Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning,

I'm going to need to install a tracker for insurance reasons but have zero experience of them! I can see there are lots of options, from cheap and cheerful to the other end where you pay setup and ongoing costs for GPS++.

If it's a case of you get what you pay for, it would be good to know which brands stand out. My insurance company says it just needs to know a tracking device has been fitted but if I'm going to get one, it seems sensible (!) to get a good one. Has anyone installed anything they'd recommend please???

Thanks,

Nick

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hello Q5crazy,
I had the same problem insureing my x3 4 years ago and thought this was a bit stupid and yet i now have a q5 from new and the same insurance company did not insist on a tracker being fitted.
I dont know what insurance company you are with but i am sure there are some out there that would insure you without a tracker being fitted.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello Q5crazy,
I had the same problem insureing my x3 4 years ago and thought this was a bit stupid and yet i now have a q5 from new and the same insurance company did not insist on a tracker being fitted.
I dont know what insurance company you are with but i am sure there are some out there that would insure you without a tracker being fitted.
Thanks DCD. Unfortunately I'll only be halfway through a 12 month policy so I'm having to ask them to switch it to the Q5

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi

My insurance company insisted I fitted a tracker to my S5. I checked with my local Audi dealer to see what they fitted and they recommended the CobraTrak Q. I then went and found a mobile fitter who did it half the price. Cost fitted was £350 plus £135 per year subs. Seems fine with no false alarms or problems.

I have just ordered a Q5 so will probably move the tracker over if the insurance company insists.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
963 Posts
Cobratrak is very expensive and imho I don't think it is the best.

Ideally to stay ahead of the crooks if you want the best then go for something that uses a variety of monitoring methods. So don't choose something that is GPS only as it can be jammed very easily and cheapily.

So pick one that offers at least GPS and GSM together. Preferably with anti-jamming technology. Some add VHF as well (Tracker UK)

If you don't want it wired in then have a look at Mtrack......battery lasts about 4 years.

I use Tracker for my car and Mtrack for my caravan.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts