Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently looking at two new front tyres 235/55 R19. The speed rating is W which is around 149mph. Is there any reason why you can't fit speed rating V which is around 135mph. In this country this speed rating seems a little optomistic, and yes I know I could travel to Germany and possibly go at that speed but I am not a speed merchant and would not want to travel at that speed anyway. There is far more choice at the V speed rating. Just out of interest there is even more choice at H which is around 125mph. They are all rated at 101 for load. The lower speed ratings also include M+S tyres which I found on my Discovery were a good balanced tyre between winter and summer. Any comments.

·
Super Moderator
1,046 Posts
I am currently looking at two new front tyres 235/55 R19. The speed rating is W which is around 149mph. Is there any reason why you can't fit speed rating V which is around 135mph. In this country this speed rating seems a little optomistic, and yes I know I could travel to Germany and possibly go at that speed but I am not a speed merchant and would not want to travel at that speed anyway. There is far more choice at the V speed rating. Just out of interest there is even more choice at H which is around 125mph. They are all rated at 101 for load. The lower speed ratings also include M+S tyres which I found on my Discovery were a good balanced tyre between winter and summer. Any comments.
The only problem with fitting different speed rated tyres is that you may not be insured as its not the manufactures spec.

Rich

·
Registered
166 Posts
I recently had a puncture on my Michelin Latitudes (same size) after only 5 weeks from new (not happy!!) but was advised to keep the same speed rating (w) for insurance reasons.

I bought a new tyre from ATS who were the cheapest but have also since bought a 2nd hand tyre from EBay with 7mm of tread for only ?80 as a spare ... Just in case...?130 cheaper!!

May be worth considering this option instead?

Perhaps

·
Registered
92 Posts
Assuming your insurance cover is valid only within the United Kingdom (as opposed to Pan-Euro) I can?t see any way the insurance companies can mandate a ?W? rated tyre. Although you absolutely have to ensure you have the correct physical size and load rating though.

Also as you know over the last few weeks many have been fitting Winter tyres and there is no way these can be obtained in ?W?rating ~ after some initial pondering it now seems all UK insurance companies are okay with this on the proviso the actual wheel is to the OEM specification / type approved.

Finally as we all know, it?s illegal to travel any faster the 70MPH anyway in the UK (unless you are on a track in which case standard policies wouldn?t be valid anyway). It would be an interesting case to put forward in court that the insurance companies can differentiate between a 149MPH and a 135MPH tyre ~ its completely academic.

Cheers,

Lee.

Ps. ?V? rated going on my Q5 at the next change.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts