Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
I realise this subject has been discussed numerous times on the forum but I find the answers I think I need.

Basically I've ordered an SQ5 and my father who owns a touring caravan would like to buy my current car, it was new on the 1st of September 2011 and is a manual 170 ps diesel S-line model. I did not specify the tow bar when ordering the car.

The car has two fans on the radiator and a removable panel on the rear bumper. What would be required for a tow bar to be fitted to this car? And can I get this done without going to Audi? Don't know if its relevant but if my father does end up buying the car from me the warranty will have nearly expired.

Thanks.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I had an after market one fitted to a 11 plate 170ps basically I had to buy the tow bar. I purchased a detachable westfalia and had it professional fitted. The cost was the same as a factory fitted one. I know that they took out a cross member and fitted a different one then there is the wiring, if you have parking sensors they need to be programed to not go off when reversing when towing. Not sure what they done but i had a little picture in the MMI when ever i was towing There is also some controversy about upgrading the radiator, I personally didn't think that necessary, so didn't bother, never had an over heating problem. I think I saw something on YouTube on fitting a tow bar not sure if it was a Q5 or A6 may be of some help to you.

Good luck.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As there are two fans on the rad I'm hoping its ok on the cooling front, just hope the ECU and wiring won't be a problem.

The Westfalia removable one looks the best.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Yes Bigmac, I found it to be very good, easy to use and you have the benefit of stowing it away replacing the panel and keeping the car looking nice and neat and no one would know you have a tow bar. Don't think the ECU needs to be touched but you do need someone who understands the wiring part and can programme it properly, otherwise it may throw up an error.

I think the rad side of it won't be a problem not unless your dad is planning a trip into the desert, or up the side of a mountain.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He's usually found headed toward the Algarve in September, hopefully I won't get a call from him saying the cars overheated.

Thanks Bonzoboy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Bigmac,

I fitted an aftermarket westfalia detachable towbar to my 2013 S-line plus with the dedicated wiring kit (total £400) Audi quoted me £1800 - it was a straight forward installation due to simple to follow instructions - basically remove the rear bumper and unbolt the bumper re-inforcer from the chassis rails -install the towbar in its place -run the wiring kit (again with simple instructions) and plug the Audi prewired black + the red plug into the supplied module in the kit - you will find both plugs on the loom behind the rear right panel tied up.

Re-fit the bumper - 2 fault codes came up which had to be re- programmed to remove,

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Bigmac,

I fitted an aftermarket westfalia detachable towbar to my 2013 S-line plus with the dedicated wiring kit (total £400) Audi quoted me £1800 - it was a straight forward installation due to simple to follow instructions - basically remove the rear bumper and unbolt the bumper re-inforcer from the chassis rails -install the towbar in its place -run the wiring kit (again with simple instructions) and plug the Audi prewired black + the red plug into the supplied module in the kit - you will find both plugs on the loom behind the rear right panel tied up.

Re-fit the bumper - 2 fault codes came up which had to be re- programmed to remove,
What do you tow and is your car the 2.0TDi?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts