Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Lucky we dont have have to face those conditions in Aust. I'd be like a fish out of water

·
Still Game
4,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't know which is worse plus 40 or minus 4 degrees?

Put another steak on that barbe for me m8

·
Registered
292 Posts
Sure I can cook it on the Q5 bonnet, reached 45.8 in sydney this week....too hottt

·
Banned
842 Posts
Identical cars

Which are different weights, sizes, have different wheel dimensions and ones a manual and ones an automatic.

Still wouldn't be without my Pirelli snow and ice scorpions!

·
Registered
963 Posts
I read a report yesterday suggesting that the new Continental winter contact TS850 might be suitable for all year UK use.

I think tyre manufacturers should put some effort into providing an all year solution for the UK. They seem to be able to sort things for other larger markets leaving us to compromise time and time again.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Just a thought. Stopping quickly is obviously good. But if the vehicle behind you has summer tyres on then there is a greater risk of a rear collision.

·
Banned
801 Posts
Just a thought. Stopping quickly is obviously good. But if the vehicle behind you has summer tyres on then there is a greater risk of a rear collision.
But then you are not to blame for road accidents. Guilt borne by the driver who hit your vehicle rear

·
Registered
422 Posts

·
Banned
842 Posts
Well Quattro and Snow and Ive tyres have performed brilliantly this morning. As sure footed as a mountain goat!

·
Registered
578 Posts
I've been driving the A8 quattro (on summers) all weekend and got home last night at 1am with no problems at all. I had to go down side roads which had deep snow and ice and the car handled it without even seeing the ESP light. Personally I think that winter tyres are great HOWEVER they are a huge pain to fit every year and store plus a significant cost. Winters are useless with less than 4mm tread so you may not get a huge about of life out of them. All together this is a pain which is not really worthwhile for the 1 week of snow we usually get in most of the UK IMO unless you do a load of driving and really need your car working (i.e for work or if you have a baby on the way or something).

If you are an experienced driver with quattro you can drive safely on summers. Some of the 2 wheel drive German cars need winter tyres just to move in the snow (like my A5 did) so this would be a must. Last night the side roads were peppered with BMW and Mercs who obviously had given up and ditched the car.

If the weather continues like this I think we will see more "all season" tyres being offered. I would consider all season next time on my car but there is no way I am shelling out for separate winters. I am very impressed with the Audi Quattro and I felt safe most of the time (breaking is a little more delicate). As long as you are sensible and keep well below the speed limit with lots of room ahead of you the car will be fine.

Reactions: Rog and Steppy

·
Registered
578 Posts
I had a huge argument with Spinjun last year, told him to go back to his motherland of Beirut, shame he didn't heed my advice!

Reactions: missile

·
Banned
842 Posts
I've been driving the A8 quattro (on summers) all weekend and got home last night at 1am with no problems at all. I had to go down side roads which had deep snow and ice and the car handled it without even seeing the ESP light. Personally I think that winter tyres are great HOWEVER they are a huge pain to fit every year and store plus a significant cost. Winters are useless with less than 4mm tread so you may not get a huge about of life out of them. All together this is a pain which is not really worthwhile for the 1 week of snow we usually get in most of the UK IMO unless you do a load of driving and really need your car working (i.e for work or if you have a baby on the way or something).

If you are an experienced driver with quattro you can drive safely on summers. Some of the 2 wheel drive German cars need winter tyres just to move in the snow (like my A5 did) so this would be a must. Last night the side roads were peppered with BMW and Mercs who obviously had given up and ditched the car.

If the weather continues like this I think we will see more "all season" tyres being offered. I would consider all season next time on my car but there is no way I am shelling out for separate winters. I am very impressed with the Audi Quattro and I felt safe most of the time (breaking is a little more delicate). As long as you are sensible and keep well below the speed limit with lots of room ahead of you the car will be fine.
Totally agree with you Kramer. The reason I switched to the Q5 was due to getting stuck in the snow 2-3 years ago and 2 years ago having an accident costing me my NCB and nearly a £1k hike in insurance premiums (also live in a high theft risk area). I'm lucky in that I have a mate with a garage who can store and fit my tyres. As you say its probably the Quattro that does most the work but for me I'd rather be safe than sorry...

Hows the A8 treating you?

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I managed to get the ESP light to come on a few times down an untreated road this weekend. I am of the opinion that you need to "explore" what your car can do in a controlled environment so you get to know it better to help you handle those tricky moments.

It's the first time I have driven a 4wd in the snow and ice and I was impressed with the difference.

·
Banned
842 Posts
Exactly Ransman, was so tempted to find an empty car park this morning but had to get to work!

·
Registered
214 Posts
I did the ESP off test in a car park at the weekend and it was interesting so i used the other half of the carpark with ESP on and the difference was very obvious when braking!

car and nut driver were both safe as i waited til it was empty to do it and made sure i stayed clear of kerbs!

ESP off is better for snow and ice

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I understand Land Rover offer "free" off- road courses if you are interested in one of their vehicles. If Audi offered the same I would take them up on it (as long as it wasn't my car :)).

·
Registered
963 Posts
I understand Land Rover offer "free" off- road courses if you are interested in one of their vehicles. If Audi offered the same I would take them up on it (as long as it wasn't my car :)).
I've done the LR stage 1 and 2 course. I got the first one free and i paid for the second. Anyone can pay and do there courses. The techniques they will teach you can be applied to any vehicle as most of the latest LR/RR's don't have the extra diff locks fitted as they are a cost option that most people won't pay for lol.

So i think it is worth going and doing a 2 day course. There are a few places around the UK to choose from, but the best is definitely Eastnor Castle.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts