Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just discovered - too late to get a factory fit towbar - that a cooling system upgrade might be necessary for my Q5 if I fit a towbar.

I am so hacked off for Audi not making this clear in their details prior to ordering.

Does anyone has a view on whether it is really needed please?

Also if anyone has had it done - how much roughly does it cost?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
240 Posts
I believe that 2010 and beyond all had trailer prep as standard. It is easy to tell if you have trailer prep simply by removing the right hand trim panel in the boot. Car's with trailer prep have a red plug wrapped in grey foam and taped to the wiring harness. This is the plug that plugs into the trailer control module that is installed as part of the trailer module. If you have this plug then you can be sure you have the trailer prep.

Here is a photo - you can see it tucked up at the left side of this photo:

This photo also shows the trailer control module just installed as part of a trailer installation (it's the box at the top of the picture with the three plug ports on it).

If your car does not come with trailer prep then I would say that all is not lost. It really depends on what you intend to tow; if it's just a small trailer then I'm sure you'll be fine, but if you intend towing up to the cars 2400kg limit then you might want to rethink.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Really appreciate the info and photo - fantasitc.

It is arriving in next 2 weeks so will take a look and compare to your photo.

MANY thanks!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I had a similar conversation with my dealer after retro fitting a detachable Westfalia towbar to my 3L, all sorts of comments abour additional fans and upgraded alternators etc. All duff gen, already fitted! Crusty is spot on and assuming your in the UK you will have trailer prep and will only need some sort of software upgrade or facility enabled which is well worth doing for all sorts of reasons, not the least being the anti sway bit!

Cheers

MartynC

1 - 5 of 5 Posts