Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys it's time to change my tyres now and I'm just eager to remove my old michelin latitude hp
Miserable awful at wet
Thanks god for audi's wonderful idiosyncratic quattro system which held the car but I do not advice anyone to michelin.
So I'm thinking between 3
1- Vredestein quatrac 3
2- Vredestein wintrac 4 xtreme
3- Pirelli scorpion verde all season
All are good but some help if someone tried one before
Oh and don't forget audi has placed a vredestein spare whell at the back which is so classy !

·
Registered
433 Posts
I am a great believer in Vredestein tyres, however last year I was finding it hard to get tyres to fit my 20" wheel, I then opted for the 17"Audi package which is fitted on Dunlops, they seem a good tyre. However my son swears by his Vredestein all season tyres. I used the Vredestein extreme on my discovery never got stuck so you are looking at a good tyre there, so just help your self to the tyre you require.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just fitted the pirelli scorpion verde all season
WHAT an AWESOME tyre
I tried the brakes on wet and the abs didn't even need to work
I made a cut turn at great speeds and the quattro plus this tyre where unbeatable
Big big difference between the michelin and that

·
Registered
768 Posts
My Freelander 2's fitted with Vredestein winters. Last year they performed brilliantly right through to April in snow, slush and rain. I doubt the Dunlop 3D on my Audi will be as good, but fingers crossed.

·
Still Game
4,612 Posts
I just fitted the pirelli scorpion verde all season
WHAT an AWESOME tyre
I tried the brakes on wet and the abs didn't even need to work
I made a cut turn at great speeds and the quattro plus this tyre where unbeatable
Big big difference between the michelin and that
You weren't lost for long <LOL>

·
Registered
469 Posts
Without wishing to offend anybody I feel it asking a lot from any tyre to expect it to perform brilliantly in all conditions as there will always be a compromise. I have been a Michelin man for many years and have used their winter tyres in Alpin, Pilot Alpin & Primacy Alpin derivatives which I have found to be superior in terms of grip and steering response on snow to Vredestein Wintracs. Both were reasonable on dry roads but that is not what they are designed for. The Vredestein was not, in my opinion, so good on damp surfaces either.
Michelin's summer tyres have changed a lot in the last 20 years and I would say that their Pilot Sport & Supersports for cars are pretty impressive in wet and dry conditions and I thought that their XPC tyres were a million times better than the Goodyear Eagle +4 option that was factory fitted to one of my LR Discoveries in the mid 90's although I have not had experience of the newer Diamaris or Latitude.
The downside is that they no longer appear to last longer than Pirelli, Goodyear or Dunlops.
Changing over to winter rubber has been, for me, invaluable for many years and if you live in an area where the temperature is regularly close to freezing and prone to significant snowfalls I would be surprised if you did not find the difference on the road between normal factory fit rubber and winter tyres to be significant.
It is all a matter of personal opinion and a debate is always good.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts