Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hy people,

Few days ago I bought winter tyres for my Audi Q5 2.0 TFSI. For long time I was thinking which one should I get, I decided to for Bridgestone Blizzak LM 80, the new model of winter tyred from Bridgestone. In your opinion have I made a mistake? I could not find any tests of this tyre because it is new model 2011 and Bridgestone is premium brand in tyre ind. :/ My wheels are 235/65R17.

Thank you all

·
Registered
578 Posts
Hi, I don't think you've made a mistake at all - Bridgestone are a premium brand and as long as the tyres carry the snow symbol I would have thought you'd be fine. The most common mistake people make is buying the wrong size but yours are spot on. There are quite a few members on here with different views on winter wheels, many opted for the winter wheen package with 17s and Dunlop 3D's - I have gone for 18" genuine SE alloys with Nokian WR G2 winter tyres. It will be interesting over the winter months to see how our sets compare and even more interesting to see Q5 without winter tyres getting stuck in 2" of snow

·
Banned
842 Posts
I've gone for the Pirelli snow and Ice tyres for ours but fitting them direct to the 20" S-Line SE factory rims to avoid any complication on insurance. Will report back in a few months once we have had a few days bad weather mind you its 14 degrees in Leeds today so will wait for the temperatures to consistently drop below 7 degrees before we fit them...

·
Registered
578 Posts
I checked with my insurer and they said the following:

COVERED
We can cover your car with any of the modifications below. We don't need to know about them.
  • Air conditioning
  • Alloy wheels worth less than £1000
  • Audio system worth less than £1000*
  • Modifications solely due to disability
  • Permanently fitted satellite navigation
  • Sunroof
  • Bull bars
  • Tow bar
  • Stainless steel exhaust
  • Roof racks, bars, bike racks or top boxes
  • Professionally converted to LPG (Liquid Petroleum Gas)
As my wheels are Audi SE wheels I think I'm ok.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Kramer.....Do you actually think that the standard tyres are going to be so bad in 2" of snow?

My last car was a RRS on summer tyres and I had no problem commuting 60 miles every day in bad snow over a couple of winters. Admittedly it would have been even better with winter tyres. The only advantage the RRS had over the Q5 was that I could raise the suspension so that I was above the drifts of deep snow.

Imho....driving according to the conditions is really important. I lived in W Germany for a few years in the days before winter tyres and had some guidance. I even managed to crash a tank on an icy stretch of road
and nearly ended up in someones back garden after knocking down a few trees. Weight/speed/black ice under the snow........No damage though.

When I was in the RRS I had people overtaking me in less able vehicles. I would have laughed my head off in they had ended up in a ditch.

My mate was driving me one night in the snow on a road we knew well in a front wheel drive car on summer tyres. As we went towards the 90 degree right hand bend I said "Too fast!" at 35 mph and sure enough we just made the turn and gracefully slid sideways into the big ditch Lol

Tyres will help. But it's not the whole story

·
Registered
578 Posts
Rog - I have a flat drive which is about 5m long, last winter my Audi A5 with 20" audi wheels and standard tyres couldn't even get off the drive, I was stuck for three weeks and I even video recorded it as work didn't believe me. I did a lot of research on the Q5 in snow and the Quattro does help but there are still multiple accounts of people getting stuck in 2" of snow!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Rog - I have a flat drive which is about 5m long, last winter my Audi A5 with 20" audi wheels and standard tyres couldn't even get off the drive, I was stuck for three weeks and I even video recorded it as work didn't believe me. I did a lot of research on the Q5 in snow and the Quattro does help but there are still multiple accounts of people getting stuck in 2" of snow!
Hello kramer was your A5 a quattro or 2 wheel drive.

·
Registered
578 Posts
2 wheel drive

·
Super Moderator
1,046 Posts
just my point of view!! we had an a4 cab auto front wheel drive no winter tyres and a Q5 on standard 20" wheels and tyres ,felt a lot safer in the A4 than the Q in the snow,even felt safer in my van.

Rich

·
Registered
578 Posts
@rapidcool are you going for winter tyres this year?

·
Registered
963 Posts
What always amazes me and I saw it on the news a few days a go and had personal experience of it.

Cars having accidents in the snow. Police car rolls up in the snow on its summer tyres with no problem. I can assure you the Police and other Emergency services don't change tyres when it snows as it's too expensive, but they may carry snow socks. They have the odd 4x4, but even they do not have winter or off road tyres fitted.

I always found digging the snow of your drive guarantees you'll be able to drive on/off it.
A brisk walk with the dog gives you an appreciation of the conditions under the snow and you can check out the other drivers
Thus you can then make a decision as to whether you should heed the Police advice to stay at home

Unless of course you are part of the emergency services as I was and I had to go to work to rescue the great British public

I hope you all have a safe journey

·
Registered
578 Posts
Rog - even if I had of cleared the drive it I wouldn't have got up the hill to get out of our cul-de-sac, if you don't believe be check out my YouTube video:

Big summer tyres are cr&p in the snow. The piddly 16" wheels on police cars are fine in the snow but not 20" summer tyres on high-end vehicles.

Reactions: missile

·
Registered
963 Posts
Kramer - I get your point and how could I not beleive you.

Hope you did a whip round with the neighbours and got some rock salt from B&Q. Our cul-de-sac last winter turned out with the shovels and cleared the snow. I had a little chuckle when it had a little thaw and turned to sheet ice.

On the piddly tyre front the top end performance cars are not running on 16". Could you immagine a 3.0 V6 loaded with heavy accident kit on piddly little tyres. But I may just have highlighted a factor.......weight in the vehicle to give traction. Where I kept my horse the owner of the yard had one of those Mitsuibishi 4x4 4cab things........he couldn't get any traction on the snow/ice and was sliding all over the place instead of going forward. A few concrete blocks in the back load area on top of the axle made all the difference!

·
Registered
130 Posts
I had absolutely no problem last winter in getting traction with standard tyres on the Q5. I could reverse up my angled drive covered in a few inches of snow with not even a wheel spin. Our BMW couldn't even get over the pavement!

HOWEVER quattro does nothing for you when you need to stop suddenly. You slide with the rest of them. This is why you still need winter tyres on a 4wd- its not so much getting going, its stopping or turning safely.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I had absolutely no problem last winter in getting traction with standard tyres on the Q5. I could reverse up my angled drive covered in a few inches of snow with not even a wheel spin. Our BMW couldn't even get over the pavement!

HOWEVER quattro does nothing for you when you need to stop suddenly. You slide with the rest of them. This is why you still need winter tyres on a 4wd- its not so much getting going, its stopping or turning safely.
Excellent advice!

·
Still Game
4,615 Posts
My q5 managed OK during the previous two winters. A few times I thought I would benefit from winter tyres. This year I fitted Audi package and sods law = we have a mild winter so far.

·
Banned
842 Posts
My q5 managed OK during the previous two winters. A few times I thought I would benefit from winter tyres. This year I fitted Audi package and sods law = we have a mild winter so far.
I crashed at low speed last winter trying to steer round a parked car coming down a hill and that was on low profile summer tyres on 18" rims.

We may have had a mild winter so far but I for one dont want to tempt fate so I'm on Pirelli snow and ice tyres this year! Sod's law would have been if you hadn't put them on we would have had another arctic winter!

·
Still Game
4,615 Posts
I crashed at low speed last winter trying to steer round a parked car coming down a hill and that was on low profile summer tyres on 18" rims.
I have an S line. Wide low profile tyres are not the best for winter use. It was the fear that I might do something similar that convinced me it was worth the money.

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Kramer.....Do you actually think that the standard tyres are going to be so bad in 2" of snow?

My last car was a RRS on summer tyres and I had no problem commuting 60 miles every day in bad snow over a couple of winters. Admittedly it would have been even better with winter tyres. The only advantage the RRS had over the Q5 was that I could raise the suspension so that I was above the drifts of deep snow.

Imho....driving according to the conditions is really important. I lived in W Germany for a few years in the days before winter tyres and had some guidance. I even managed to crash a tank on an icy stretch of road
and nearly ended up in someones back garden after knocking down a few trees. Weight/speed/black ice under the snow........No damage though.

When I was in the RRS I had people overtaking me in less able vehicles. I would have laughed my head off in they had ended up in a ditch.

My mate was driving me one night in the snow on a road we knew well in a front wheel drive car on summer tyres. As we went towards the 90 degree right hand bend I said "Too fast!" at 35 mph and sure enough we just made the turn and gracefully slid sideways into the big ditch Lol

Tyres will help. But it's not the whole story
Rog,

I agree with you 100% there. Ran my Q5 on 20" with standard tyres all last winter on some pretty appauling, un-cleared roads and she never missed a beat, and the snow was a damn site deeper than 2" If you don't drive according to the conditions you are going to get caught out sooner or later regardless of what tyres you have on. I have lost count of the number of people that have shot past me in bad conditions thinking that they are infallible only to see them two miles down the road firmly planted in a hedge or ditch. If it takes me 25 M more to stop then I will be driving accordingly.

Cheers and all the best,

Kev

1 - 20 of 29 Posts