Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon all.
Just a quickie, what tyres do people recommmend in general for the Q5.
I have Dunlop tyres at present on 19'' which came with the car.
No need to change them now however i'm thinking for the future.

Just really want a set that give overall good performance for summer autum and winter (snow) conditions.
Don't drive much in the snow, just need the car to get me back home when it starts then i won't go back in to work til it is more or less cleared up.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Nokian WR G2 SUV tyres seem like a good option so I purchased 4, these are all weather tyres with a focus on winter/snow performance. The Dunlops supplied with the Q5 are excellent in the summer but perform very poorly in the winter/snow with reports of people getting stuck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
maybe i'll look at some chains/ snow socks until my dunlops need changing......any reviews on these on the q5? if so is it best to put them on the front or rear

·
Registered
211 Posts
Do not substitute good winter tires with snow chains. Chains are for really heavy snow/ice - relatively soft surface - should not be used on clean roads. Chains are also limited to ~50kmph. So eventually you need to frequently put them on and off again if conditions change. If you really need them you should put them on rear wheels (it is described somewhere in the manual). Also you should notice that snow chains should not be put on all wheels types that Audi delivers - if the rims are not suitable for chains can be easily damaged (scratched coating).

·
Registered
963 Posts
njg,

Get yourself some snow socks and stuff them in the boot. Good enough for what you describe. I've got some too for the same reasons.

They'll get you out of trouble if you need them. A lot of Police forces and Ambulance services carry them now, as they don't fit winter tyres either. Just remember once on clear roads you have to take them off as they will wear out and keep speed very low.

Also only put them on the rear wheels as there is a suspension strutt that over hangs the front tyres with little clearance. Hence why chains can only go on the back.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Problem with Michelin tyres - 19" Michelin Latitude Sport: Had a puncture a couple of days ago and fixed it with the liquid goo stuff. Seems OK but went to the local tyre dealer to get it checked and fixed properly. Turned out that the puncture is mid way between the bottom of the tyre and the side wall - on the curve - and consequently cannot be easily fixed. Recommendation - a new tyre. However, no replacement tyre to be had in the UK!!! Eventually called the Audi dealer who said they needed to check availability. Same story - none in the UK! They have undertaken to import one from Europe - expected delivery - one week.
Apparently the tyre is unique to the Q5.
Not sure what to think - fundamental spare parts should be available but well done Audi (Yeovil) for pulling out all the stops to resolve my problem in time for Christmas. Oh . . at a cost of £330.00.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I had exactly the same problem last year, though managed to source one from outside of Audi in the end, though it was not easy. I have since bought a couple of really good 7mm second hand tyres with no damage or puncture repairs as 'hot standbys' just incase.

There is alo a garage on eBay currently selling TWO new one's for £398 - ref: 260904347044.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Had a puncture last month and nobody locally, including Audi, said they could source a Michelin Latitude Sport 235/55 R19 AO for several weeks at best.
So decided to order it myself from www.mytyres.co.uk, i believe they dispatch from Germany, it cost me £220.30 inclusive of delivery, it was ordered on a Thursday and it arrived the following Monday. And my local tyre shop then fitted it for £10.

·
Banned
842 Posts
+1 on my tyres always used them and service and price are faultless. Sounds like you need to have some spare tyres yourself in just in case you have a puncture in the Q5 shocking!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Do not buy tyres from your Audi dealer - they are a complete rip off imho?

I replaced a punctured 20" Bridgestone Dueller HP on mine for £203 - the dealer wanted £425 !

·
Registered
578 Posts
Worth buying one and keeping it in the garage no doubt, Audi are a rip off - they offer you no spare wheel and their Roadside cover will only get you back to an Audi dealer who will charge you double the cost for a tyre!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Few years back my local Audi dearlership was the cheapest place to replace a Michelin Sport on my A3 surprisingly.

Not had to replace one of my Michelin Latitudes yet though.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi Guys,

After looking for ages, getting endless rediculus prices and then told none available, ive just had 4 Goodyear Excellance tyres fitted for £699, fully fitted from Charlie Browns, at the mo they have 25% off 4 tyres. The same from kwik fit was £934, oh and they say they have 25 % off 4 tyres aswell.

Matt

·
Registered
98 Posts
why not just get the winter tyre package? 4 x Dunlop 3D wintersports and 4 new alloys for about a grand - saves tyre wear on your normal set and cheaper than replacing the tyres on the bling summer wheels (20" in my case) - you get tyre totes to store the summer set / winter set when the others are on

1 - 14 of 14 Posts