Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

This is not a Q5 specific query but as it's a Q5 I'm looking to purchase (see my first post yesterday) hopefully you'll still offer your useful insight.

I was thinking of going for the petrol 2.0TFSi 211(and manual gearbox) because of the good 0-62 acceleration. However talking to a dealer yesterday he seemed to suggest the 2.0 diesel may work for me because it has better torque. At least I think this is what he said but being part deaf I can't be sure and not really understanding torque I would appreciate any advice.

What I am looking for is a car that is reasonably quick from a standing start, traffic lights etc. and also when overtaking whether that's from behind a Sunday driver doing 20 mph on an A road/country lane, someone hovering just below say a 40 mph limit when I could be moving away by doing 40 mph (or slightly more!) or similarly to pull past someone on a dual carriageway or motorway who may be doing between 60 and 70.

From my very limited knowledge I suspect that it maybe the three overtaking scenarios I mention where a better torque figure helps?

So any help you can offer in understanding the differences between the torque and the 0-62 acceleration figures would be appreciated and then also your opinions on how this translates between the 2.0 litre petrol and diesel Q5 offerings.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
240 Posts
The 2.0 TFSI and 2.0 TDI both have identical torque peaks of 350Nm but the 2.0 TFSI has it spread over a larger rev range (from memory 1500 - 4500 rpm). The 2.0 TFSI has power and torque that is close to say a 3.2lt naturally aspirated engine. I think it would be fair to say that the 2.0 TFSI will be convincingly quicker and than the 2.0 TDI under all the conditions you describe. About the only thing that the 2.0TDI does better than the 2.0 TFSI is fuel economy - and it does it convincingly.

IMHO the only reason for choosing the TDI over the TFSI is if you are concerned about fuel consumption (and oil consumption).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks CrustyNoodle, that's just what I wanted to hear

I don't do much mileage so it looks like my initial thought of the petrol was correct!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts