Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
I know many Europeans (Specially from right across the channel) are buying their Q5s here in England due to the weaker ????
http://www.soldesdunet.fr/acheter-audi-pas-cher-en-angleterre
http://www.myaudiq5.com/index.php?/topic/747-uk-export-audi-q5/
http://forums.audipassion.com/topic/94181-photos-de-q5/page__st__40

But i was shocked to know that the average price of top of the range Q5 in the USA is $36000 USD I paid ?36000 GBP for mine -Rip off or what!!!!
That's ?12000 more than the US models assuming an exchange rate of ?1=$1.5

Am i missing something!!!!!

·
Registered
66 Posts
I know many Europeans (Specially from right across the channel) are buying their Q5s here in England due to the weaker ????
http://www.soldesdunet.fr/acheter-audi-pas-cher-en-angleterre
http://www.myaudiq5.com/index.php?/topic/747-uk-export-audi-q5/
http://forums.audipassion.com/topic/94181-photos-de-q5/page__st__40

But i was shocked to know that the average price of top of the range Q5 in the USA is $36000 USD I paid ?36000 GBP for mine -Rip off or what!!!!
That's ?12000 more than the US models assuming an exchange rate of ?1=$1.5

Am i missing something!!!!!
I just checked the Audi USA site,fortunately it's not as bad as you thought. They seem to start from $35k upto $50k plus options, although the model list showed quite a lot as standard! Had to chuckle that the US site doesn't say "Vorsprung durch technik" obviously gives the game away its not an American car, or maybe too difficult for them to read - that said, in the brochure it says "here's where it gets visceral" so maybe someone in America can read......

·
Registered
26 Posts
Have to pay over 75 000 GBP for a Audi Q5 2.0 TDI S-line here in Norway with some extra......
insane!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Have to pay over 75 000 GBP for a Audi Q5 2.0 TDI S-line here in Norway with some extra......
insane!
Stunned! I take it importing isn't an option then? Many happy weeks spent in Norway with work, beautiful country (in many ways) but I remember parting with 5 krona for a 0.5 ltr beer, and that was 5 or 6 years ago!!

·
Registered
147 Posts
I saved over 35% buying my car in the UK rather than my local dealer in France, Watford Audi are the only dealer that supplies LHD.
kc

·
Registered
26 Posts
Stunned! I take it importing isn't an option then? Many happy weeks spent in Norway with work, beautiful country (in many ways) but I remember parting with 5 krona for a 0.5 ltr beer, and that was 5 or 6 years ago!!
Haha.. yeah! Importing from Sweden, got it for around 65 GBP though. But you have to pay over half of the car price in taxes directly to the government when passing the border. No one afford driving a 3.0 l here, almost 100 000 GBP.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I just checked the Audi USA site,fortunately it's not as bad as you thought. They seem to start from $35k upto $50k plus options, although the model list showed quite a lot as standard! Had to chuckle that the US site doesn't say "Vorsprung durch technik" obviously gives the game away its not an American car, or maybe too difficult for them to read - that said, in the brochure it says "here's where it gets visceral" so maybe someone in America can read......
I just configured a Q5 on the USA site, and sorry to report that with configurations like for like (ie 2.0 TFSI? Premium Plus pack + Navigation plus Package + 19" Alloy wheels) price is $44,550 = ?29,000
(The Price in the UK for the same configurations is ?41,700)

·
Registered
64 Posts
I just configured a Q5 on the USA site, and sorry to report that with configurations like for like (ie 2.0 TFSI? Premium Plus pack + Navigation plus Package + 19" Alloy wheels) price is $44,550 = ?29,000
(The Price in the UK for the same configurations is ?41,700)
Don't forget those prices don't include state sales tax, which can be up to 8.25% you have to add on, but yeah, there is no getting away from the fact they're much cheaper in the States...

·
Registered
130 Posts
Don't forget those prices don't include state sales tax, which can be up to 8.25% you have to add on, but yeah, there is no getting away from the fact they're much cheaper in the States...
For a fairer comparison you need to remove tax to see what the manufacturer actually receives as local tax rates are outside of their control.

In the example above, for a UK ?41,700 car Audi effectively receives about ?35,500 compared to the ?29,000 in the US. Still more but not a pronounced as it first appears.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
For a fairer comparison you need to remove tax to see what the manufacturer actually receives as local tax rates are outside of their control.

In the example above, for a UK ?41,700 car Audi effectively receives about ?35,500 compared to the ?29,000 in the US. Still more but not a pronounced as it first appears.
Agreed, a lot is due to tax difference - i totally forgot the US prices are pre-tax.
But even then ?6500 difference is so much. That is an extra 22% we pay here in the UK?!! Don't forget, they also ship them all the way across the ocean!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I saved over 35% buying my car in the UK rather than my local dealer in France, Watford Audi are the only dealer that supplies LHD.
kc
Just got my build date of week 7 2011 for my left hand drive Q5 also from Watford, did you have any problems, or was it plain sailing. As you said, I am also saving over ?20 K , have you had to take the car to your local dealer yet.

MW

·
Registered
147 Posts
Just got my build date of week 7 2011 for my left hand drive Q5 also from Watford, did you have any problems, or was it plain sailing. As you said, I am also saving over ?20 K , have you had to take the car to your local dealer yet.

MW
Hi MW

My only problem was that I did not get the ipod interface, I ordered the car from the UK brochure that said the ami was part of the "hi fi" pack, in europe it was not part of it so it was not fitted
They offered to retrofit it but I declined that offer, got a refund on the order and also got some (expensive) goodies as a "sorry"
I thought they handled the sale very well and an excellent handover when I collected the car
I have not missed the adapter as I use the SD card slots, have a 30gb hdd 6 cd changer and also a mp3 connector in the armrest

Your only problem will be getting the car insured from Watford till it reaches Calais. I put it on my existing UK car insurance for the UK bit and had French insurance in place for when it landed in Calais

What have you ordered?

My car is now saying service in 1000km so it looks like my first trip to a French dealer in January. I will let you know how I get on

kc

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi MW

My only problem was that I did not get the ipod interface, I ordered the car from the UK brochure that said the ami was part of the "hi fi" pack, in europe it was not part of it so it was not fitted
They offered to retrofit it but I declined that offer, got a refund on the order and also got some (expensive) goodies as a "sorry"
I thought they handled the sale very well and an excellent handover when I collected the car
I have not missed the adapter as I use the SD card slots, have a 30gb hdd 6 cd changer and also a mp3 connector in the armrest

Your only problem will be getting the car insured from Watford till it reaches Calais. I put it on my existing UK car insurance for the UK bit and had French insurance in place for when it landed in Calais

What have you ordered?

My car is now saying service in 1000km so it looks like my first trip to a French dealer in January. I will let you know how I get on

kc
I have ordered an S line 3 Ltr in Garnet Red with 20 in 7 spoke wheels, all ordered from the web site, the only couple of options I did not click on was for the roof or and this bit I am a bit worried about was the Dynamic steering. I did try to add the steering last week but they have told me I have week 7 build and if I want to change anything I will go to the back of the queue.

How long from build did it take to get the car ?

I did go to my local dealer at Rodez to see if they could supply me with a car, he told me July 2011, so the wait with Watford is not so bad, I orderd in October.
I will have to keep my eyes open when I pick the car up, as the Interface thing was so I did not have to have a multi play cd, 6 cd`s on a 11 hour trip from France to the UK can get a bit boring playing the same sounds.

I am new to the Ipod thing, so is there any make I should look out for. Also I have the basic set up for Blue Tooth, what phone do you have and will I need to buy the cradle or do Audi supply that.

I brought a RHD Z4 over from the UK last year and got it insured in France by Amaguiz.com, then did the change of the plates ect over here, they were great, I pay ?444 a year and the 335d touring I had was about the same, have not yet got a quote for the Q5

If there is any thing else you can think of please let me know,

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have ordered an S line 3 Ltr in Garnet Red with 20 in 7 spoke wheels, all ordered from the web site, the only couple of options I did not click on was for the roof or and this bit I am a bit worried about was the Dynamic steering. I did try to add the steering last week but they have told me I have week 7 build and if I want to change anything I will go to the back of the queue.

How long from build did it take to get the car ?

I did go to my local dealer at Rodez to see if they could supply me with a car, he told me July 2011, so the wait with Watford is not so bad, I orderd in October.
I will have to keep my eyes open when I pick the car up, as the Interface thing was so I did not have to have a multi play cd, 6 cd`s on a 11 hour trip from France to the UK can get a bit boring playing the same sounds.

I am new to the Ipod thing, so is there any make I should look out for. Also I have the basic set up for Blue Tooth, what phone do you have and will I need to buy the cradle or do Audi supply that.

I brought a RHD Z4 over from the UK last year and got it insured in France by Amaguiz.com, then did the change of the plates ect over here, they were great, I pay ?444 a year and the 335d touring I had was about the same, have not yet got a quote for the Q5

If there is any thing else you can think of please let me know,

Hi ****

My insurance is with Gan and was for 775? with full no claims, any driver etc

Couple of things you must do

The day your invoice is written out by Watford Audi you need to go to a bank, French preferably or English and get them to print out the pound - euro exchange rate for that day on THEIR headed paper
You need this when you go to the Tresor office to pay your import TVA, they will need to know the ?-? rate so they can charge you the correct amount of TVA (19.6%) in euros (your Audi invoice shows Sterling only)

Once you have the tax paid certificate (my Tresor did not like the temporary logbook as it is not the same as a normal UK logbook - but smile and they "tut" and you will be OK)
you can then go to the Sous Prefecture to pay your "eco gas guzzler" tax (I paid 2500? but I think that goes up in January) and also your fee for the carte gris

Then pop to Feu Vert for your plates and away you go!!

My insurance company (Gan) insisted on a Traqueur being fitted, I have a lovely young lady at Traqueur who speaks fluent English, should you need it who can arrange the man to come and fit it (I will pm you her email if you need it) at your house
UK trackers are not French insurer approved by the way

You can opt for two types of payment for the Traqueur
1. Pay for the box approx 500? and then 150? a year
or
2. Pay a once only fee approx 800? this will save you money if you intend keeping the car more than 3 & 1/2 years

Ken

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi ****

My insurance is with Gan and was for 775? with full no claims, any driver etc

Couple of things you must do

The day your invoice is written out by Watford Audi you need to go to a bank, French preferably or English and get them to print out the pound - euro exchange rate for that day on THEIR headed paper
You need this when you go to the Tresor office to pay your import TVA, they will need to know the ?-? rate so they can charge you the correct amount of TVA (19.6%) in euros (your Audi invoice shows Sterling only)

Once you have the tax paid certificate (my Tresor did not like the temporary logbook as it is not the same as a normal UK logbook - but smile and they "tut" and you will be OK)
you can then go to the Sous Prefecture to pay your "eco gas guzzler" tax (I paid 2500? but I think that goes up in January) and also your fee for the carte gris

Then pop to Feu Vert for your plates and away you go!!

My insurance company (Gan) insisted on a Traqueur being fitted, I have a lovely young lady at Traqueur who speaks fluent English, should you need it who can arrange the man to come and fit it (I will pm you her email if you need it) at your house
UK trackers are not French insurer approved by the way

You can opt for two types of payment for the Traqueur
1. Pay for the box approx 500? and then 150? a year
or
2. Pay a once only fee approx 800? this will save you money if you intend keeping the car more than 3 & 1/2 years

Ken
Hello Ken

Thanks for the info, will get an invoice copy sent here, so I can go to our local bank for the ?/? exchange.

I have the Traquer on my Z4 and also had it on the 335, but they do not charge for this, the only problem is I have to go to Albi, which is an hour drive, so we go to one of the good restuarants for lunch while they do the installation and just take it back when you sell the car for them to uninstall.

Will let you know the quote I get from Amaguiz,

1 - 15 of 15 Posts