Ahh - that's really interesting.
I knew of the semi conductor shortage but thought this was all covid related due to shut-downs and slow-downs, but hadn't thought about the laptop aspect which of course makes a lot of sense.

When I was ordering the new car in December, the dealer told me he had 3 x Q5's in the showroom he could sell me there and then, but I didn't want one until September this year due to company policy of only renewing after 3 years.

I think if you are not too fussy on the configuration, you can likely pick up a new one quite quickly.

·
Still Game
5,092 Posts
I believe most of the chips and semi-conductors are manufactured in China and there was a fire in one of their big factories.

·
Premium Member
Q5 55 tfsi e Competition, all boxes ticked, Navarra Blue
239 Posts
The fire is true but 80% of Chinas chip manufacturing comes from Shanghai and because of Chinas zero Covid-19 policy, Shanghai with all its factories and 25m people was shut down. Over the 2 year ish Covid-19 period it was shut down for just over 8 months. The largest global chip foundries are in Taiwan, TSMC and Samsung.

·
Registered
Audi SQ5 2015
2,191 Posts
They are factories not foundries.
In the microelectronics industry, a semiconductor fabrication plant (commonly called a fab; sometimes foundry) is a factory where devices such as integrated circuits are manufactured.

• Helpful
Reactions: missile
1 - 10 of 10 Posts