Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone seen anything like this before on their Q5 3.0 TDI?

I've cleared it a couple of times, and it just keeps coming back (and throwing the EML) after a couple of restarts.

5308 - Throttle Body Actuator Bank 1 (J338)
P0638 00 [175] - Implausible Signal
MIL ON - Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00000001
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 4
Mileage: 125573 km
Date: 2013.12.22
Time: 13:05:12

·
Registered
138 Posts
I've done some reading up on the scant information relating to this fault code on VAG TDI engines, and it looks like the internals of the Throttle body are starting to wear and it's not opening and closing as per the control module. It's not affecting the drivability of the car, so far as I can tell, however the MPG are a little down, and you do get a discernable shudder when switching off the engine, as it would normally be close at this point, and it's not.

The VAG part number of the faulty component is 4E0 145 950G.

So options are:-

1 Purchase new UPDATED part '4E0 145 950J' from Audi at £398 inc VAT
2.Send my faulty unit away to be re-manufactured at http://www.actronics.eu/en for 109+VAT (£133)

Both options have 2 years warranty, and having mine re-manufactured should eliminate any risk with having to have the newer Audi part 'adapted' to fit my car using VAG-COM.

No brainer then...

·
Registered
195 Posts
Hello!

Last summer I have some problems it my throttle valve and change it for the new part.
It's a common issue in the 2.0 tdi motors.
I hope that the new part solves the issues of the old one!

·
Registered
768 Posts
Grant, if you're going for the remanufactured part won't your car be off the road longer .... ?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Grant, if you're going for the remanufactured part won't your car be off the road longer .... ?
Hi Hectorshouse,
Yep, it will be probably off for about 10 days in total, but I can work around that as we've another car (BMW 320d), which the missus can use.
I usually only use a car to go to the train station weekdays.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hello!

Last summer I have some problems it my throttle valve and change it for the new part.
It's a common issue in the 2.0 tdi motors.
I hope that the new part solves the issues of the old one!
Yeah, ironically it also happened to me with my old MK5 Golf 2.0 TDI. The part was only £100 new from ECP, so I went for that.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Meant to update this a few weeks ago. The supplier couldnt repair my unit, so supplied a replacement, all fitted in 15 mins, and now sorted 100%.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts