Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-34325005

Apparently 11 million cars involved and a fine of around $24,000 per vehicle.

Made me think, if this was in the UK, and all those vehicles were rebanded for vehicle excise duty, would the owners be able to reject the vehicle as mis-sold?

Worryingly, the Audi A3 (2009-2015) is among those cars implicated. Certainly won't do much to bolster resale values.

·
Banned
489 Posts
VAG Statement: http://www.audi.co.u...kswagen-ag.html

Quote "Discrepancies relate to vehicles with Type EA 189 engines"

It seems that Four-cylinder Type EA 189 engines found in both Audi and VW diesel cars sold worldwide were built with a sophisticated software algorithm to fool emissions tests.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi guys,

What are your thoughts about this huge scam from VW? Since it's the same engine as in our cars. It makes me wonder what's next.
Now they're going after the 3 liter diesel as well. Do you reckon we could be compensated like the Americans likely will be?
I thought I became more enviromently friendly(oh well a diesel..) when I swiched from Subaru.

·
Registered
277 Posts
The European test is different to the US test so has anyone actually confirmed if the emissions have been cheated to get the cars past the European tests?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I think our 2 ltr cars with AdBlue fitted are clear of this but not sure that those that do not have it fitted are.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I think our 2 ltr cars with AdBlue fitted are clear of this but not sure that those that do not have it fitted are.
From what I've been reading I believe the opposite maybe true. Ad blue was fitted and used to pass the test but 'switched off' during normal driving as it would require either a big tank of AdBlue to last the 20k service interval or frequent refilling to maintain the same emissions emitted during the test.

The whole emissions/MPG testing is a farce, it needs a complete overhaul and needs to more accurately reflect real life driving styles. Everyone knows the figures quoted are fantasy, so what's the point.

·
Registered
214 Posts
so if the issue is with the ad blue engines, does that mean the non ad blue 2L engines are ok? or is it both engines?

11 million cars from 2009 to 2015 is a third of a million a year, thats a big fix.

Having watched a program on how MPG is tested I was shocked how it is all done but then again if the test does not specify not removing seats etc, taping off seams and driving down hill with a minimum of fuel then of course manufacturers will take liberties.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
The topic has been sensationalised by the Press, who only got half the story and then went for a big headline,

The US Emission tests are completely different to the European ones so the scandal doesn't directly effect us beyond an eye watering loss that will probably stifle/delay investment elsewhere in the VW empire.

It's not the 1st time that software has been used to produce a different benchmark result http://www.geek.com/games/futuremark-confirms-nvidia-is-cheating-in-benchmark-553361/ and sadly it probably won't be the last.

·
Registered
Audi SQ5 2015
1,875 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Folks who are considering a 2.0 liter diesel engine, who have one, or who have any diesel engine, would be served well to hit Google, and come up to speed with the Dieselgate scandal that broke in the last week. Summary:
  • VAG (Volkswagen Audi Group) has was caught by North American environmental authorities falsifying emissions in their 2.0 liter diesel engines. The engine control unit (ECU) would detect being hooked up to diagnostic equipment (in the lab), and go into a "full emissions control" mode to pass emissions requirements. Otherwise, when not hooked up to diagnostic equipment -- that being under normal operating conditions -- the engines emit up to 40x legally allowable NOx emissions (one of the "greenhouse gasses").
  • VW CEO admitted to doing this, has apologized, and resigned.
  • About 482,000 vehicles are affected in North America, according to North American authorities like the EPA.
  • About 11,000,000 vehicles are affected worldwide, according to VW.
  • VAG faces fines of about US$18 Billion for breaking the law.
  • Class-action consumer law-suits are in the works.
  • VW stock is down 38% over the past few days.
  • At this time, only the 2.0 liter diesel engine is affected. They appear in VW and Audi vehicles.
  • Authorities will investigate all of VAG's diesels, and possibly their gasoline engines as well for similar offences.
My concern is that VAG did this for a reason, though that reason is not yet clear. The big question is: What difference will the consumer experience when their ECU gets an update to meet emissions? Worse fuel economy? Rough running? Noise (i.e., traditional diesel clatter)? A reduction in peak power or a torque curve that's less desirable? Poorer acceleration? We'll find out, once VAG starts updating ECUs are part of the recall.

(Edit: This post was moved here from a new forum I accidentally started on this topic)

·
Registered
493 Posts
(FYI: The post above was a new thread I started because I didn't know this one existed. That's why it looks like I was telling you something you didn't already know. An admin relocated my post to this thread)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Heads are starting to roll now. Both Head of development from Audi and Porsche are going to get the sack according to german media.
European cars have the same "flaw" as the american cars. BMW have stopped trading of their shares. I guess this is just the beginning.

·
Registered
795 Posts
talk on the BBC of people being able to take either group or individaul action against Audi if our engines are affected.

I might drop my dealer a line now telling them how utterly devestated i am that the 2.0L Diesel i bought purely to be eco-friendy [of course] may have been sold to me deceitfully and i shall be looking for compensation if it is proven i was infact deceived - just to see what they say. i think a lot of us will be affected by this crime.

Reactions: MrH and ictbydesign

·
Still Game
4,619 Posts
Can't get too excited by this "revelation". Many of us have long suspected that mpg and emission figures were massaged. Figures don't make a jot of difference to me.

My biggest concerns are that it could bankrupt VAG group and impact on residuals.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Good thing I've gone for the eco-friendly SQ5 then
But I do share the concern expressed by Missile

Reactions: rifleman

·
Registered
277 Posts
Still no official confirmation if the UK cars are out of tolerance so this whole thing is being blown out of proportion by the UK press as per normal

Reactions: MrH

·
Registered
109 Posts
Found this on "CardealerMagazine" website which I haven't ever heard of but they are claiming that the EA189 type engine that apparently had the defeat device fitted was on the below Audi vehicles - including the 2009-2012 Q5. I got the facelift version in 2013 with the 177BHP 2.0 diesel so I guess this applies to the pre-facelift cars with slightly lower power.

Remains to be seen what effect this has!

"The EA189 2-litre four-cylinder turbo diesel engine at the centre of the failed emission test scandal is know to have been fitted to the following VW Group models, all of which could be potentially affected:

Audi
A3 2010-2015
A3 Cabrio 2010-2015
A4 2008-2015
A5 2008-2015
A6 2011-2015
TT 2008-2014
Q3 2011-2015
Q5 2009-2012"

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Still no official confirmation if the UK cars are out of tolerance so this whole thing is being blown out of proportion by the UK press as per normal
Really

·
Registered
493 Posts
The US media is running stories such as...
  • This could mean the demise of VAG
  • This is worse to Europe than the Greek economic crisis
It looks like the UK press doesn't have exclusive rights to fear mongering.

Reactions: MrH
1 - 20 of 88 Posts