Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Stewart here
does anybody out there know what products AUDI uses to clean and protect alloy wheels. Also what are other people using for there wheels
thanks Stewart

·
Super Moderator
1,047 Posts
Hi Stewart here
does anybody out there know what products AUDI uses to clean and protect alloy wheels. Also what are other people using for there wheels
thanks Stewart
Hi Stewart,
not sure what audi use but I use R222 wheel cleaner and poor boys wheel sealant.They both work really well the sealant stops a lot of the build up and what does stick comes off real easy

Rich

·
Registered
963 Posts
I use Valet Pro Bilberry wheel cleaner which is a non acid wheel cleaner and is very good. I buy 1 litre at a time. You can use it diluted with water for a gentle clean or neat for a tougher clean. No acid so no damage to your alloys

I use Chemical boys wheel sealant as frequently as the weather allows to stop the brake dust etc sticking

Oh and buy a proper long soft bristle wheel cleaning brush so that you can reach the whole of the inside of the wheel easily

·
Registered
480 Posts
I use AutoGlym Clean Wheels and then AG Alloy Wheel seal...does a good job. May try some of the cleaners etc mentioned above when the AG runs out. Do need to get a long wheel brush but onl ones i can find seem to be hard bristle

·
Super Moderator
1,047 Posts
I use AutoGlym Clean Wheels and then AG Alloy Wheel seal...does a good job. May try some of the cleaners etc mentioned above when the AG runs out. Do need to get a long wheel brush but onl ones i can find seem to be hard bristle
Take the wheels off,much easier and you can fully coat the wheels with the wax

Rich

·
Registered
25 Posts
For the lazy amongst us (namely me) when it comes to cleaning the car, I transfer the AutoGlym Clean Wheels or Wonder Wheels stuff to a normal spray bottle, for example a window cleaner one.

Then as long as you wear a decorating mask (cos when it's an aerosol you don't want to breath it in, trust me), you can get a complete coverage on the wheel really easy, if you wait a min, I find you can then just apply the pressure washer and everything comes off, don't even have to pick up a brush sometimes.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I have the 20" RS wheels and this is the first car I have owned that I can clean inside the wheels, with my hand, via the spokes !

A word of warning though - I now wear kevlar anti-cut gloves as I am still sporting the scar on my right hand, inflicted on me by the "bacon slicer" brake disc guard !!

·
Registered
963 Posts
I have the 20" RS wheels and this is the first car I have owned that I can clean inside the wheels, with my hand, via the spokes !

A word of warning though - I now wear kevlar anti-cut gloves as I am still sporting the scar on my right hand, inflicted on me by the "bacon slicer" brake disc guard !!

Safer with a brush. Can be got from any detailing supplier I would have thought.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Many a cut on the hand from the same brake disc guards!

Going to buy the Tesco brush next time i'm pasing....nice tip

·
Premium Member
363 Posts

Add me to the list of victims

·
Registered
279 Posts
Lads - no need to start taking the wheels off - just wear the lightweight Kevlar gloves as I said, you can feel the tin plate trying to cut away at the back of them, but no chance of them going through.

Our sheet metal workers have to wear them - you can't cut them with a Stanley knife !

As an aside, I used to take the wheels off a 997 for cleaning purposes - until one day I heard the sickening crunch as one of them tipped face down onto the drive - ?60 repair please!

·
Super Moderator
1,047 Posts
Just gotta make sure you don't mark the sills with the jack or the wheels with the socket when taking them off!

I'm sure I read on here that this happened to someone
nylon coated sockets and a trolley jack,just be careful of the handle

·
Registered
963 Posts
Surely a proper long handled brush is cheaper and quicker!
Lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts