Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a holiday in the south of France come September and will be driving down for the first time. Do I need to get my headlights adjusted? Also is there anything else I should consider?

Thanks.
Swainey

·
Super Moderator
1,046 Posts
Have a holiday in the south of France come September and will be driving down for the first time. Do I need to get my headlights adjusted? Also is there anything else I should consider?

Thanks.
Swainey
Hi Swainey,
you can adjust the lights in the car set up menu on the mmi.

rich

·
Registered
963 Posts
French lessons

·
Registered
71 Posts
1. Be careful with your speed. The motorway speed cameras are not frequent, but they are black and sit low on the grass verge. You will see them only as you pass them and by then it is too late. There are also police with radar guns. 80mph is the legal limit on dry motoways, use your cruise control because it is all too easy to drift up well beyond the limit on these empty smooth toll roads. If a French car passes you, and is obviously speeding, he is probably familiar with the location of the cameras, or he is taking a chance. If you decide to take a chance make sure you have a large wad of euros to hand to pay the instant fine.
2. The name plate at the beginning of a built-up area is the equivalent of our "30mph" sign. Watch what the local drivers do; they tend to slow right down at these signs because they are enforced.
3. Do not have a radar detector with you. Leave it at home. If the police discover you have one, even if it is immobilised in the boot, they will come down hard on you. SatNavs with warnings of camera locations are OK because their primary function is navigation.
4. Away from the motorways petrol stations are likely to be closed between midday and 2.00pm (as is everything else.) In rural areas there may be no petrol station open on a Sunday. At some places petrol can be bought using a credit card at the pump, but very often they take Mastercard but not Visa. I have a rule that I fill up whenever the needle gets to the half full mark, and I always have a full tank on Saturday night.
5. Parking meters in towns often give a free two hours from midday to 2.00pm.
6. French driving has improved immeasurably.

It is great country, and away from Paris, the people are friendly, especially if you make an effort to speak a bit of French.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Adjusting the lights via MMI is a nice touch.

Newhall - invaluable advice and I'll be giving Paris a wide berth.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
98 Posts
just been to Austria and back to add to the above

- get the free app for RoadPilot Mobile - you then get all of the speed cameras for the continent just dont tell the fuzz; I just popped it in the cup holder and obeyed it when the warning kicked in; set the speed measurement to kms
- on the setup menu and settings (top right from memory) you can change the display units from mph to kph and likewise for satnav distances; i leave mpg alone since l/100km means nowt to me
- on the car menu exterior lighting you can swivel the lights for driving on the other side of the road

thats all I can think of at the mo

·
Registered
38 Posts

Thanks.
Swainey
Been living here for 4 years and been caught speeding 3 times, although the last one of them I did over take the old bill whilst driving on a b road (90 kph) I was doing about 130.

As long as you keep within 40 kph of the speed limit and you get caught you will just get a fine and no points, I now keep within the limit, apart from the motorways, they tend to be a bit more flexable, but fixed cameras have only got a margin of about 3 kph.

One other thing, the old bill like to set a camara up on a bridge over the motor way just before you get to the peage
you pay your ticket for the motorway use and they are all there waiting, nicking everyone who has been caught on the mobile camera a klm back up the road.

Have a good time the roads over here are great, if not some of the French drivers

1 - 8 of 8 Posts