Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you might remember my comment that I had done some damage to the skirts when changing out my wheels for winters. I noticed on one of the rears that the thread was rubbing against the skirt, even though I thought I had aligned perfectly (and even had a rag on top of the thread). Now I know that I only damaged one wheel point (nearside rear) and made sure I didn't damage the rest of the jacking points, but low and behold when changing back to summers yesterday (using a trolley jack instead) I noticed that I had damaged three out of the four jacking points (where the thread rubbed)

I can only assume that the thread rubbed on the way down, rather than on the way up, and to be honest I didn't pay any attention on the way down (just assumed that it would follow the same path).

So my first question is, has anybody else jacked up (a SQ5) with the OEM jack and caused damage? Second question is about SMART repairs in the SE.... any recommendations? Audi Maidstone fixed a scratch on delivery in house, so maybe worth asking them to look?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hi mate, thats a real bummer... could you put a pic on to show the damage?

I've not used SMART myself, but I regularly see them working at Bexley Audi doing bodywork and wheel referbs...

My father-in-law's used ChipsAway several times...

·
Registered
952 Posts
If you used the standard jack and used it as intended I would be having a chat with Audi about the damage.

·
Still Game
4,617 Posts
Hm..... not good. Smart repairs are generally a franchise and it can be hit or miss, i.e. some are very good, others not so. I got repair done by bob the bodger and ended up re-doing it myself.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you used the standard jack and used it as intended I would be having a chat with Audi about the damage.
Granted my drive is at a (very) slight incline and the manual says the car has to be flat level. But if you have a flat at the side of the road the chances are that the incline is going to be way more than my drive. That said even on flat ground, the clearance (if you can call it that) has got to be more or less 1-3mm

·
Registered
256 Posts
This is the offside front which IIRC offers more clearance than the rears. I took this photo in the garage, but the other side is really mangled up.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Yeah - happened on the last white Q5 we had. I took the wheels off to paint the callipers before sale
I just used a touch up and it wasn't visible afterwards. No one picked it up.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I thought it was the rears, but guess you're right as both of the fronts are scuffed. Like I said earlier, I made sure I didn't do it again with the others on the way up, but it must have happened on the way down. I'm still kicking myself that I did it.. but the SQ5 sits lower doesn't it?

·
Registered
706 Posts
I don't have my Q5 yet but do a lot of diy on the car. If the jack is similar to other audi's I have had, then the screw thread should always be perfectly horizontal to the ground.

Reactions: marky9074

·
Registered
31 Posts
I spotted this potential problem first time I used the jack, I found that if I positioned the foot of he jack further inboard it wasn't an issue. I also found the jack particularly easy to use considering the Q5's weight. It would be better if Audi gave some advice about this it would be so easy to get this wrong, particularly if trying to change a wheel in difficult circumstances. Good news its in a very inconspicuous place.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I'm about to change from my winter to summer tyres and rims, but given the concerns expressed above I'm either going to buy a trolley jack or call round to my local tyrefitter. Looks to me that the standard Audi jack should be used solely in emergencies!

·
Registered
256 Posts
So, the jack point and the skirt in the picture are "good"? if not, what is the damage?
Eh? There is a scuff where the thread rubbed against the bodywork. Its not big (in that photo) but is quite bad on the other side of the car (which I couldn't get to at the time to take a photo)

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hmm feel a bit stupid now. Went back out and did it again, and had a finger clearance on the way up (but seemingly less on the way down). The only thing I can put it down to was the stiffness of the foot of the jack. I don't remember forcing the foot to swivel to its maximum (I just put it on the floor and started winding the handle).

·
Registered
952 Posts
Will a trolley jack help the situation?

·
Registered
768 Posts
Will a trolley jack help the situation?
According to work colleagues it should. But I'm still verging on getting them swapped over either at local dealership or tyrefitter.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts