Audi Q5 Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
My 15 plate SQ5 is in with Audi Warrington having the same thing investigated/fixed today!
I'm dreading that they might call up later and say they cant find a fault, Bloody typical that it didnt do the fault all the way there this morning! Do I have any options if they say they cant fix it because they cant find the fault? I feel like telling them I'll just keep the hire car until its fixed! It runs out of warranty next month.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
This is exactly what happened to me - took in to the dealer and it never presented the problem whilst with them, typical. I resorted to filming with my phone every time I pulled away on the off chance it reoccurred and my patience eventually paid off after a while. I often got my wife, son and daughter to film for legal reasons. Audi then had to do something about it which they did. I think you need to try my method otherwise Audi won’t log it as an issue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Following my last post on 16[sup]th[/sup] December, events have moved on. Apologies in advance for the lengthy update…

The car went into the dealership on 18[sup]th[/sup] December and after having the car all day, the fault didn't present itself and there was nothing stored in the logs - typical. I was invited to take the car out with a technician and after an hour of doing so the car still behaved itself - I couldn't believe it!!

Unable to do anything as the dealership could not repeat the issue and had no evidence of a fault, I took the car away and was told to try and capture it misbehaving on video.

I immediately contacted Audi UK as I wanted it 'put on record' that there was an issue, and should it re-occur once outside of warranty, I would like it rectifying free of charge. Audi UK contacted me the next day and were quite honestly useless. Again, without evidence of a fault they would simply not acknowledge it and was told to buy an extended warranty for 'peace of mind'.

A couple of days later whilst pulling out of Starbucks drive-thru, the car misbehaved, but I couldn't capture it on my phone. I notified the dealership immediately who said 'thanks, but we need to see video evidence of it in order to log a case with Audi'.

From that point, every time we went out in the car, either my wife or son would be filming every time I came to a stop, just in case they could capture it - but it behaved!!

A few more days went by when it misbehaved again at some traffic lights, but this time my wife was sat alongside me, with the camera rolling!! With a stream of traffic behind me including a Police van and my car not going anywhere, we captured it all unfolding …much to the annoyance of those behind me with horns blasting!

I immediately phoned the dealership, and, on the basis, I had proof they immediately arranged for the car to be booked in early January for a few days with courtesy car provided. I also had the satisfaction of contacting Audi UK again, informing them I have video evidence of the issue - this time their attitude was positive and more helpful - surprise surprise!!

Since that time, the car played up a few more times and on one occasion whilst it was in Reverse and captured on video - so the problem was presenting itself in Drive and Reverse…intermittently.

The car went into the dealership in early Jan, along with all of the video evidence. I was informed that the Master Technician had been talking with the factory, who had come across one similar case which was resolved by a wiring modification to the gearbox. I was also informed that a replacement wiring loom had been ordered and would be fitted the next day. Indeed, a replacement loom was installed the next day and I was told to give it a try and see if it fixes the issue.

Well, two weeks later, the car has been performing perfectly and the issue has not presented itself at all.

Hope this info helps, if you are unfortunate enough to encounter a similar experience.
I appreciate this is a fairly old post now, but it looks as though the problem with some dodgy wiring is not as uncommon as Audi think. Having just picked up our 2013 plate SQ5, we had a problem yesterday from stop-start where the car went into neutral despite being in D/S. Reading around various forums it appears as though a wiring loom replacement is required. Do you happen to know which specific wiring loom this is and how much it's likely to cost to replace if we can't get this done under our RAC warranty which was supplied by the dealer (non-Audi) that we bought the car from? If you have any specific details about the part nos. or anything that will help us explain the problem to Audi and the dealer then that would be very helpful.
Cheers,
Rich

·
Registered
7 Posts
My SQ5 has the same problem, going in to dealers in a couple of weeks. Several Q5's in the states and Australia have also logged the problem on Q5 forums. The Australian said his dealer had raised a TPI for the problem with Audi, so that dealers worldwide could reference and sort the problem, which is to replace a part of the wiring loom as you say. He is probably the 'one' they refered to.The relevant Audi TSB info to quote if your dealer denies the problem:10/26/17 Electrical and Air Conditioning NHTSA ID: 10120837TSB ID: A971549 2040747-The customer states that no gear is selected after the engine restarts from a start-stop phase. the car must then be shifted from d-->n-->d or from d-->p-->d for the first gear to be selected. the issue may be intermittent.
Ah, excellent information (should have read the entire thread before getting carried away asking for additional information). I'll be using this when I contact my local Audi dealer. Does anyone know the cost of replacing this if it's not covered under warranty? I imagine the loom is £100-200 but the labour charge I imagine could be much more...

Cheers,
Rich

·
Registered
4 Posts
Had same problem with mine few weeks back there is tsb (technical service buliten) on Erwin audi
8k0971658a is part number for repair harness if need anymore info have it all printed out and step by step instructions if required
It seem to have fixed mine

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2015 SQ5 has developed a problem the last couple of weeks which has got progressively worse.

Whilst stationary in Drive, the car appears to be slipping into Neutral in the transmission. I only noticed this when trying to pull away and the engine just revs! The gear stick is still in Drive. It definitely appears to be in neutral and out of gear because on one occasion the car rolled backwards.

I have it booked into the local dealer next week but 'fortunately' it has happened now as it goes out of warranty next month.

Whilst this will get fixed under warranty I am concerned this could be the start of something that may cause me problems down the line...especially when out of warranty.

Has anybody else experienced this or able to advise what it could be?

just bought a new sq5, 2020, the car had only done 4,000 miles by my wife who is really careful.
she said she was driving and that the car was in drive and suddenly seemed to be in neutral with no gear selected even though the gears showed it was in drive.
car was still under warranty and after ringing Derby Audi they sent a technician out the same day who plugged the car into a laptop, diagnosed the fault code which also showed up on the key fob.
the technician checked Audis server in Germany which also showed up a known fault code for this problem, he removed the software from the car and updated the cars software and said that the problem was solved FOC
audi know there’s a problem and I was lucky mine was done under warranty.
quite annoyed Audi didn’t recall the car before the problem showed itself.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts