Audi Q5 Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Doesn't anyone read their manuals??

I suspect tyre wear differentials have less impact on the newest Audi Quattro Ultra system and the previous Haldex systems, as they predominantly utilise 2 wheel drive (though 4x4 switches in frequently and seamlessly under cornering and acceleration on the new Ultra system). But tyre wear differential is a critical issue for the constantly engaged 4x4 Torsen system's... such as deployed on Mk 1's (e.g. my 2016 Q5 2.0TDI).

For this reason... the Audio Q5 (Torsen... at least) manual advises to ensure all wheels are the same circumference... to avoid damaging the transmission.

However, Audi UK and the several service managers I've spoken with... will advise you that the tyre wear between front and rear tyres should never exceed 3mm... or the transfer box will be constantly stressed (due to significantly different wheel circumferences)... which will cause excess wear of the transfer box. In fact, some say... you should add up the tread difference on both front tyres... and divide by 2. Do the same for the rear tyres. And the difference between both figures must not exceed 3mm... to prevent transfer box wear and failure. But I can't find that in my manual!

For this reason... the tyres that wear fastest (normally the fronts on most Audi Q5's) should be swapped with the rears... when the tyre difference reaches approx 2mm.

·
Registered
253 Posts
So when I had to change two tyres due to an earlier puncture, I checked the tread depth and it was ok to replace two as the two not being replaced were still on 5 to 6mm tread depth.

I have recently sold the car to a main dealer group, after informing them it needed two new tyres as the rears (the fronts originally for 8k miles) were down to less than 3mm whilst fronts were at less than 5mm.

Do you think the well known Audi dealer will replace all 4 for sale....? Or just 2 and forget the stress on the transfer box?

Edit - looking at the pics it appears that none have been replaced....

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I was told by a salesman that they need at least 4mm to be put on the forecourt, but your guess is as good as mine as to what they actually do.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Spoke to the chap at the local mot station about rotating the wheels.
he said he’s not sure he can do that because the wheels are coded to the corner of the Audi.
could cause problems with the presure sensors. I have a 2019 q5 sline.
anyone know if he’s right?

·
Registered
2021 Q5 40 TDI Quattro S line
50 Posts
Hi,
That doesn’t sound correct. I have had plenty of cars with TPMS and have rotated the wheels once a year when changing from winter wheels to summer. The sensors automatically connect with the car regardless of which axel they are on.

Reactions: SteveBram

·
Premium Member
Ordered: Q5 55 tfsi e Competition, all boxes ticked, Navarra Blue
188 Posts
Over four decades Audi have had a number of four wheel drive systems. The haldex is only active when slip is detected so almost all the time the car is front wheel drive only. In reality tyre wear is almost totally dependant on how you drive the car. With haldex I would wait until the rear tyre tread depth is about 4mm then rotate the wheels/tyres. Doing nothing affects the handling of the car as you will end up with minimal tread on the front and significantly more on the rear. I would strongly recommend that tyres on the same axle are replaced at the same time and if possible with the same tread pattern as the other axle.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts