Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

New to the forum and found it via Pistonheads

Had a few nice German motors, S3, M5, 911 but the growing family has meant that we need something a bit bigger. My wife, having never picked her own car decided on a Q5 so after a bit of research found the beast that is the SQ5. Having spent the week reading all about it I cannot wait!

I was prepared for a compromise but then after reading about 0-60 in 5secs it appears that the car will meet both of our needs and I have gone from a bit resentful about the thing to 'mad for it!'

I'd be interested in your views on the grey car at Hatfield Audi, 63 plate at about 47k.
It appears that they all trade at above list, I realise that specc'd they come in at about 50k but everything else that I've bought seemed to disregard the extras when it came time to sell, a well specc'd car just selling quicker.

Is this because there is a long wait for a new one?
If there was such a massive demand, surely they would not be advertised for as long as they are...
What do you think of Panoramic roofs? I admit they look good but have heard horror stories about when they fail or get a stone chip?

Many Thanks,

Jim

Did try and register as Jimbo but the autocorrect has me down as above!

·
Banned
289 Posts
LOL at the Jumbo/Jimbo...

I think the waiting times are reducing for the new ones, and there is also a good possibility of finding a switchable order somewhere.

As for the pricing, if you believe what you read on here, most people get 8-12% off, so you should be able to get roughly the same off the second hand one, which would (IMO) make the grey one a reasonable price. Spec-wise, it looks like it's got all the good stuff.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
The Monsoon car is in a decent spec, Audi Customer Services could confirm the absolute specification for you. Personally speaking it would have been nice to see a two-tone interior and mobile connect high but its got everything else. Have you got a PX or is it just a case of negotiating a decent price?

·
SQ-MASTER
2,468 Posts
Welcome aboard 😄

·
SQ-MASTER
2,468 Posts
Hi,

New to the forum and found it via Pistonheads

Had a few nice German motors, S3, M5, 911 but the growing family has meant that we need something a bit bigger. My wife, having never picked her own car decided on a Q5 so after a bit of research found the beast that is the SQ5. Having spent the week reading all about it I cannot wait!

I was prepared for a compromise but then after reading about 0-60 in 5secs it appears that the car will meet both of our needs and I have gone from a bit resentful about the thing to 'mad for it!'

I'd be interested in your views on the grey car at Hatfield Audi, 63 plate at about 47k.
It appears that they all trade at above list, I realise that specc'd they come in at about 50k but everything else that I've bought seemed to disregard the extras when it came time to sell, a well specc'd car just selling quicker.

Is this because there is a long wait for a new one?
If there was such a massive demand, surely they would not be advertised for as long as they are...
What do you think of Panoramic roofs? I admit they look good but have heard horror stories about when they fail or get a stone chip?

Many Thanks,

Jim

Did try and register as Jimbo but the autocorrect has me down as above!
pan roof is gr8,as 4 problems ,I haven't had any yet,but it's all under warranty ,and just check ur insurance covers it ,enjoy ur new purchase if u go ahead í ½í¸„

·
Registered
221 Posts
Welcome to the forum. It all depends on whether you mind waiting and if you want finance. You will probably get a better discount and apr on a new car.

I looked at a used Q5 3.0 tdi and got a finance quote, then just out of interest asked for quote on a new SQ5. The difference was surprising...

Needless to say I ordered the new SQ5... And luckily only waited 3 months.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks chaps,

A warm welcome and thanks for the advice,

I have no p/x so will be on the phone tomorrow, I bought my last new car in the last week of February before the reg change and got a decent deal! I didn't really consider new but if you don't ask...

Jim

·
Registered
952 Posts
I started looking at used ones but the prices didn't make sense. Yes there are long waiting lists but most dealers have cars ordered waiting customers to spec or can access shorter delivery options. I ordered 18 Dec and will hopefully take delivery first week of March. Plenty of spec with car listing at £52k and costing me £48k.

·
Registered
952 Posts
On a quick look it doesn't say if that car has Audi Drive Select, it probably has but worth checking as you want that to have more control over the exhaust sounds.

·
Banned
289 Posts
On a quick look it doesn't say if that car has Audi Drive Select, it probably has but worth checking as you want that to have more control over the exhaust sounds.
ADS is mentioned - in the safety and security section of the spec..

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I see,

When you put it like that I can see the sense, is that because new cars have a better margin?

I was wondering re cancelled orders etc, if they exist, can any Audi dealer see them or do they belong to that dealer?

My local dealer is Portsmouth but could I buy a stock car from anywhere in the system via Portsmouth or is it a case of doing the leg work and phoning each one?

Does anyone have a good contact at Audi , straight talking and no BS?

Thanks

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
I see,

When you put it like that I can see the sense, is that because new cars have a better margin?

I was wondering re cancelled orders etc, if they exist, can any Audi dealer see them or do they belong to that dealer?

My local dealer is Portsmouth but could I buy a stock car from anywhere in the system via Portsmouth or is it a case of doing the leg work and phoning each one?

Does anyone have a good contact at Audi , straight talking and no BS?

Thanks
Not a million miles away form you is Poole Audi who have been great - no BS. PM if you are interested and I'll send you my sales guys contact info.

·
Registered
952 Posts
I would try a few dealers as if a dealership has a car in the pipeline that won't be known or available to your local dealer.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Drive the Deal has one immediately available in the last week or two, I'm sure its gone now but things like that do pop up.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Welcome. I too looked at used ones but as mentioned above, it didn't make sense financially. I ordered in Nov & pick up on the 9th of March (it would have been the 1st had I been in the country!) as the dealer was able to amend an existing order to my spec. You may well get lucky this way too?

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Welcome Jumbo
(Jimbo) Just had a look at besides colour (we have Lava Grey) the spec is very similar and perfect!!

We had opted for Pan roof and to be honest with you it's fantastic, it really lightens up the cabin and makes it feel much more airy and comfortable. Also when you have it open the sound of the exhaust flows in and it sounds lurvely.

I agree I think that Audi's marketing strategy for the SQ5 was very complicated, it was advertised all over the place...magazines, Victoria and Waterloo stations, papers and when you go in to the dealers to order they tell you 6 month waits...! Crazy! However it is well worth the wait, and even if you are going second hand the car is spot on beautiful and worth every dime.

·
Registered
814 Posts
When I was looking for a used S-line plus, the maths just didn't compute to buy one .
I didn't realise this until I negotiated for a new one, to come with the 14 plates, but I could have easilly ended up paying more for a 63 plate with 5k miles.

When I was at dealership last week, there was a beautiful 63 Silver S-line plus on courtyard , with no price tag.
I inquired after it, and was told it had just been sold, and on asking the price..sure enough, about £800 more than I am paying out.
Not sure about the spec list compared to mine, but it was 2nd hand, so if nothing else, just to be owner No.1 rather than No.2, and have the new 14 reg, must make it a no brainer

·
SQ-MASTER
2,468 Posts
This is very true with dealers,I had a BMW 330 cab in 2001 ,it got smashed up bad,but got repaired @ BMW ,anyway I chopped it bak in 4 an m3 after being 6 months old with 10k on the clock and they put it up 4 same £ it was new,and sold it,the customer assumed it was cheaper than a brand new 1 ,if u don't ask u don't no 😄

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well today has been an education, to say the least

Have rung around a fair few dealers in the south and the story is very similar-

Basically best off to order and wait 6 months... The odd car may come in July but October is better bet.

All ex demonstrators are c48k and as far as finance is concerned 13% APR I was quoted with a straight face!

After 3 phone calls it was apparent that these things are flying off the shelves, a salesman shifted 3 on Saturday alone, the message was certainly, 'take it or leave it' as they can't get rid of them fast enough...

·
Registered
952 Posts
Were any of those dealers offering you a discount, they will probably try to say that they are in such demand that there are no discounts. Myself and others on here are proof that discounts can be got.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts