Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should be getting my Q5 soon and though it's 2nd hand, it's in great condition and I'd like to keep it that way. I wanna do it myself but I don't have too much spare time so what's the best/quickest way to get it gleaming?
Ive got it down to 4 steps, washing, cleaning, polishing, waxing....and meguiars seems to be the choice product......advice please?

·
Super Moderator
1,046 Posts
Should be getting my Q5 soon and though it's 2nd hand, it's in great condition and I'd like to keep it that way. I wanna do it myself but I don't have too much spare time so what's the best/quickest way to get it gleaming?
Ive got it down to 4 steps, washing, cleaning, polishing, waxing....and meguiars seems to be the choice product......advice please?
im not really the right person to tell you how to clean it quickly(normally takes about 5-6hrs) lol. Only advice would be to make sure you dont get any grit or dust on your wash mitt(especially if its a dark colour) meguairs is a pretty good start but its what ever you are happy using everyone here will have different favourites.

Rich

·
Banned
842 Posts
I'd add a clay bar in between the wash and the polish to clean off any contaminates. Also make sure you wash using a two bucket method and a good wash mit.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, thanks. I've seem some vids on youtube and bought some meguairs scratch x to try on my white golf and was pleasantly surprised at how well it worked! I tried it on the scuffed up area under a door handle and nearly all of the scratches disappeared.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I rinse first then I do the wheels then I wash with the two bucket technique, dry with synthetic chamois, clay bar, polish and then as Mr Miyagi said wax on wax off, finally do the windows. Oh and plenty of elbow grease. The wife does the interior.

·
Registered
294 Posts
If you really want to go to town and immerse yourself in maintaining your pride and joy get yourself on detailingworld.com

Warning though - it can become very time consuming/expensive!

Reactions: Pseudonym

·
Registered
122 Posts
In my time spent on here, I've noticed I've had it all wrong.

My usual routine when washing my car is letting someone else do it. I have a friend who owns a hand carwash and his boys normally see to the weekly or bi-weekly wash depending on the state of our cars and a valet undertaken maybe once every 3-4 months to spruce it all up.

Now that ive gone into the £40k+ braket on a car, it makes you wonder how to look after your investment. It seems I'd be much better doing it myself than taking it to my mates place. Ive been onto detailing world and I now have the basic knowledge to get me through a wash routine without little drama, cudo's to Swainey for the post- many thanks.

My dilemma is this. I have what you would call an obsessive personality, not quite OCD, but getting there. If I take up something, I have to commit to it 110%. The trouble is that my time is finite. In the industry I work in, I'm busy, plus ive got a 3 hr commute to the office monday to friday, so I dont really want to spend my saturday or sunday morning with my head in the car.

Is there a less time consuming way of maintaining the car without going into it? or do I have to bite the bullet and be the mad neighbour washing his car at half 7 on a sunday morning?

Furthermore, is there any tips on wax and what not you guys use? I'm a total novice at washing my car- or not as the case may be.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I only do the whole detail (wash, clay, polish, wax etc) about twice a year, the rest of the time I just wash (foam, wash and dry) which only takes a couple of hours. I might top up the shine with some sort of gloss enhancing spray from time to time but that's about all. You should find that with a good layer or two of protection down cleaning becomes a lot easier and less time consuming as dirt and grime won't bond to the paintwork.

As for products I was recommended the Blackfire range by the guys over at Polished Bliss and would personally recommend the whole range but espeacially the Midnight Sun wax but evryone has there favourites and the list is endless (part of the fun).

Have to say I thoroughly enjoy getting out there and giving the car a good clean. Find it quite relaxing and theraputic really.

Reactions: Chopper

·
Banned
842 Posts
I'm exactly the same - wash, dry, clay, polish and wax twice a year - normally just before and just after winter.

The rest of the time I wash using the two bucket method and a wash mit, drying with a microfibre.

Would never ever take my Q to a hand car wash!

I use the Meguirs NXT generation wash and the gold glass wax - normally a couple of coats for good measure.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I'm exactly the same - wash, dry, clay, polish and wax twice a year - normally just before and just after winter.

The rest of the time I wash using the two bucket method and a wash mit, drying with a microfibre.

Would never ever take my Q to a hand car wash!

I use the Meguirs NXT generation wash and the gold glass wax - normally a couple of coats for good measure.
Thanks for the info guys. I'll see how I get on.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've done the full monty once since I got my Q5 last September but have washed it whenever it needed it afterwards. Used the meguiars range and would really recommend the ultimate wash & wax......it's what I use to wash it everytime and it continues to get the water beading and running off the paintwork. It's ideal for keeping it clean until the next big wash.....plus it smells real nice!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Once the Q5 arrived I spent about £100 with Meguiars on Gold class car wash, quik clay kit, ultimate polish, ultimate liquid wax, hot rims wheel cleaner plus various micro fibre cloths, brushes and foam applicator pads. I wash & dry it it every week, clay it every fortnight (clay bar is amazing never used one before but the stuff it gets of a so called clean car that I've just washed you would not believe) and am waxing it every three months, not needed to polish yet. Where I live there are lots of farmers who drive tractors with muddy wheels down the lanes add to that the salt on the roads and the car looks dreadful in no time, give it a good wash and dry and it's gleaming again and I can't stop looking at it. Very glad I didn't go for the 20 spoke alloys they would have been a nightmare to clean.

There is no way I'd let anyone else wash this car.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Could be wrong but I fairly sure clay strips wax. So if your claying every fortnight but only waxing every three months your doing yourself a disservice and creating a period with no protection.

Also I thought hot rims was quite corrsive and should only be used in extreme cases where brake dust and tar have bonded over time through poor maintence. However I stand to be corrected here if wrong.

Personally (for wheels) I use Bilberry as its alkaline so completly safe, won't strip protection but is very effective. And you can't beat Tardis for stubborn tar spots/stains.

I know what you're all thinking... Garage Queen. What can I say I like my cars clean.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Could be wrong but I fairly sure clay strips wax. So if your claying every fortnight but only waxing every three months your doing yourself a disservice and creating a period with no protection.

Also I thought hot rims was quite corrsive and should only be used in extreme cases where brake dust and tar have bonded over time through poor maintence. However I stand to be corrected here if wrong.

Personally (for wheels) I use Bilberry as its alkaline so completly safe, won't strip protection but is very effective. And you can't beat Tardis for stubborn tar spots/stains.

I know what you're all thinking... Garage Queen. What can I say I like my cars clean.
Don't know about the clay and wax it glides over the car surface and you can feel it snagging when it hits something I would have thought I would feel it if it were removing the wax but if anyone knows different let me know asap.

The hot rims is corrosive I read, maybe on here, that it had bleached someones driveway but I spray it on and clean straight away then rinse excessively. Is this the Billberry http://www.amazon.co.uk/Valet-PRO-Bilberry-Wheel-Cleaner/dp/B003XDPSTE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1328794515&sr=8-1

·
Registered
294 Posts
Blimey is there anything Amazon don't sell? Yep that's Billberry.

Just did a quick search on detailingworld.com (slow day at work) and the general consensus is clay strips wax. Infact it seems to be the weapon of choice for many for stripping back to the paintwork in preparation for full on correction work.

·
Registered
122 Posts

Just did a quick search on detailingworld.com (slow day at work) and the general consensus is clay strips wax. Infact it seems to be the weapon of choice for many for stripping back to the paintwork in preparation for full on correction work.
This was the impression I have always had. That a clay bar treatment strips of the wax right down to the paint in preparation of treatment and reconditioning....?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have the hot rims cleaner as well, not sure how corrosive it is but it doesn't work like it says.......spray on, leave for a short while and rinse off........no scrubbing? Too good to be true! Scrubbing is required but it does clean up pretty well.

What about the stainless steel exhausts? How do you get rid of the black crap on it? I have a metal polisher but that won't remove it......

·
Super Moderator
1,046 Posts
I have the hot rims cleaner as well, not sure how corrosive it is but it doesn't work like it says.......spray on, leave for a short while and rinse off........no scrubbing? Too good to be true! Scrubbing is required but it does clean up pretty well.

What about the stainless steel exhausts? How do you get rid of the black crap on it? I have a metal polisher but that won't remove it......
use a soft toothbrush

·
Registered
249 Posts

Thanks, will clay and wax next week then no clay for a while.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts