Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I'm not sure if this noise is associated with the turbo as it's not consistent with acceleration or lift off. It sounds like someone blowing over the neck of a bottle. Most common when cold but happens a lot when low speed with gentle gas.

Has anybody had anything simlar? I've never heard anything like this in many years of turbo equipped audis.

Hope someone can help.

cheers

·
Banned
801 Posts
Make sure that hose someone didn't turn out
To me, something similar happened 3 years ago and the cause was a hose that is turn out
Sorry for my English

·
Banned
842 Posts
Make sure that hose someone didn't turn out
To me, something similar happened 3 years ago and the cause was a hose that is turn out
Sorry for my English
As Spijun says I'd check the hoses and also the boost solonoid.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Also look for a very small person blowing over the neck of a bottle. Sorry! :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ha brilliant, guess I'll get it into the dealer then, and in the mean time keep an eye out for small footprints around the car!

·
Registered
292 Posts
Hi guys, did this get resolved ? it could the same noise I am hearing, the blowing over an empty bottle

·
Registered
433 Posts
Could it be the waste gate you are hearing? The unused boost going down the exhaust. Is it at the same RPM or at variable RPM, just a thought.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Variable RPMs, Service are putting it down to tyre noise Doug, testing with 18's on see if make and difference, then we can isolate its the 20's causing this hollowing and grinding...

·
Still Game
4,609 Posts
I would suggest turbo noise will correspond to engine speed and tyre noise with road speed.

I would try to eliminate possibilities. Whilst going downhill Depress the clutch - if the noise stays constant as revs fall then it is not the turbo or engine. Then change gear - if the noise stays constant it is not the transmission.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Shireguy,
I hope you get to the back of the noise unlike your brake issue did you get that resolved? As you say the 20's and road noise, I may put mine back on in 2 weeks as I think the scottish winter has passed....

·
Registered
292 Posts
Still not resolved, has been escalated to Audi Regional Managers now
... Next test is tuesday putting 18's on to see if this noise is still there....
if it is tyre noise why does it lead to grinding of brakes and then I can feel it come through to steering...
from a hollowing sound to a grinding sound...takes along drive for this grind to produce though...

everyone is curious now to see what this is

1 - 11 of 11 Posts