Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New Q5 owner here. Well, haven't even received it yet, but I'm picking up some options so when it arrives I'm ready to install.
Tow hitch question.
Factory hitch is very pricey for some welded steel. I saw comments that the harness couldn't be purchased separately. Then I found this:
http://www.jimellisaudiparts.com/products/Audi/2009/Q5-20L/Harness-for-trailer-hitch-connection/5664070/8R0971541.html
Looks like the harness kit and connectors. All I need now is a standard $250 hitch.
Any comments? Thanks.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Factory option is quite nice as the tow bar swivels and so is hidden when not in use. I believe it also adds larger engine cooling fan in case of towing very heavy loads. I did not think it was too pricey especially as it links in electrically with the ESP parking sensors etc. not sure if an aftermarket one would have the same functionality.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Be careful using an independent tow bar installer, as I was advised that it could invalidate my warranty when I went to have one installed on my previous Q5. It was the independent seller/installer who told me this and not Audi.

·
Banned
801 Posts
These are only the cables that are not valid without a control unit for trailer.
Be careful with the electrical system, it is known that Audi has problems with non original parts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice, thanks. It looks like the full kit from Audi is the way to go. Ill have to see about the dealer install. I'm going to take it in as soon as I get it to do a full check. It is a CPO, but I want my local dealer to verify this. I am also going to be asking about the carbon cleaning. Ugh, I wish I saw this sooner. I assum with 52k miles if it's not an issue, I may get lucky, but it sounds like every engine needs the cleaning, regardless. Hopefully that mysterious tool is available in south Florida.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts