Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have ordered a Q5 including tow bar and 13 pin electrics for towing a caravan. Does anyone know whether TSP is installed which will activate trailer stability control when electrics connected? Thanks Brian

·
Registered
963 Posts
I have ordered a Q5 including tow bar and 13 pin electrics for towing a caravan. Does anyone know whether TSP is installed which will activate trailer stability control when electrics connected? Thanks Brian
If it is the factory fit then it has the stability control configured and also the larger fan. BUT you do need to be aware that Audi De do not wire pins 10 and 11 at the factory as for some reason the Germans do not power their fridge whilst towing!!!

I've just had to have a new loom installed on mine for this purpose at a cost of £360. I did complain to Audi UK that the towing electrics were not UK spec and as a good will gesture I got a refund. So I advise you to plant the fact that you are towing a caravan very firmly in your sales persons head (I doubt he or she will have a clue
)and stress that you want pins 10 and 11 wired to UK spec before you take delivery as a warranty issue. That is assuming you want to power your fridge on the move.

Another consideration is that the factory fit tow bar has a 80kg nose weight limit. Something that I wasn't accutely aware off and as a newbie to caravans (picking it up next week) I will have to play the balancing game carefully.

So you might want to consider the Audi aftermarket towbar with the 100kg NW limit, wired to UK spec and manual removeable ball.......

BUT then again the factory fit is really very neat and so easy to use with it's traffic light system confirming the hitch is ready to tow. Also the 13 pin plug is neatly on the side of the hitch. But nowhere to hook on the deadmans break so it has to go around the ball, which is allowed.

I think that's all the info that we have learnt by trial and error. Apart from that it really is a nice towing car and I find the reversing camera very useful with a caravan.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rog,
Many thanks for excellent info. I assume my tow bar will be a factory fit since I am paying the Audi catalogue price of 554 plus Vat. Have not seen one of these tow bars so would be interested to hear how easy they are to deploy.
I had picked up that pins 10 and 11 may not be wired so provided the sales chap with the UK wiring diagram. He said he would get his local experts to sort this out prior to delivery and I assume this will be at their cost.
I am planning to buy a new caravan , probably a Bailey Unicorn Valencia, which according to whattowcar works out at the recommended 85% of car weight so should be a good combination. I am retiring end of Sept and looking forward to touring with my new Q5.
Brian

·
Registered
963 Posts
Hi Brian,

In that case it is the factory fit Oris-matic towbar. Basically you remove the plastic cover under the bumper by twisting the two lugs, go into the boot open the lefthand cupboard, you will see a green light saying it's stored correctly. pull the lever downwards, out pops the towbar, the light will have turned red, pull it towards you (assuming you are still on the offside) and you will hear it go clunk as it locks into place and the red light changes to green to confirm it is good to go. Very simple and clean hands. To put away is just a reverse of this and you just push it back in till it clunks. It is very impressive and takes seconds to do. 13 pin plug is built into the towbar on the left side.....neat.

I retired in December at age 51
and took delivery of the Q. My wife has another 2 years to work unfortunately, but at least now it's only one job to juggle around hols. Then after much persuasion of the OH we decided to take the plunge and buy a caravan for cheaper relaxing hols with the dogs.......Bailey Pegasus 2 Verona. Delivery next week if all goes according to plan.

I don't know if you are a caravan novice like me or not, so I appologise if you know this stuff already.

I discovered after I ordered ours that Baileys have a tendency to be nose weight heavy. The Verona is not as heavy as the Valencia but even so without the gas in the front locker I'm now expecting it to be over the 80Kg Audi NW limit. So I will have to balance with the awning etc.
But I have read on the caravantalk forum that the Unicorns have NWs from the factory empty in the region of 100kg (which is the Al-ko chassis limit) and some people are having to load further back than they would like, to balance it out. And/or even remove the front chest of drawers and put it in the bathroom to travel. So i would advise you to do some home work and consider that when you are ready to order. Take a NW guage with you

All the other figures are well within the Q5s ability. I doubt I'll even know it's there.

I would have liked a Valencia but I negotiated 11% off the Verona and couldn't justify the extra 3K for the Aldi heating system having treated myself to a top spec Q5
..... Imho opinion that is about the only difference between the two vans.

Look forward to seeing you about

·
Registered
963 Posts
Oh forgot to say your sales chap may even believe as per some new Audis that the wiring is present and is tucked away in the boot and just needs connecting. That's not the case with the Q5 currently. It will need a new loom and the extra pins fitting to the plug as well. Maybe Audi UK will put pressure on Audi to do it at the factory by the time you get yours?

My reasoning with Audi UK was if it's UK spec then that should include the towbar wiring.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Rog
I have forwarded your advice onto my Audi chap so hopefully it will all get sorted out without tears. I have ordered my Q5 from Audi Watford and they were really helpful and offered me a good discount (I think!).
I am in the same boat as yourself with my better half not retiring until mid next year, I am just turning 59 and am ready for a break. We clearly need to organize a Q5 sad blokes caravan meet.
Thanks for advice on tow bar deployment - sounds cool.
Brian

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have also checked out Caravantalk concerning nose weights. Now I have a real concern regarding the Bailey Unicorn. A nose weight of 100kg would exceed the Audi tow bar limit of 80kg. As commented one solution would be to throw about 30 kg in rear washroom (awning or front chest of drawers) which would reduce NW by around 20kg. However, this counter mass would not assist yaw stability. Another caravan I have been considering is the equivalent Coachman and the empty nose weight is 55kg so on paper seems better balanced and I should be able to load and keep within the tow bar limit.
Am I missing anything here?

·
Registered
963 Posts
Hi Brian,

Ah glad you read that and wished I'd had the knowledge beforehand. There was another interesting post in the last couple of days in the Bailey section on the Caravantimes forum by someone who had bought a Unicorn. Which concurred with everything else I had read.

I told my caravan dealer I was a novice, what car I had and what the NW limit was.......reply "No problem the average person buying this caravan tows with a Mondeo". So being reassured I ordered.....only to discover the other forums afterwards and then start to think......
phew it was a good job I didn't go for the Unicorn after all. But could I have bought better.....but then there is the Alu-tech construction that I really like etc etc
Then I discovered the Stealth vans http://stealthcaravans.co.uk/products.html?gclid=CLCbh8umnqkCFQoY4QodLVH_ug ......now that would look good behind a Q5

Another consideration going back to the Q5. Is that Audi advise in the handbook that you tow with the NW at 80kg.

I've heard that Bailey may have moved the battery box further back on the Peg2 that I've bought, which would definately help. So going to see if mine is in this morning and whether that is the case. I'll let you know as it then might be worth you ringing Bailey and asking.

Buy a NW guage and take it with you when you go shopping.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Appologies to all the non caravanners for the subject

·
Registered
963 Posts
Brian,

Sent you a pm.

Roger

·
Registered
963 Posts
Sorry Crusty,

I thought you might all be bored with my caravan ramblings. Seen my van today......looks good. Got 11% off the price

Bailey have now moved the battery box all the way back thankfully, so the NW shouldn't be as big an issue now. I'll put a 110amp battery (22kg) in it and that should balance it up nicely to the Audi 80kg NW limit with a bit of sliding of the awning and bits on the floor.

I was a tad worried previously

So picking it up on Thursday if all goes according to plan
Just need some nice weather for our first outing. Currently freezing cold, windy and wet......which for June is crap imho.

I'm expecting the 3.0 to tow it with ease.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts