Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Well after about 3 months with the new 2013 2.0d sline plus i am very impressed But
the vauge and over light steering is driving me mad. Sometimes it feels like you are driving on marbles.
I have the drive select option and all modes seem to have light steering with the dynamic setting the one i am currently using as thats the stiffer setting although still is very light. Also when driving in a straiight line i always seem to have to fine tune the steering a liitle movement to the left or right is followed by another in the opposite direction. i have never seen this in other Audis that i have driven.

i had the master tech at Aberdeen Audi drive it but he said thats how the newer models drive?

Any one else had similar steering issues

·
Registered
292 Posts
Yes steering issue have developed 2 days into owning the car....

Car is making very strange steering sounds like blowing through an empty bottle on turning and slow acceleration.....
was told it was heat shield... after the initial fix 1 week ago it helped..but today it came back..... not impressed....
what could this be ???

·
Still Game
4,615 Posts
I had steering rack replaced on mine under warranty.

The steering does feel girlie light when compared to a.n.other cars.

·
Registered
292 Posts
looks like it could be the new brakes in the MY13 3.0tdi, The pads arent releasing properly and the front disc a marked or grooved all round...its an awful sound when steering round a roundabout.

Investigation continues from Audi as they only think it could be the issue causing this hollowing sound from the front

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have very quiet sound like metal rubbing on metal only when I turn left slowly. It is really quiet so I am not very nervous about it. Maybe we have to drive a little to make all pieces of our car well-folded

·
Registered
292 Posts
Exact problem i'm having with mine at the moment, Due to the new brakes on the MY13's i think, Audi are investigating, the disc on both front wheels have been scratched all around..... Could be the pads are eating away to close to the disc ?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Unfortunately, it has got worse and the heat here in AUS seems to have added to the problem....on a hot day at low speeds even its hollows and sounds terrible through the cabin.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Exact problem i'm having with mine at the moment, Due to the new brakes on the MY13's i think, Audi are investigating, the disc on both front wheels have been scratched all around..... Could be the pads are eating away to close to the disc ?
Which size wheels do you have? Which design? Your summer 20" rims have no chance to get scratched? Is it winter ones in 17" which are in question?

·
Registered
31 Posts
kinkatt,

I've had concerns about the light feeling of the steering since day 1. I've just raised a new topic on my findings, etc.

Cheers,

·
Registered
292 Posts
Which size wheels do you have? Which design? Your summer 20" rims have no chance to get scratched? Is it winter ones in 17" which are in question?
I got the 20' rims, rims are perfectly fine, but the disc brake are wore or scratched all around, both front disc are scratched, and there has been no rocks in the pads, but I suspect that the pads arent right or being released correctly to get this sound, at high speeds on a nasty road, the car sounds terrible and the hollowing sound is shocking...

·
Still Game
4,615 Posts
It sounds (if you will excuse the pun
) like your brakes are binding. To confirm I would set off on a drive at low speed and coast to a halt without using the brakes. If the calipers disks feel hot then brakes are binding. It may need no more than to remove the callipers clean up the pistons and refit. One should not have to do this with a new car.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I am very happy with the steering on my MY13 SE. Comparing it to steering on the pre-facelift S-line I am currently driving I find very heavy and not at all to my liking.

·
Registered
292 Posts
It sounds (if you will excuse the pun
) like your brakes are binding. To confirm I would set off on a drive at low speed and coast to a halt without using the brakes. If the calipers disks feel hot then brakes are binding. It may need no more than to remove the callipers clean up the pistons and refit. One should not have to do this with a new car.
Thanks Missile, I know this was the wrong place to post as it has to do with vague steering but oh well 'my bad' Audi have said they will 'replace some springs behind the pads which align the pads and releases them from the disc.... I will mention to them about this binding though to help the num nuts

Cheers mate, another beer for you !

1 - 17 of 17 Posts