Audi Q5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have am 09 plate Q5 2.0 TDI fitted with the MMI 3G Sat Nav - from the outset I noticed the maps were woefully out of date - estimate 2007 - Q2 or 3.

I received notification that the 2010 maps were out so ordered them - ?250+ ouch! When I picked them up the software/map updates were on an SD card, without instructions. I tried to update but failed miserably. So took them back to the dealers and they carried out the update or so they said. I had taken the precaution of noting the pre-update version numbers for the software and Sat Nav database - on checking they had not changed. So just to make sure I had a drive to a local major motorway junction that had been updated 2 or so years ago - no changes.

I took it back to the dealer, explained my concerns. They kept it 4 days, said it had been updated, but it had not. After a conversation with the technician responsible I showed him the lack of changes in the software/database and he admitted there appeared to be an 'issue' and he would have to flag to Audi Technical - that was a month ago and still no response. I sent a gentle reminder yesterday by e-mail - still no response.

Ironically, I received a card this morning from the dealer reminding me that it is better to get your vehicle serviced by Audi as they 'know what they're doing - aarghh!

I will persevere!

·
Registered
963 Posts
Can but hope my car will arrive with the 2010 update already installed.....think I better check

·
Registered
963 Posts
In answer to your post that is an extremely poor service!!!
Think I would be talking to the service manager by now and tell them to stop treating me like an idiot!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi BeeCee
I have the same problem with my sat-nav Audi Q5 2.0 TDI December 09, My Audi dealer agreeds to update my maps with the latest!! information, Car went in last Friday for update was done while I waited.(no charge.)
Total waste of time, Still years out of date, Even my audi dealer moved to a new site over two years ago and mapping still shows old site,
Excellent car poor sat-nav mapping.

I too will persevere

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
what is the latest version?

how do you check it?
Good question, since I did not actually get to review the files on the card - however I did see a file version number starting with a 7 - my database is 5.5.5. when the technician was browsing. I will be going into battle on Friday if I have not had an e-mail response from the Service Manager by then. I have checked 'on the sly' that he is working this week and that his e-mail address is correct. The problem with all this 'palaver' is I think I am turning into Victor Meldrew!

·
Registered
963 Posts
No you're not........

·
Registered
963 Posts
Contact has been established and a dialogue undertaken - further datails next week. I feel I should be tapping this out in morse code.
Glad to hear that.

We'll all look forward to the update.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Temporary update - after much heated discussion between my dealer, Audi Technical and myself, the car is booked in on Monday for the 'upgrade/update'. Apparently it should take at least 2 hours to complete - so much for all the previous claims it was updated in 15 minutes. If successful, and I still have my doubts - I will post the latest version numbers for the MMI software and Map database, so other forum members can pursue 'at their leisure'.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Temporary update - after much heated discussion between my dealer, Audi Technical and myself, the car is booked in on Monday for the 'upgrade/update'. Apparently it should take at least 2 hours to complete - so much for all the previous claims it was updated in 15 minutes. If successful, and I still have my doubts - I will post the latest version numbers for the MMI software and Map database, so other forum members can pursue 'at their leisure'.
Hopefully this will be my last post re this subject.

Picked up my car today - one day late due to a recall on the tailgate being 'rectified' - no further details.

Re the SatNav - I was incorrectly sold a 'master' copy which was intended for Workshops only - the dealer would then sell 'licences' to customers on an individual basis - presume around the ?160 mark which is what my dealer is selling the DVD update for. I got a full refund of the update, plus my system was updated with the requisite licence for 'free'- plus I got a small 'sweetener' for being a valuable customer etc.

Anyway the important piece of info - the Sat Nav version pre-update was ECE 5.5.5, post update it is ECE 5.11.7. I have already carried out some address 'tests' and the maps seem up-to-date, but I have no real idea as to how recent they are. Hope you all found this of use!

·
Registered
963 Posts
Thanks! That info will be really useful as I would like to hope my car arrives with the latest update. Can anyone who has just taken delivery verify this?

Any change to the post code? Or is that a step too far?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks! That info will be really useful as I would like to hope my car arrives with the latest update. Can anyone who has just taken delivery verify this?

Any change to the post code? Or is that a step too far?
Unfotunately no, still only partial post code. Although the 2010 update covered the map database it did not update the actual software version that runs the MMI 3G - we'll just have to wait for that one - although I would be curious as to what version your car will come with.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Anyone taken delivery recently and got this satnav update installed by the factory?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Pleasure. I wouldn't hold out for 7 digit postcodes- the same issue has beset BMW and Merc for years. I believe it stems from DE and US (and most of the rest of the world) using 5 digit postcodes. If they haven't done it in the last 5+ years I see no reason why they will do it any time soon

The odd intermediate system has supported it but none of the full blown
iDrive/COMAND/MMI have to my knowledge.

I suppose in big-3 style when one of them finally does the others will quickly emulate...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi All

My car was in for a technical fault. I asked about updating the HDD Sat Nav. They told me that I had to buy a licence and would be given a SD card to do the update. My understanding was that the HDD version was automatically updated. What are other peoples' experiences please?

Chris

1 - 20 of 43 Posts