Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to view your tyre pressures within the TPMS menu.... or do you just have to check the pressures in the traditional manner and then just set the system by agreeing that the pressures have been correctly set? Many thanks ... HH.

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
It doesn't actually read the pressures, it just checks they are all the same rolling radius and if this changes assumes it is a flat...
So you will have to do it the old fashioned way. The pump in the boot has a gauge built in that seems to to a decent job from the couple of times I have used it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: Hectorshouse

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jose. I may then consider buying an aftermarket monitor.

·
Registered
433 Posts
HH,
Better buying a digital monitor good ones around 15-20 pounds as the gauges where ever you inflate your tyres will be out of spec.

Reactions: Hectorshouse

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Could somebody who has the TPMS please comment on how useful (or otherwise) it is.
Thanks

·
Registered
706 Posts
With tyres at about £200 a piece, the last thing you want to do is to have a flat and not know about it until its too late, and have a damaged the tyre beyond repair. I have stopped in time with 2 punctures, so feel its worth the money paying for this option.

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
It's gone off on my Audi once because I swapped the front/rears, so I know it is super sensitive and would tell you about a slow puncture in plenty of time.

My Mrs Mini got a slow puncture and it went off on that and I was glad of it as we got it repaired before the tyre wall was damaged.

So the technology is sound and defo worth it for the tiny cost. I still check my pressures now and again, but you could probably get away without doing it. From experience it tells you once you have lost 2-3 psi (so 10% deflation).

·
Registered
433 Posts
The monitor is worth the money, as mentioned above can save you the price of a tyre.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I understand in some countries tyre pressure monitoring will be/is mandatory on new cars. This seems logical as with all the effort and legislation surrounding fuel consumption as well as the advances in stop start, energy regeneration etc, to not look at how tyres can be maintained at the optimum pressure would seem illogical. My earlier post (not very well put across), was a suggestion that if the rolling radius of the tyre is constantly monitored why would there still be a need to check pressures as regulary, if at all?

·
Registered
706 Posts
It checks rolling radius/circumfrence relative to each other so if both deflate slowly then unlikely to detect anything wrong.

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
It checks rolling radius/circumfrence relative to each other so if both deflate slowly then unlikely to detect anything wrong.
Relative to which? FR to FL or FR to RR? Or an average of all, and if one if wildly different?

I thought it looked at each individual wheel, when you reset it, the first roll of each wheel is taken as the correct size and then if that wheel is seen to be turning faster than that initial reading it must be smaller/flat.

I ask as when I swapped my fronts/rears it went off, which effectively made the rears smaller and fronts larger than before so not sure what it was comparing to what... Annoyingly (unlike on newer audi platforms) it doesn't tell you which wheel it thinks is flat.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Jose you may be right. I may have been misinformed. Must search the internet for the right answer.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Thanks. The rolling radius of both? Does it compare same axle wheels or all 4 against each other? If say two tyres delate slowly at the same rate - would it not detect the change compared to the other two that were at the baselined rolling radius? If all four deflate at the same rate i can see why this may not register - but unlikely to happen?
Below is from the Audi website - i think the first paragraph is for Q5 but not sure?

Tyre pressure monitoring display
The tyre pressure monitoring display measures the tyre pressures indirectly. It uses the signals from the ABS/ESP wheel speed sensors to detect differences in rotational speed between the individual wheels, which provide an indication of pressure loss. The same signals are used to analyse characteristic vibrations of the separate wheels, which may also point to a potential loss of pressure. A warning display alerts the driver so that the tyre pressures can be checked as soon as a pressure loss occurs.

Tyre pressure monitoring system
Tyre pressure monitoring systems, which measure directly, use sensors installed in the wheels. These measure the pressure and temperature inside the tyre and transmit this information to a receiver in the vehicle. The measured tyre pressures are continuously compared with specification values, which are entered by the driver, for example after changing the tyres. The driver can not only check the tyre pressures and temperatures at any time, but also receives a warning if differences arise between the set pressure and the measured pressure. Sensors on all four wheels are necessary for the system to function correctly. If the vehicle is supplied with winter wheels, these will already have the required sensors; otherwise they must be ordered separately from your Audi dealer.

·
Banned
2,240 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
According to Autoexpress all new cars from next year (not sure exactly when), have to have TPMS fitted as standard. I guess the cost will just be passed on yet again to the buyer.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I seem to recall that TPMS can be set up easily using VAGCOM as it is just a setting, which is why it is so cheap. so if you have access to the software you could add it yourself.

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
I seem to recall that TPMS can be set up easily using VAGCOM as it is just a setting, which is why it is so cheap. so if you have access to the software you could add it yourself.
This is true, if you have the correct ABS unit. I presume all cars for the last couple of years do, but I think 2008-11 cars may not have the correct unit in all cases...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts