Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Usually I would have thought 1st October would be a good date to switch to the winter set however with the sun today I'm holding off. When do you guys usually put your winters on? I'm now waiting for this Indian summer to end and perhaps in a fortnight I'll be putting them on.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also do I need to store my summer tyres/wheels in any particular way, was just going to leave them stacked in a dry garage, don't have any covers etc. Any recommendations?

·
Super Moderator
1,046 Posts
Also do I need to store my summer tyres/wheels in any particular way, was just going to leave them stacked in a dry garage, don't have any covers etc. Any recommendations?
if you got the audi oem winter wheel/tyre package you should of got the storage bags for free.

Rich

·
Registered
77 Posts
In theory when the forecast has the temperatures dipping below 7 degree mark. I switched at the begining of Nov last year - I little early for the actual bad weather, but then I was glad to do the swap over on a nice day as opposed to when there was snow on the ground. I do want to minimise how long there are on to get several seasons out of the set. I would expect to have to replace them earlier (i..e more tred left) than summer tyres. Not sure that they would have any advantage over summer tyres when down to the 3mm of tread ??

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hear they are less effective at 4mm and therefore should be replaced then ideally. I made my own winter wheels from 18" OEM Q5 wheels (off an SE) and with Nokian WR G2s it cost me £940 all together, I didn't like the look of the Audi 17" in the winter package they offer and whilst 17s would be slightly better than 18s in the snow I didn't want to compromise on looks (I have the S-Line Special Ed with 20s). I don't have any storage bags so was planning to stack them with carboard in between each wheel in the garage over winter, I presume this won't cause an issues with the wheel/tyres?

·
Registered
77 Posts
I store my spare wheels stacked in the garage - does not seam to be a problem.

One further question: When changing over wheels they have a habit of sticking. I have seen recommendations that it is a good idea not only to clean the exposed flat surfaces but to apply copper grease.

Is this a good idea onr not.?

·
Registered
33 Posts

One further question: When changing over wheels they have a habit of sticking. I have seen recommendations that it is a good idea not only to clean the exposed flat surfaces but to apply copper grease.

Yes. A little dab of copper grease on the face of the hub that touches the back of the wheel. It stops the hub corroding onto the alloy.Carefull not to get any on the threads or brakes though.

Probably a bit early, but just put my winters on.

I managed to get a new set of 19" 5 spoke sline wheels from ebay from someone who had done 100 miles and was upgrading. I put on new Falken HS439's winter tyres. Total cost £1100 and at least it will still look semi decent through the winer months. They still look small though compared to the 20's.

·
Super Moderator
1,046 Posts
Yes. A little dab of copper grease on the face of the hub that touches the back of the wheel. It stops the hub corroding onto the alloy.Carefull not to get any on the threads or brakes though.

Probably a bit early, but just put my winters on.

I managed to get a new set of 19" 5 spoke sline wheels from ebay from someone who had done 100 miles and was upgrading. I put on new Falken HS439's winter tyres. Total cost £1100 and at least it will still look semi decent through the winer months. They still look small though compared to the 20's.
as long as the outside wheel circumference hasnt changed you will be fine.you could find if its different the speedo and other stuff may be out

Rich

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just dropped mine on last week, bring on the snow

·
Registered
249 Posts
Still too warm I would have thought. It was 16 degrees in north wales today and forecast for the week is to remain mild.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My Nokians (WR G2s) are supposed to be excellent in heavy rain and are suitable all year round so I put them on early to avoid getting caught out. The weather has been up to 18 degrees here in the daytime so wouldn't have swapped if I had standard winter tyres.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Yea, it's not cold at all. Still, saves on central heating.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Try telling that to Mrs Kramer, winge winge winge "it's too cold, put the heating on" lol.

·
Registered
71 Posts

The copper grease is a good idea. I fitted my summer wheels at the beginning of April without applying copper grease and last weekend, after only 7000 miles, had real difficulty removing them. The method that worked was to jack the wheel off the ground and loosen the bolts a couple of turns, then lower the wheel down again until it took full load. This was enough to break the bond and after jacking up the wheels again they came off easily enough. The winter wheels are now on with copper grease on the contact faces and on the steel to alloy contact.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Just switch to winter wheels - whilst it was still fit to work outside. So bring on the snow.

Must buy a proper wrench - the one supplied is not up the job for bolts tightend to 140Nm and will thus have to relace at least two that lost their edges.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have seen some recommendation to put copper grease on the bolts. I didn't - just applied it to the conact surfaces. Any thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
1,046 Posts
Just switch to winter wheels - whilst it was still fit to work outside. So bring on the snow.

Must buy a proper wrench - the one supplied is not up the job for bolts tightend to 140Nm and will thus have to relace at least two that lost their edges.
Also be careful when using the audi supplied tools they dont scratch the wheel when you are loosening the wheel bolts
.Its worth getting some plastic coated sockets.

Rich

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have seen some recommendation to put copper grease on the bolts. I didn't - just applied it to the conact surfaces. Any thoughts?
Got a great wheel wrench from Halfords a few years ago, cant recommend it highly enough. It's a chrome wrench that extends with a socket on the end. Makes light work of loosening and tightening the bolts. It was only about £12.

You done good, dont put it on the bolts, just the contact surface between wheel and hub.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Also be careful when using the audi supplied tools they dont scratch the wheel when you are loosening the wheel bolts
.Its worth getting some plastic coated sockets.

Rich
Yes on that last point - just bought a Sealey 17mm socket with a PTFE sleeve. Looks the "part", but on reading the label that came with it - Due to the ultra-thin construction not suitable for high torques - I wonder if it is up to the job. At 140Nm the torque for the Q5 is higher than for normal wheel bolts. No details on their web site for the torque spec, so email tech support. Got a email back saying that it is specified to 135Nm. So back to the shop!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts