Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

This week our Q is being build!! ordered first week of June,so we are very happy!
We are hoping to pick it up in 3 weeks.
Is that reasonable???

Anyway,we are thinking about wintertyres,does somebody have them??
Do you need them,because of the quattro??
And is it better to buy a new set of alloys with wintertyres?? or just fit them on our 'original' alloys???

We ordered the 2.0 TDI special edition,so the 20" alloys,anyone who have the same car,what's in the instruction manual,can you attach chains or is it not possible?

Lots of questions.... Thanks for your help!!

Ciao

·
Registered
963 Posts
Hi,

Delivery sounds about right compared to others on here.

If i spent any amount of time where the temperatures were below 5 degrees or there was a likely hood of prolonged snow conditions or I went sking then I would definately have a set of winter tyres on a spare set of wheels. Audi do a set of 17" winter alloys and tyres. 17" is best for winter use!

Even with quattro or a normal 4x4....traction is only as good as the rubber. I've heard that on
the Q5 winter tyres really make a big difference.

I don't think you can fit snow chains to 20" wheels because of the clearance.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Hi,

Delivery sounds about right compared to others on here.

If i spent any amount of time where the temperatures were below 5 degrees or there was a likely hood of prolonged snow conditions or I went sking then I would definately have a set of winter tyres on a spare set of wheels. Audi do a set of 17" winter alloys and tyres. 17" is best for winter use!

Even with quattro or a normal 4x4....traction is only as good as the rubber. I've heard that on
the Q5 winter tyres really make a big difference.

I don't think you can fit snow chains to 20" wheels because of the clearance.
Hi, I totally agree with Josh. Even a dedicated LR is dodgy on snow & Ice with the wrong rubber. I'm regularly out with a Mountain Rescue Team in Scotland through the winter and drive across Norway each January on winter tyres. The difference is incredible for both forward movement and braking. I took delivery Sept. 1st and am still waiting for my extra set of alloys and winter tyres from Audi (approx. ?1000 set) I intend to swap my 19" rims each winter. My only concern is that fitting 17inch tyres might throw the tyre pressure monitor.
I am told Audi do supply snowchains for their winter wheels which, unusually, go on the rear wheels. However,I very much doubt snow chains would be required in all but our most severe winters.
Having said that, Now that I've ordered tham guarantees no snow for the next 3 years!

·
Registered
963 Posts
Put it another way........I've seen people up in the mountains in winter with snow and ice wearing summer walking boots wondering why they can't stand up. So I stroll past with my crampons on and ice axe in my hand muttering "stupid idiots" or words to that effect.

My RRS did really well last two winters on summer tyres but only just.

Anyone thinking they need snow chains should be buying the correct 17" wheels and winter tyres that do take snow chains!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info guys!!

Dont like the 17" alloys to be honest,they will look very small comparising the 20".
Think I will go for 20" wintertyres on my original alloys in combination with: www.autosock.co.uk

If somebody have the 20" alloys,can you fit chains on them??? Is there something in the manual?

Thanks!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have 20" rims and Weissenfels "Klack & Go SUV" snowchains from snowchains.co.uk. I have fitted them as a trial run and they seem fine and fairly easy to fit(only got them a couple of weeks ago).
You can only fit them to the rear wheels as there is not enough clearance on the fronts. This is in the manual and I believe applies to all Q5's regardless of wheel size.
I too am thinking of getting a new set of alloys with winter tyres. I will probably go for 18" as the snow chains fit both sizes.
The only winter tyres I can find that fit the 20" are pirelli scorpion ice and snow at about ?230 a corner whereas there is a lot more choice and a big price difference on the 18" about ?150 a corner.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I had a bit of a slide last winter in my RRS fitted with 20" wheels and hit a kerb making a 5" gouge in the rim of my alloy! If I'd had smaller wheels and bigger tyre side walls it wouldn't have caused any damage.
So bigger side Walls have an advantage. But there is also a major advantage of having narrow wheels in snow. Less is more in winter. It's not a coincidence that Audis winter wheel package is made up of 17" wheels and snow/ice tyres.
30 years experience of 4x4 driving all over the world is the basis of my knowledge and I'm still learning.

Good luck.

Do your research

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have got the 17" Audi winter wheel/tyre combo - cannot wait till the end of November to get them on the car. I thought they were excellent value for money - where else would you get Audi oe wheels for just over ?100 each - total cost as previously mentioned was about ?1000 depending on what discount your dealer will give you
I also bought the Audi wheel jackets to keep them cosy in the garage ?80 the set of 4 - my garage now looks like an F1 pit lane garage!!

The tyres are rated way above motorway driving speeds so I will probably keep them on permanently till the end of March before putting the 20's back on for the summer - also the 17" rubber is cheaper than the 20!
kc

·
Registered
29 Posts
KC where did you get your 17" wheel/Tyre combo from that is one hell of a deal.
I just called my Audi dealer and they don't do any combo deals and want ?470 per 17" wheel plus ?180 for Tyres.

·
Registered
273 Posts
KC where did you get your 17" wheel/Tyre combo from that is one hell of a deal.
I just called my Audi dealer and they don't do any combo deals and want ?470 per 17" wheel plus ?180 for Tyres.
Patch,
My dealer is charging me ?1186.97 for a set of 17" alloys and Dunlop SP Winter Sports tyres. I too would be interested if anyone is getting them cheaper.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Rowan,

That's still a pretty good deal compared to the ?2600 the are quoting me in Taunton.
To be honest I don't think the guy had much of a clue as he told me at least twice that he wouldn't recommend that I drop to 17" and that the "manufacturer recommends" that you stay with the size of wheel the car comes with.
I had to point out that the 20" wheels were an upgrade and the standard wheels for a Q5 are 17".

Which dealer are you getting yours from? I also would be interested to know if anyone has done better and where from.

·
Registered
147 Posts
For those that are interested - or those who wish to argue with their respective dealers

Here is a scan of my original invoice ?987 + vat for 4,

kc

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
Back last March I was having similar issues finding compatible wheels. Audi were asking daft prices. Other suppliers did not give me confidence that they would fit or be up to the job. With some guidnace on specs from this forum I eventually bought a set of Borbet 17" alloys from Automotive Wheels 01732 400 150 automotivewheels.co.uk and Vredestein Wintrac 4 xtreme tires from myTires.

The alloys are to Audi's spec for the Q5 and my local garage did check the aloys out and fit the tires. In all the cost was arround ?1200. Of course the real test will come in a couple months when I switch to them.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Are there any All Season Tyres available as a compromise

·
Registered
29 Posts
Found another local dealer in Yeovil that will do a set for ?1,160 including VAT and fitting so I'll be placing an order tomorrow I just need to see if I can now strike a better deal if I also order a collapsible spare wheel.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Rowan,

That's still a pretty good deal compared to the ?2600 the are quoting me in Taunton.
To be honest I don't think the guy had much of a clue as he told me at least twice that he wouldn't recommend that I drop to 17" and that the "manufacturer recommends" that you stay with the size of wheel the car comes with.
I had to point out that the 20" wheels were an upgrade and the standard wheels for a Q5 are 17".

Which dealer are you getting yours from? I also would be interested to know if anyone has done better and where from.
Edinburgh Audi - However they are a long time in coming!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ordered my winter wheels today and a collapsible spare wheel.

Managed to get the 17" wheels plus winter tyres for ?1,100.00 including fitting (?60.00 off) and the spare wheel for ?421.49 (20% Discount).

Not such a bad deal in the end but I still think the spare should come as standard.

Patch

1 - 20 of 20 Posts