Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know similar threads have been discussed, but I'm interested in forum thoughts.

1. As far as I can see a remap on the 3.0tdi needs to have the ecu removed. I'm not keen on this option.

2. There seem to be a large array of tuning boxes on offer. Threads often suggest that these boxes just trick sensors and over fuel the engine. I'm sure this is correct, but I'm wondering whether all he boxes are basically the same or are some of the more expensive boxes in the same league as a full remap? For example cheap boxes on eBay and the like are from £50 upwards. Boxes from DTUK are in excess of £400.

Surely there must be some significant differences, or is it just all marketing hype??

Thoughts appreciated.

Regards mark.

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
There are 3 options to tune...

In order of best to worst - and also high to low price...

1. ECU remap (don't normally have to remove it)

2. Proper piggy back tuning box. This sits between MOST input/outputs of the ECU and the various sensors and engine controls. It's possible the £400 options are this, but they TBH are more likely people making a killing selling option 3.
Look at the installation instructions, if it is 'put this inline with this one plug that is plugged into the fuel pressure sensor' then it's a no go.

3. Overfuelling tuning box. This sits only between the fuel pressure sensor and the ECU and falsely lowers it's. Cheap, crude, and avoid!

When I tune mine it will be a proper tune, likely around £1000 (but up to £3000 for serious tune including so hardware changes). It's also worth noting that a reputable tuner will offer warranty on the bits they have affected so you are still covered as of course Audi will no longer fix your engine if it goes pop!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
138 Posts
Has anyone who's stated that the ECU doesn't need to be removed, actually had theirs remapped?

I had mine remapped after the manufacturers warranty period was up (3 years in the UK).

Tuning boxes are generally considered to be a poor option, which fools the system in over fuelling, which is somewhat ironic, as they claim better MPG!

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
All the latest Audi ECUs need to be removed in order to remap them.
Security has been stepped up significantly. I also read somewhere Audi are planning to go further and will start scanning for ECU changes and flagging the cars TD1 like they do for US cars.

Tuning boxes just change sensor readings which is a waste of time and no doubt lead to issues further down the road.
Remember its still running the same code at the end of the day.

The ECU on the later 30TDi does need removing in order to accept a remap.
http://www.mybluefin...64&variant=2085

·
Registered
138 Posts
All the latest Audi ECUs need to be removed in order to remap them.
Security has been stepped up significantly. I also read somewhere Audi are planning to go further and will start scanning for ECU changes and flagging the cars TD1 like they do for US cars.

Tuning boxes just change sensor readings which is a waste of time and no doubt lead to issues further down the road.
Remember its still running the same code at the end of the day.

The ECU on the later 30TDi does need removing in order to accept a remap.
http://www.mybluefin...64&variant=2085
Absolutely spot on Snow Man.

My 2009 Q5 3.0TDI ECU had to have this process carried out also, and so far as I understand it, all post 2008 Audi cars have employed this security defence.

·
Registered
157 Posts
MTM appear to be offering a 'tune' to 365 bhp and 760 nm (roughly 15% bhp and torque increase) for the SQ5 for £1,200 via a UK based company named QST http://www.qstuning.com/display.php?make=1&model=56&engine=213 Seems they've done this already with the A6 Bi Tdi http://www.evo.co.uk/news/evonews/286144/mtm_tuned_audi_a6_bitdi.html
Not sure what the m-cantronic unit is although it appears to be another tuning box, just a very expensive one. Jose you seem to be well read on such things, any ideas?

The MTM video of the cantronic unit installation looks like a tuning box - http://www.mtm-online.de/en/products/mtm-cantronic

·
SQ-MASTER
2,468 Posts
The Maths look gr8 4 the £, if it's true and safe,lovely jump in power,very interesting 2 hear bout this 🔣

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
MTM appear to be offering a 'tune' to 365 bhp and 760 nm (roughly 15% bhp and torque increase) for the SQ5 for £1,200 via a UK based company named QST http://www.qstuning....l=56&engine=213 Seems they've done this already with the A6 Bi Tdi http://www.evo.co.uk...i_a6_bitdi.html Not sure what the m-cantronic unit is although it appears to be another tuning box, just a very expensive one. Jose you seem to be well read on such things, any ideas? The MTM video of the cantronic unit installation looks like a tuning box - http://www.mtm-onlin...s/mtm-cantronic
This is basically option 2 from my description above - it high jacks the fuel pressure sensor (as the cheapo option 3's do) but it also sits in between the ECU and other parameters as well so can make much more informed decisions about how/when to increase fuel pressure and likely can also affect other parameters to do with the turbos as well...

So its 100 times better than the cheapest option, but still only half as good as an option one - hence the price is about there too - a full re-map tune would be £3-4K including a couple of minor hardware changes (intake etc). Personally I would happily go with MTM.
At the end of the day they are a big company with a reputation, and part of the that cost is so they can sort it out if the F**K your car up!

This thread has direct quotes from MTM about it as well ABT who I got quotes from... SQ5 Tune...

·
Registered
706 Posts
Despte what is said in the press and comments from others, I cant see that a tune up or remap is at all good for the car. If it were?, why did Audi make major changes to the 3.0 tdi engine to go from 245bhp to 313bhp for the SQ. Surely they could have remapped it, a much cheaper option. Isn't it because, the stresses on engine and gearbox parts, brakes, susspension need to be upgraded to cope? Hence why I would never consider the option. I would go for the SQ

Answers please.

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Despte what is said in the press and comments from others, I cant see that a tune up or remap is at all good for the car. If it were?, why did Audi make major changes to the 3.0 tdi engine to go from 245bhp to 313bhp for the SQ. Surely they could have remapped it, a much cheaper option. Isn't it because, the stresses on engine and gearbox parts, brakes, susspension need to be upgraded to cope? Hence why I would never consider the option. I would go for the SQ

Answers please.
Well first the normal 3.0 TDI is not really a lesser version of the SQ's bi-turbo...

Manufacturers create a package that will last 100k miles, which means a lot of compromise, there is also cost/marketing to consider. Often if they make a powerful version of car X it will impact of sales of car Y so they purposely De-tune it. Then there are emissions, while many tunes genuinely increase power and economy it is by increasing the polluting potential of that engine.

Manufacturers do have highly strung engines that you can't get much more out of safely, examples include the E46 M3, the 2.6 V6 from Audi (now a few years old, often put in the A4/A6) and more recently, the new A45 Merc (350bhp from a 2.0T!) - it is just more often than not it makes more sense to not extract the absolute most...

·
Banned
289 Posts
The thing I don't fully understand is why anyone would want/need more performance from a SUV than is available with an SQ5? In other words, why would anyone want to tune/chip/remap an SQ5?

Even if the performance does not quite live up to the claimed levels (0-62 in 5.1 etc), it is surely still adequately quick for real-life driving, when the constraints are more about handling than power?

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
The thing I don't fully understand is why anyone would want/need more performance from a SUV than is available with an SQ5? In other words, why would anyone want to tune/chip/remap an SQ5?

Even if the performance does not quite live up to the claimed levels (0-62 in 5.1 etc), it is surely still adequately quick for real-life driving, when the constraints are more about handling than power?
For now I agree, but in a year I'll be bored and 25% more power from a tune is cheaper than a new car.
Plus, I didn't buy it to go round corners, I bought it to overtake tractors quickly... (And surprise the bejeesus out of people!)

Reactions: ?? SQ-BEAST ??

·
Registered
706 Posts
Jose, you are spot on. Manufactuers design for reliability and emmissions which equals efficiency. For both these reasons is why I would not consider a remap etc, since when puashing more p[ower from ana egine, many other changes are made, as opposed to just shoving more fuel or pressure into an engine. The artcle extract below explans it a bit.

"To cope with all the physics that then comes into play - shedding heat, damping pulses and vibrations, minimising mechanical losses - Audi has drawn on its TDI race-car research to make modifications to the cylinder-head cooling, the timing and lift of the intake camshafts and valves, and the oil-jet cooling of the pistons.

There also is a special coating on the piston pins to reduce friction and even the water pump and oil pump have been optimised for maximum efficiency.

That's what you've gotta do when you unleash the kind of forces within an engine capable of hammering 650Nm onto the tarmac".

Also they don't use the S-tronic gearbox on the SQ5, as it can't take the power/torque reliably.

Another artcle below. And its good to know that the block of the standard 3.0tdi is very strong.

http://ae-plus.com/features/-audi-30-v6-tdi-biturbo

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Very interesting article. Basically says the engine is a tank and ready to be tuned in my book

·
Registered
706 Posts
It's the Head that needs taking care of.

·
Banned
2,240 Posts

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Would appear that Superchips are now remapping the A6 Bi Tdi (+41bhp and 116Nm, ECU removed and reprogrammed) for £365 http://www.superchip...23&variant=2800 so the SQ5 may follow shortly.
Interesting they say the dealer cannot detect that the ECU has been rigged to allow remap... Wonder how true that is?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts