Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

We have done some research and looked at the best winter tyres online at the moment including a look at price and reviews to get you through the worst of the terrible weather this winter.

Click here and have a look.

Thanks
Andy

·
Registered
348 Posts
Well, mounted mine today on the SQ5, looks strange those 19 inches

Paid 680 euro for 4 Bridgestone Blizzard tyres

·
Registered
325 Posts
No offence - but so pleased I sourced 20"s

Reactions: Robin T

·
Banned
842 Posts
I'm sure Robin won't take offence its a practicality over style thing I guess

My 20" dunlop 3d winter sports go on next Friday (Dont have any winter wheels but have a mate with a garage to swap the rubber).

·
Registered
433 Posts
Not swapping over yet still early this year, but everything is in my garage ready to go at anytime.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Indeed no offense, it was more a matter of what I still had in the garage that would fit the SQ

I never change winter and summer tyres on the same alloys

·
Registered
768 Posts
From Tuesday 5th I'll be driving on the 17" Audi winter wheel and tyre package. At least with the darker mornings approaching nobody'll see my car's wheels on the way into the city, but I should be safer. Oh vanity!

Reactions: ....

·
Registered
433 Posts
Hectorshouse
Yes big difference with the 17's on and the looks but you get used to it after a couple of months, but glad to get the 20's back on.

Reactions: Hectorshouse

·
Registered
794 Posts
I take it your car is out of warranty and the Insurance Company are ok about you fitting 17's to a 20?

·
Registered
768 Posts
My car's in warranty, the dealer fitted the Audi tyre package, and my insurance company is absolutely fine. I always double check with my insurers, which really hacks me off after 6 years in Norway where you were irresponsible if you didn't fit them!

·
Banned
842 Posts
I've checked many times with insurers. They are quite happy with the wheel size providing they are OEM wheels seemed to be the consensus. Its when you modify to an non OEM part they become more concerned.

·
Registered
422 Posts
This may well answer insurance quires for fitment of Winter Tyres.
Many motorists fit their vehicles with winter tyres to make driving easier in extreme weather conditions.
Most motor insurers do not charge additional premiums for vehicles fitted with winter tyres, provided that the tyres are roadworthy and have been fitted in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions.

To find out if your insurer charges extra for vehicles fitted with winter tyres or if you need to tell your insurer you are fitting winter tyres, go to the PDF below.

Attachments

·
Registered
794 Posts
Most motor insurers do not charge additional premiums for vehicles fitted with winter tyres, provided that the tyres are roadworthy and have been fitted in accordance with the manufacturers instructions .
That's where we fall over - Audi will NOT recommend 17's in place of 20's - I already called 3 different Audi garages about it and all blatantly said NO WAY - they will not fit them and instruct you not to.

Said the car will not be covered by warranty with these wheels fitted.

So although your Q5 may still be under warranty - it won't be when you fit the wrong wheels (even with more appropriate and better tyres for winter), and technically you could therefore be driving without valid insurance that won't cover you in the event of an accident.

Be careful out there.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Rifleman, I checked with both Audi customer services and my dealer, and my 17" winter package is approved by both parties. It's worth a call to customer services. Best wishes ...hh

Reactions: rifleman
1 - 16 of 16 Posts