Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
SQ-MASTER
2,468 Posts
So had my windscreen replaced today after speaking to insurance,and making sure I'd have AUDI acoustic original screen fitted ,the fitter turns up ,so I leave and go to work,when I come home 4hrs later I notice a pattern screen has been fitted,and he's damaged the wrap on drivers side,he's ended up cutting it by mistake ,leaving a gap ,showing the original black,I rung fitter imidiatley,he said it was a tough job and he'd realised what he'd done,forgot to tell the misses who signed for,and was sorry,I then rung his boss who wasn't available,PA told me to email pic of damage,they'll b in touch tomorrow ,am I entitled to Audi original screen as car is over a year old ?,the one they've fitted is acoustic ????
????

·
Registered
Audi SQ5 2015
1,897 Posts
Do you mean the one that they fitted is not acoustic? What cowboy oufit is this, sound terrible?

·
Registered
236 Posts
I would be more upset about the pattern screen than the wrap as it will come off at some point and if nothing more the wrap took the brunt of the damage and not the paintwork!

I'm sure you have checked that it is only the wrap that is damaged and no marks on the paint underneath?

It also depends on the if the fitter seemed like a genuine guy or if he was rushing to get it done and did not really care

·
Registered
236 Posts
Not a genuine Audi screen or one from an Audi approved supplier.

·
SQ-MASTER
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you mean the one that they fitted is not acoustic? What cowboy oufit is this, sound terrible?
It's a non genuine factory screen,but is acoustic ,the story thickens ,so rang fitting firm today,they said they just supplied the labour for nationwide windscreens,but it was there fault the glass was wrong,and there responsible for the damage as it was there job,weird,they've also said there in talks with them 2 discus a resolution,and will b in touch Monday ????

·
Banned
489 Posts
Sad to hear of issues SQ-BEAST. Will the whole roof line need to be re-wrapped?
I was wondering whether Q5 windscreens are particularly prone to chips as I've just got another after just 9 months since the last one, which resulted in a new windscreen. I did eventually get an Audi OEM acoustic but if the chip fill gunk doesn't work again (process caused large cracks) then it'll be yet another windscreen for me. I only hope my insurance company still pay up as I suspect this is an expensive item....

·
SQ-MASTER
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sad to hear of issues SQ-BEAST. Will the whole roof line need to be re-wrapped?
I was wondering whether Q5 windscreens are particularly prone to chips as I've just got another after just 9 months since the last one, which resulted in a new windscreen. I did eventually get an Audi OEM acoustic but if the chip fill gunk doesn't work again (process caused large cracks) then it'll be yet another windscreen for me. I only hope my insurance company still pay up as I suspect this is an expensive item....
Yes I had mine repaired a couple of times,and it didn't seem to work,for a proper job it mite need the whole roof to b wrapped,I haven't been back to company that done it yet as I'm waiting to c what I windscreen company says ????

·
Registered
73 Posts
terrible job this, let us know how you get on. Did you request the Audi windscreen at the time of order and they said it would be fitted, and then send this other company to do the work probably without telling them.

I remember a long time ago on my Lotus Elise I had a screen fitted and they found it a tough job and damaged the bonnet which had to be replaced, very annoying

·
SQ-MASTER
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Having Argo,the fitting company have totally said not there problem,haven't been help been helpful ,just passed the buck to windscreen supplier,told me to basically contact them ,so done this yesterday ,the guy was helpful,but said usually when a customer insists on OEM GLASS, the customer pays the difference between the pattern and original,also he believes in my insurance small print it says they only supply pattern windscreens,and as far as the wrap being damaged ,it's down to my insurance company on who they blame and what action to take,they were supposed to call me today,but surprise surprise ,NO CALL ????

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
FFS what a tale of woe

·
SQ-MASTER
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Standard ,no 1 wants to tale the blame,insurance said they'll b in touch ????

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi I've been fitting windscreens in the south west for 36 years and we are sometimes asked by nationwide to fit glass on there behalf , which means they have glass delivered
and they pay us to fit it. so if oem glass requested it's up to nationwide to supply it , to be fair Pilkington branded glass is as good or better than oem . ( check inv for aga at start of part no.)
had bmw z4 customer insist on oem glass so purchased from bmw and rain sensor bracket detached from glass after 2 weeks, ref . wraping gap between glass and roof is only 5mm
so vinyl would be awkward to fit between glass and roof without removing windscreen which means when removing broken windscreen vinyl would be stuck to top of windscreen seal which
is stuck to underside of glass so easy to tear and considering wrap not standard factory fit could be difficult to claim for if not fitted under glass. not saying that I would tear vinyl if replacing your screen but may warn you of problems before I started job ,would always check correct glass to be fitted before starting job i.e. acoustic , rain sensor, lane guidance, not saying you have not had shoddy job just pointing out situation
from so called expert!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
reading posts again I feel you may have been treated unfairly . if you had a problem I would sort it with nationwide and make sure any problems were resolved
in a rural community the last thing you want is a useless windscreen fitter

·
Still Game
4,674 Posts
OP could raise an action for damages in the small claims court. Unfortunately his wife signed for the shoody job and OP doesn't have a contract with the windscreen fitter.

I have heard many similar stories where owners struggle to get satisfaction where shoddy repairs with their insurance appointed body shop.

·
SQ-MASTER
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanx 4 advice,as it stands I still haven't heard from insurance company ,and I haven't rung them yet ,been busy,will try them 2dsy ????

1 - 17 of 17 Posts