Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife's Q5 was in for service yesterday and I mentioned that I thought that the near side tyres were wearing quicker than the offside.

It was especially noticeable on the rears as when i had them changed in August, the nearside was almost illegal and the offside had about 4mm left. The wear was even across the tyre.

The guy booking me gave the normal vague response that would have a quick look, but had never come across it before and maybe it was down to pressures, etc.

Anyway, the story changed when I went back to pick it up....

They said that because it was a Q5, they had checked it out and had a done a full 4 wheel alignment under warranty. They gave me the report and both individual and cross toes on both axles were outside the target measurement. The after measurements showed that they were now in tolerance after they had made changes.

Not sure if any of you have noticed this or if it actually is a Q5 thing?

Cheers.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hi Paul,

I have covered over 60,000 miles in my Q5 and haven't experienced anything like this! I have tended to notice the outside edge of the front tyres tends to wear more than the rest of the tyre presumably due to additional load / scrub when cornering. I swapped the front and back wheels over at approximately 20,000 and have pretty even wear all-round at the moment.

My car was serviced at a couple of weeks ago and the wear profile was (3mm inside edge, 4mm middle and 2mm outside edge on all tyres) ~ the tyres are the original set and have now covered 62,000 miles!!

The Audi dealer did originally suggest a tracking check based on the wear profile above until I pointed out how many miles the tyres had covered!

For you tracking to be out that much I suspect your wife may have hit a kerb or large pot hole or something!

Hope this helps!

Lee.

·
Banned
801 Posts
62,000 miles = 99.200 km ???????? This is a record

Are you doing the rotation of wheels every 10.000km as recommended by the manufacturer of tires ??

·
Registered
92 Posts
I rotate them every 20,000 Miles or so!

Based on the wear pattern (3mm inside edge, 4mm middle and 2mm outside edge on all tyres) I reckon I'll have to change them at about 65K due to the outer edge wear being on the legal limit ~ either way not bad for the original tyres (Goodyear by the way!)

·
Banned
801 Posts
Tire rotation is recommended every 6000 miles (10.000km) as by car manufacturers

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, I thought it was a bit strange!

It's done 56k miles now and I think the rears that I changed in August were the original - like I said above the offside had about 4mm left, the nearside was basically illegal and that's why I changed them. They were Goodyear too.

I'm wondering if I should have stayed with Goodyear now rather than the Continentals I ended up with! Only time (and my wallet) will tell ;-)

·
Registered
963 Posts
4 wheel alignment needs doing on 4 wheel drive vehicles from time to time and certainly when you change all four tyres you should get it done imho.

A pot hole or kerb can knock it out of alignment

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I suppose it makes sense to ensure that 4wd vehicles have algined wheels ;-). I kind of assumed that at some point it had gone down a pot hole...

What surprised me was that it was covered under Warranty.

Cheers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts