Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings Q5 lovers...

I have a 2011 Q5 3.2 and took the car in for its 15,000 mile service and was told the front inner brake is "at the minimum, 5mm, and the front outer brake is below , at 4mm" they're recommding new pads/rotors at a total cost of about $800 parts and labor.

I live in Los Angeles - so there's some stop and go driving, but it seems really excessive that the brakes wold be this worn, this early? The dealer claims that they get to this point anywhere from 15k to 25k on new Q5s. Any idea why they're so worn so early? Is it really just my driving style and don't brake pads and rotors tend to last longer on lesser cars??!! thanks in advance

·
Registered
578 Posts
I had the same thing on a previous Audi, an A5 2.0T, it had issues and went to Audi and they fixed the car but said I needed new pads and discs (rotors). I had done around 15k miles too, they wanted £500. I told them that as the warning light wasn't on this couldn't be urgent and I didn't want the brakes replaced - I drove for a further 4,000 miles before the light even came on and then a further 1,500 miles before having them replaced - the garage said there was still some pad left (2mm) at this stage.

I never got the dics/rotors changed, I think they should be done every other brake pad change at the MOST - changing the dics/rotors every 15k is madness and it is just lining Audi's pockets.

Also I bought the correct brake pads of ebay for around £50 and paid an indipendent garage £40 to fit them.

Also, we have had older cars that have had the same discs/rotors for 10 years - the disc eventually corrodes/rusts and would eventually crack but you are talking many many years before this is the case.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Also in my old Q7 the brake pads would need replacing every 10k miles - they are made for performance now longevity!

·
Still Game
4,617 Posts
I have 33,000+ miles on my Q5 with the original pads and discs.

At only 15,000 miles, I am surprised you need new pads and amazed you need new dics. It cannot be down to corrosion ....... in LA climate. Did you have similar excessive brake wear rates on your previous car(s)?

I would visit a.n.other Audi dealer and / or make a complaint.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have just had the brake pad wear light come on for the front pads this was at 46K, rears still OK This is a 3L S-tronic so should be hard on the brakes. Local garage replaced both front pads including the sensor for £130. Kwik fit were less but didn't have a clue about the sensor or what it was, decided to stick with somebody that knew what they were doing and pay a bit more.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Common cash-cow for dealers to recommend new pads\discs(rotors). I'd never get an Audi dealer to fit them, as it's a simple job any mechanic can do, or even yourself if you're at all handy and have a few tools.

·
Banned
801 Posts
Common cash-cow for dealers to recommend new pads\discs(rotors). I'd never get an Audi dealer to fit them, as it's a simple job any mechanic can do, or even yourself if you're at all handy and have a few tools.
You can replace the front but for the rear you need vag-com

·
Registered
4 Posts
Good tread guys.

What is a vag-com?

I am smart enough to be dangerous let's say and I want to save a little money and do my own brakes on my Q5. I've done brakes before - I recall basically taking the caliper off - squeezing the caliper back - replacing pads - little grease on pins so caliper slides. Sound about right? Any reason to be worried about doing this for my car?

I think we only need fronts at this point. No shudder, pulse, etc. I'm leaning toward not replacing rotor unless really needed. Thoughts?

Should i go Audi pads or go with really good off brand? Local dealer wanted $132 for just pads. I hear they have some sort of wire connected though - maybe I need to be careful.

Should I grease the pins on the back calipers while I'm dirty? Figure this would help keep the life if the caliper is sliding well. Thoughts?

·
Banned
801 Posts

·
Banned
801 Posts
why do you need this troubleshooting device to change brakes? If I understand correctly - a VCDS gives you error codes.
VCDS has many other functions not only for errors codes

VCDs is needed to open rear brake , which are electromechanical .
Handbrake is not standard, electromechanical parking brake caliper runs an servo motor

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the reply..

1 - Is it pretty easy to do front brakes? Couple bolts - push back caliper, grease pins, new pads, put back together? I think I'll take these on myself. Typically it's something that isn't too difficult.

2 - I want to put good parts on. OEM is expensive though dealer - anyone know of other options for good parts other then my dealer?

·
Still Game
4,617 Posts
It is not rocket science, but be careful.

Any motor factor will sell you pads, or you can order them on line. I would suggest you stick to one of the better known brands and change the brake fluid.

·
Banned
801 Posts
Thanks for the reply..

1 - Is it pretty easy to do front brakes? Couple bolts - push back caliper, grease pins, new pads, put back together? I think I'll take these on myself. Typically it's something that isn't too difficult.

2 - I want to put good parts on. OEM is expensive though dealer - anyone know of other options for good parts other then my dealer?
Send me your email address on PM
I have the manual in PDF the form

·
Registered
1 Posts
Greetings All; tannero and spijun; thank you for the thread. New member here...Just returned from the dealer with my wife's Q5 for its 15k; diagnosed with front pads in need of replacement with 17k miles, could not believe it. 600 US dollars quote for front axle only. Dealer advised the pads are really 'soft' for performance! I have averaged 30k between replacements on the mountain roads in my area, and I do the rotors every other pad change. Hoping for any DIY thread advice since I really don't want to afford 600$ front axle brakes every year.

I have done my own VW and Honda brakes; our first Audi and not familiar with the vag com or VCDS for the rear. As I understand from the helpful posts above, the VCDS is needed to open the rear due to the e-brake....does that apply if the electronic brake is activated, or if on a lift, the ebrake would not be on?

spijun; I would be very interested in learning where you acquired the PDF form, as I would like to attempt for myself. Thanks All for the great thread.

·
Banned
801 Posts
Greetings All; tannero and spijun; thank you for the thread. New member here...Just returned from the dealer with my wife's Q5 for its 15k; diagnosed with front pads in need of replacement with 17k miles, could not believe it. 600 US dollars quote for front axle only. Dealer advised the pads are really 'soft' for performance! I have averaged 30k between replacements on the mountain roads in my area, and I do the rotors every other pad change. Hoping for any DIY thread advice since I really don't want to afford 600$ front axle brakes every year.

I have done my own VW and Honda brakes; our first Audi and not familiar with the vag com or VCDS for the rear. As I understand from the helpful posts above, the VCDS is needed to open the rear due to the e-brake....does that apply if the electronic brake is activated, or if on a lift, the ebrake would not be on?

spijun; I would be very interested in learning where you acquired the PDF form, as I would like to attempt for myself. Thanks All for the great thread.
I see you mention U.S. $
Here's the link for the brakes:
http://store.zeckhau...p?cPath=44_2617
http://www.adamsroto...bum=1&gallery=1
http://brakeperforma...d=impact.radius

Here in post # 2 and 3 You have PDF instructions;
http://forums.audiwo...d.php?t=2843164

http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?t=2843698&highlight=brake

·
Registered
578 Posts
My A8 when in for its 2 yr / 30k service yesterday - mechanic at Beechwood says that both front and back brakes are only 30% worn. Quite surprising after 30k miles!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts