Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

Having owned my Q5 for a couple of years now, I have put up with a few issues but now they are just annoying me.
I love the car when its behaving , but these issues are getting to me now.

The main issue is a very jumpy gearbox, to the point that when it changes down from 2 to 1 at around 3-2 rpm , it lurches forward feeling like I have hit something or someone has hit me up the back. It has also stalled a couple of times!

Not sure , but I think its better if I manually change down to avoid the gearbox jump. This seems to stop it for a while if I go back to full auto mode.

The engine speed also fluctuates, generally when coasting , so at the bottom part of the throttle position sensor system. It is not linked to temperature.

Looking at the diagnostics , an EGR valve issue was recorded and so I replaced it.

Whilst this smoothed out the engine in some ways, it still has the jumpy gearbox and fluctuating engine speed.

I have also looked at the live data using my Icarsoft CR pro and it would seem that the throttle potion sensor 2 is showing a fluctuating trace when in the idle position. As soon as I increase the throttle position , it follows
a smooth line.

One more issue is that back doors alternate if I can open them from the outside or the inside. So one day I can only open them from the inside and the next time (after a run and park up) I can only open them from the outside!
Now though, the offside rear door wont open at all!

So I think my questions as as follows:-
Does anyone know about or has seen jumpy gearbox's before and is there a cure?
Does anyone know the sensors used to determine throttle position etc. I'm assuming at least 2 throttle position sensors ?
Does anyone know how to gain access to the rear door that is stuck.

I apologise for my first post being questions quistions questions, I had rather hoped that I could give something to the community first before takeing, Sorry.

Thanks all for your time

Mark

· Registered
109 Posts
Hi Mark, The only thing I can comment on is the S Tronic boxes around 2009/10 were more prone to having mechatronic issues with the symptoms you've described, however it could possibly just need a transmission ecu reset?

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Steve
Thanks for that... I have tried a gearbox reset but this videos instructions are slightly different to the one I tried, so I will give this method a go this afternoon.
I will let you know how I get on.
Thanks again
Mark

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Never removed the door card, but I would be surprised if you need to remove back seat (?)
So to remove the door panel correctly as you know , you need to remove the 4 screws and then pries the panel of using a fork style tool slid down the side of the panel.
As the door is fixed closed, I thought the only way would be to remove the back seat and this would give me access to slide the tool into the panel etc.
Instead I managed to force the door panel up by about 6mm to pull it back from the lip and then forcing the panel off from the clips holding it firm.
A couple were broken in the process , but at least the panel was off!.
But pulling the cable etc. still did not release the door!.
After a considerable time we managed to free the door by reaching right in the door skin up by the lock and to be honest we are not sure yet what we pulled but it opened the door.
So now i'm back were I was in that one day you can open it from the outside and not the inside, and then the next day you can open it from the inside and not the outside 🤷‍♀️
I will continue to try and find out what is causing this and also what can cause it to totally fail, as in not being able to open it at all as I suspect if will get jammed again soon.
Cheers

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Never seen the reset before. Great. Also has the gearbox been serviced properly? Correct oil and filter? And oil level? Do you have ADS? If so set gearbox to economy or comfort. Dynamic can be a bit juddery.
Hi
I reset the gearbox but it has made it worse... It now very aggressively jerks forward when putting it into drive...
So I will now get the gearbox serviced as you suggest.. Thanks

· Still Game
5,240 Posts
So to remove the door panel correctly as you know , you need to remove the 4 screws and then pries the panel of using a fork style tool slid down the side of the panel.
As the door is fixed closed, I thought the only way would be to remove the back seat and this would give me access to slide the tool into the panel etc.
Instead I managed to force the door panel up by about 6mm to pull it back from the lip and then forcing the panel off from the clips holding it firm.
A couple were broken in the process , but at least the panel was off!.
But pulling the cable etc. still did not release the door!.
After a considerable time we managed to free the door by reaching right in the door skin up by the lock and to be honest we are not sure yet what we pulled but it opened the door.
So now i'm back were I was in that one day you can open it from the outside and not the inside, and then the next day you can open it from the inside and not the outside 🤷‍♀️
I will continue to try and find out what is causing this and also what can cause it to totally fail, as in not being able to open it at all as I suspect if will get jammed again soon.
Cheers
Sorry, I did not understand you were trying to remove the card whilst door was closed. I have heard others report that they have re-vitalised the solenoid with WD40. I would replace them.

· Registered
109 Posts
Hi
I reset the gearbox but it has made it worse... It now very aggressively jerks forward when putting it into drive...
So I will now get the gearbox serviced as you suggest.. Thanks
i’ve only ever heard of resets smoothing things out not making things worse 🤷🏽‍♂️

What is the service history like for your car? Has the gearbox been serviced before?

· Registered
2014 Audi Q5 8R SE 3.0 tdi
253 Posts
Hopefully gearbox service to approved standard will cure.
My car never changes down to first except when stationary. It will drop to second but no lower when moving. Have you had any fault codes read. The reset making it worse maybe indicates a throttle position sensor problem.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i’ve only ever heard of resets smoothing things out not making things worse 🤷🏽‍♂️

What is the service history like for your car? Has the gearbox been serviced before?
Hi
The service history has been full Audi up until a year ago, now private mechanic...
Not sure if the gearbox was ever touched though.. Will find out ... Thanks

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hopefully gearbox service to approved standard will cure.
My car never changes down to first except when stationary. It will drop to second but no lower when moving. Have you had any fault codes read. The reset making it worse maybe indicates a throttle position sensor problem.
Hi
No fault codes but as per original post , the revs are erratic when throttling off... Will change the throttle position sensor also .
Thanks all for you help... Sorry for the delay I was away this weekend.
Will let you know how I get on.
Cheers

· Registered
109 Posts
Hi
The service history has been full Audi up until a year ago, now private mechanic...
Not sure if the gearbox was ever touched though.. Will find out ... Thanks
Yes definitely find out if you can and if its been pretty much all Audi all the info will be in your log book.

S-tronic gearboxes should be serviced every 40K miles.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts