Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

our Q5 2.0TDI S-Line is coming up to 3 years old and the warranty will shortly expire, we've not had any problems during the time but I'm a aware that the smallest problem could run into a four figure sum.
Just wandering what people have done about an extended warranty - Audi or independent? I don't think we're brave enough to run the car without one in case something goes pop. I assume the Audi one would include the roadside assistance but I'm aware of warranty direct and other independents

Thanks Jonathan

·
Registered
578 Posts
Audi should contact you 4 weeks before your warranty is up to offer you a 1 year extension (via Modial Insurance). This includes European Roadside over and the biggest advantage is that if you have an issue with your car Audi will repair it and bill Modial and you won't have any issues. If you go with a third party Audi will not do this, you will probably have to pay and reclaim via the 3rd party at your own risk.

I have heard that Warranty Wise are very good and pay out, but again if your engine blew up you could have to fork out £5k to Audi and reclaim this from WW.

For your Q5 I would estimate a £800-£900 warranty cost from Audi, although you can have an excess and reduce this quite heavily. You can barter with WW and probably get them down to £1200-£1400 for 3 years cover.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Kramer
My thoughts and reasons for sticking with Audi - do you know if the Audi one is transferable if we sell the car or if I can pay on a monthly basis - did that with the wifes BMW before we got the Q5 which was useful as the Q5 delivery schedules in 2009 were a little vague. I'm sure the cost was only something like £500 so £800-£900 sounds a little steep, even Porsche only chareg £835!

·
Registered
578 Posts
There is a lot of discussion on other forums about the cost of Audi extended warranties - BMW, Porche and Mercedes offer better rates. I'm not sure on the pay monthly option but it is transferable to a new owner. I have heard that the A8 and R8 come out at £2,500 and yet a Porche 911 is £960 - crazy really.

The rates come down quite a lot with a £200 excess (prob down to £600) so this is something worth considering - I wouldn't mind paying out £200 if my car broke but a new engine/auto-box etc are the repairs that would scare me so protection against this would be fine.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Funnily enough we had a mailing yesterday, offering a years free roadside assistance if we have our MOT done at the local Audi dealer.
If they don't overcharge on the MOT that sounds like something for nothing, hopefully we can then extend just the warranty

·
Still Game
4,612 Posts
That sounds like a great deal. Audi wanted £9.80 per month from me for their roadside assistance.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've had a quote from Audi Warranty for my Q5 2.0 TDI to extend as its 3 years old in a couple of weeks. £550 for the highest cover (up 15000 miles with no excess)

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks H7ptw, that sounds more sensible - did it include the roadside assistance, and what mileage is your Q5 at now - ours is at 41K so slightly above normal, but it is our only sensible car now.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Not sure about roadside but I'm having it mot'd at Audi so I get that with the mot. I'm nearly on 35000 miles but the warranty was upto 60000 miles so your well within that.

·
Registered
578 Posts
@jonathanbr - did you sort out your warranty in the end?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just had the paperwork through for my extended warranty. In the end it was £511 all component no excess upto 15k miles. This was without roadside assistance as I don't need it but with it, it was about another £35-£40. Got to be worth £500 I can only imaging the smallest repair at Audi costing a small fortune!!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Kramer
no nothing yet - no paperwork through from Audi other than the MOT / assistance offer which I took up. Car had its MOT and brake fluid charged yesterday and the form was sent off
I tried to contact Audi about extending the warranty last week and got the run around - Dealer said not them as it was insurance and under FSA rules - phoned Audi Assist (really RAC) who put me through to RAC corporate who put me through to someone else who then told me to phone Audi at Milton Keynes which I did. Milton Keynes then put me through to Mondial in Croydon at which point i lost my patience.
At the moment no extended warranty and not sure if I can be bothered to go through the whole story again!

·
Registered
578 Posts
Just call Audi UK and complain! They are supposed to send you a letter 4 weeks before it expires.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Kramer
now I'm a little calmer I will try to call them again

1 - 14 of 14 Posts