Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, what would cause the chrome on the grill to bubble 2012 Audi Q5 S-Line with 135,000 miles. I've been a mechanic in this field 30 + years and never really seen it happen before unless it was a Harley Davidson, because of bad chrome?
Tire Automotive parking light Grille Wheel Automotive tire

·
Registered
61 Posts
The front grill is plastic and it has been silvered, not painted. This definitely looks like a chemical attack.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, what would cause the chrome on the grill to bubble 2012 Audi Q5 S-Line with 135,000 miles. I've been a mechanic in this field 30 + years and never really seen it happen before unless it was a Harley Davidson, because of bad chrome? View attachment 12440
I have a 2012 Q5 s line and the exact same thing happened to my grill, it started probably like 4 years ago when I first noticed and gradually got worse. I’ve been told many things about it, but what I think it’s from is water damage. At first I thought it was from sun or heat damage, but my repair shop said water, and I have noticed it get worse after rain. That being said, still not totally sure except that it’s only plastic coated with some chrome.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a 2012 Q5 s line and the exact same thing happened to my grill, it started probably like 4 years ago when I first noticed and gradually got worse. I’ve been told many things about it, but what I think it’s from is water damage. At first I thought it was from sun or heat damage, but my repair shop said water, and I have noticed it get worse after rain. That being said, still not totally sure except that it’s only plastic coated with some chrome.
Yes I do agree with that it could have been rain that did it I didn't take notice of it before but it did now and I just gotta washed and cleaned and ceramic coated so I guess I'm just had to replace the whole grill!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts