Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just seen the BBC national news, 60mph speed limit on Mways for pollution quality reasons.
What a load of rubbish, i travel all over the world and I've never seen anything as barmy as this.

I assume the EU will be making the same enforcements for the German AutoBahns?
Glad i won't be travelling up the M1.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Is this a permanent measure, or only in case of smog?

In Belgium they do that for several years now in winter when air quality is very bad due to long period of freezing and lack of wind

Anyhow, speed limits are coming down all over in Europe, mostly on secondary roads.
In Belgium most roads outside the towns used to be 90 km/h, now all of them are 70 km/h

Even in Germany they start thinking of quiting with the unlimited speed on certain parts of the highway...

They'll keep lowering the limit until we are not allowed to drive faster than traffic jam speed... at that point there are officially no traffic jams anymore

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
No motorways in my county - no problem

·
Registered
47 Posts
And it's proven that's it rubbish for the economy if cars go slower - they were going to put the limit to 80 on all motorways. They'd achieve more by making all old car owners or non audi drivers plant a tree on a daily basis whilst we go faster

Reactions: ?? SQ-BEAST ??

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Let's be honest though, is this going to make a difference to the speed we drive on the motorways anyway?

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Well, it will as the section is to have average speed cameras installed rather than fixed camera.
I heard the other sections/areas could get this too. reality is, id be happy to go 60, most of the time you struggle to get over 40!

A good reason not to venture to that part of the country...
Sad thing is, it just means if this one is approved they will start to pop up everywhere in the guise of "the environment" where as its really all about cash/tax. I don't see how that section of MWAY can be the busiest/most polluted - have they never seen the M4/25 before?

Tax poorer people more.
Increase the tax disc for cars over 5 years old. Lets get them out of old smog making cars and onto public transport.

·
Registered
550 Posts
These damn average speed cameras are going to be popping up everywhere shortly. They are planned for the dreaded A9 up this neck of the woods.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts