Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anybody recommend a good all season tyre to replace the bridgestone duellers on my Q5 size 235/55/19 101w.
there is not a great deal of choice in this size so any guidance would be appreciated.

DCD

·
Registered
249 Posts
Do you want a cheaper alternative or just an alternative?

·
Still Game
4,609 Posts
I have Michellin Lattitude Tour 235/55/R19 101W.

There are tyres for the Q5 available from all the usual suspects: Bridgestone, Michellin, Dunlop, Pirelli, Good Year, Toyo and Falken

·
Registered
433 Posts
DCD,

If you look at the web sites you have the choice of tyre type, winter, summer all season and price. You then will be able to compare the prices and then see what your local tyre company can offer, buying from the web will also incur charges to fit and balance which can be 10 pounds per tyre.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Can anybody recommend a good all season tyre to replace the bridgestone duellers on my Q5 size 235/55/19 101w.
there is not a great deal of choice in this size so any guidance would be appreciated.

DCD
Take a look at www.mytyres.com i have used them many times and always got a great deal weather it be a TT Bridgestone or a BMW X5 etc. They will send direct to you or to a local nominated fitter. They have a good selection of all season tyres and detailed reviews and reports on each tyre type. There is also blackcircles.com although there website is not as easy to navigate. Good look

·
Still Game
4,609 Posts
Are these tyre brands all season as i have the duellers on at the moment.

DCD
Why do you think you have an all season tyre? i.e. are they marked on the sidewall with a snowflake or mountain symbol, or marked "M+S" (Mud and Snow).

see here > http://www.tyrerevie...er-HP-Sport.htm

The Bridgestone Dueler HP Sport is a Ultra High Performance Summer tyre designed to be fitted to SUV and 4x4s.

Perhaps you are looking to change to an all season tyre?

·
Registered
578 Posts
I think DCD is looking for all season tyres but he has summers at the moment? Not all "all season" have the M&S stamp as these are normally just for winter tyres.

They do not make a true all season tyre in 235/55 R19 101W.
There is no suitable winter tyre for the Q5 in 19".

Remember you HAVE to match the speed and weight ratings (101W) which is where you will struggle.

You can have alternative winter tyres in the following sizes ONLY (according to the book):
255 45 R20 101V
235 65 R17 104V
235 65 R17 104H

18" and 19" can't have winter tyres.

The answer is (which has been explored in depth on this forum already) - buy winter wheels and winter tyres as a seperate set, either in 17" or 20".

On my A8 I have a set of summers (19") and there is a suitable winter tyre available on 19" (which there isn't on the Q5) - the winter tyre is a different width and profile to my summers but these are the ones the book says to get, also there is a sticker on your drivers door which shows you all of the compatible tyre sizes. I will just pay to have them swapped over in October and they are also the same as the dedicated winter sets for the A8 (235/50R19 Dunpop 3D sport).

Search on ebay.de for winter tyres, you can pick up part warn bagains on there as they are a legal requirement and more common, you can even buy the winter sets. Be careful though, winter tyres are useless is less than 4mm so you want 7mm+ and I found it easier to jusy buy them brand new (£800 a set which should last 4 years).

I did have 18" all seasons on my Q5 but it now appears that these are not suitable and could invalidate the insurance

·
Still Game
4,609 Posts
I bought a set of winter tyre and wheels from Audi last year and will fit them again in November.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes kramer you are correct i am looking to replace the summer with an all season tyre and at the moment there is not alot to choose from as this tyre size seems to be unique to audi and i also agree that the speed rating has to be the same or it could invalidate the insurance.
What about the pirelli scorpion verde are they an all season tyre.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Hi all,

Popped back to see if there was a solution to the 19" winter tyre problem. Sadly it seems not.

DCD.........the Verde is a summer tyre. They do a Verde All Season but not in 235/55/R19 101W.

Bizarrely I have just had a call from my Audi garage offering me Pirelli winter tyres in 235/55R19 101W at £250 a tyre. I told them that Pirelli don't make a winter tyre in this size! But they insisted they are Pirelli and supplied by Audi de. So I really don't know what is going on!

The other thing I don't understand is that you can buy a set of 20" wheels and winter tyres. Makes no sense as wider wheels are not good for snow. Better to go down to 17" imho. A set of 17" wheels with winter tyres is about £1500 incl vat.

Might be worth a verification call to Audi UK?

It's not so crucial for me as I don't work any more. So I can wait for the snow to melt. But I plan to move north soon and would like a solution. Ideal for me would be All Season Tyres. Open to suggestions?

·
Registered
963 Posts
Just emailed Audi Uk to ask if this a cock up

·
Banned
801 Posts
Hi all,

Popped back to see if there was a solution to the 19" winter tyre problem. Sadly it seems not.

DCD.........the Verde is a summer tyre. They do a Verde All Season but not in 235/55/R19 101W.

Bizarrely I have just had a call from my Audi garage offering me Pirelli winter tyres in 235/55R19 101W at £250 a tyre. I told them that Pirelli don't make a winter tyre in this size! But they insisted they are Pirelli and supplied by Audi de. So I really don't know what is going on!

The other thing I don't understand is that you can buy a set of 20" wheels and winter tyres. Makes no sense as wider wheels are not good for snow. Better to go down to 17" imho. A set of 17" wheels with winter tyres is about £1500 incl vat.

Might be worth a verification call to Audi UK?

It's not so crucial for me as I don't work any more. So I can wait for the snow to melt. But I plan to move north soon and would like a solution. Ideal for me would be All Season Tyres. Open to suggestions?
There are winter tires Pirelli SCORPION ICE and SNOW, new model SCORPION™ WINTER and Scorpion Verde All Season 235/55/19

http://www.pirelli.c...35%252f55%2BR19
http://www.tyres-pne...-235-55-19.html
http://www.blackcirc...er/tyres/search

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The pirelli verde all season is a 105v where as the summer tyre is 101w i would have jumped at the chance to fit the all season verde if these had been on a w rating but this could invalidate the insurance and would not want to take the risk.
Could also get them for £188 a tyre without asking for discount on 4 which i thought was a very good price.
Also my Q5 is an se which has the standard 18 inch wheels and these would have only been a v rating but i got the 19 tyres free of charge because of a fault with the audi configurator.

DCD

·
Registered
963 Posts
But the load rating isn't correct. One is 105H and the other 105V.

Not being an expert. But if you fit those where do you stand with the Insurance for changing the load rating?

·
Registered
963 Posts
What exactly does the load rating mean? If you fit a higher number is that ok or worse?

·
Banned
801 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
I'm emailed Black Circle to ask. I read somewhere just now that you can fit a higher load rating which only leaves Y.

Looks like no tyres to fit again as already explained by Kramer

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hello rog i think the train of thought is that you can go above the the load or speed rating standards but if one is lower than the other than the other i dont think this would be acceptable but it is a bit of a grey area as i have said the se does come with 18 tyres as standard on a v rating were as the s-line are 19 as standard.
I would like to fit all season but it has left me a bit confused.

DCD

·
Banned
801 Posts
The pirelli verde all season is a 105v where as the summer tyre is 101w i would have jumped at the chance to fit the all season verde if these had been on a w rating but this could invalidate the insurance and would not want to take the risk.
Could also get them for £188 a tyre without asking for discount on 4 which i thought was a very good price.
Also my Q5 is an se which has the standard 18 inch wheels and these would have only been a v rating but i got the 19 tyres free of charge because of a fault with the audi configurator.

DCD
There are summer tires SCORPION VERDE ™ and SCORPION VERDE ALL SEASON
http://www.tyretraders.com/tyresearchresults.aspx?width=235&ratio=55&rim=19&man=Pirelli&flat=False&filter=Price&ftype=Ascending&pricing=1&cat=4X4%20Tyres&speed=All&Loading=All&tyreType=All
http://www.pirelli.com/tyre/ww/en/suv/sheet/scorpion_verde.html?url=%3Fsubtype%3DSUV%26season%3DSUMMER%26size%3D235%252f55%2BR19
http://www.pirelli.c...35%252f55%2BR19

1 - 20 of 77 Posts