·
Banned
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
529 Posts
Interesting but...

Joe public would never get near 70% of their purchase price back. Those type of stats are only any good for comparing makes to see which would hold its value best, but percentages are tongue in cheek me thinks.

If you pay full retail when the model comes out like I have (nearly anyway) I don't expect to get 70% back when dealers will be offering them in 3 years time for list less 12-15% discount new. some lucky sods are getting 8%+ discount now on the latest models.

Interestingly I was reading yesterday that what with BMW & Porsche bringing out a match or possibly even faster Diesels than the SQ5, Audi won't let themselves be trumped so in 3 years who knows what value the SQ will have in it

·
Registered
289 Posts
1) These numbers don't actually line up with the numbers you posted recently from the leasing depreciation calculator. 2) the numbers are based on cars currently for sale now. 3) there is no way, as Wilf said, that you'll get close to these numbers if you are trading in and they will be based on base model residuals. 4) the Skoda Yeti (a fine vehicle) is higher up the list than the Q5!

·
Registered
877 Posts
Interesting to see all the Americana in that list. Propped up by rarity value I would imagine, especially the Corvettes...

·
Registered
343 Posts
The Px on our Our 2.0TDI S-Line is at 65% after 4 years and 56K miles - I'm happy as we also getting 7% off and other bits thrown in for free on our new SQ5

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Interesting that they state diesel only.
A dealer i spoke to said (sometime back now) they were having to sell/offload some of the petrol ones in Cyprus as they just don't sell them here.

As for the numbers, I agree with above, they are based on list price so the numbers can be screwed a little. Also they are historical, so they are not promises on future performance. I can say from personal experience and numbers received yesterday that the % is bang on for the Q5 trade in we got (wifes is not 3y/o, more like 2.5y/o) 68.5% based on purchase vs trade price. Which is less than I'm getting offered on the R8 which is nearer 78%. PX prices vary for so many reasons, e.g. you might not get a good discount, but they may give you a good trade value on the swap.

Whats more interesting is the ones that are holding their value better are direct competitors in many cases.

·
Registered
343 Posts
A dealer i spoke to said (sometime back now) they were having to sell/offload some of the petrol ones in Cyprus as they just don't sell them here.

As for the numbers, I agree with above, they are based on list price so the numbers can be screwed a little. Also they are historical, so they are not promises on future performance. I can say from personal experience and numbers received yesterday that the % is bang on for the Q5 trade in we got (wifes is not 3y/o, more like 2.5y/o) 68.5% based on purchase vs trade price. Which is less than I'm getting offered on the R8 which is nearer 78%. PX prices vary for so many reasons, e.g. you might not get a good discount, but they may give you a good trade value on the swap.

Whats more interesting is the ones that are holding their value better are direct competitors in many cases.
You're right with the exception of the 911 most of the top cars are 4x4's of one sort or another. I would expect the new Porsche Macan to be up there with the best, however you'll have to deal with a Porsche dealer to run one

·
Still Game
4,612 Posts
That sounds like BS to me. My dealer had a buyer waiting for mine before I traded it in

·
Registered
529 Posts
I was offered 70% of my purchase price as trade-in value for my Q5 TFSI after FOUR years and I bit the salesman's hand off
you did amazingly well but your deal is not the norm, cant be or the dealers wouldn't exist!!!

The buyer of your old car surely wouldn't have paid 70% of the price you paid 4 year ago! and thats without the dealer making a bean on that deal. also theres been a facelift since then which knocks residuals further.

So the dealer has made his money on selling you the SQ5 but it had to cover two deals. I guess two customers is better than one if they get the servicing etc.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
That sounds like BS to me. My dealer had a buyer waiting for mine before I traded it in
Heard it from more than one dealer. So I'm sure there's more than an element of truth in it.
I don't doubt single deals, but as above that doesn't translate to the normal for joe public.

PX prices can be anything and contain lots of good will.
One way Audi use to get around discounting RS cars was to offer great trade ins but state no discounts were available - translates to the same thing in my book. As long as the to change figure is where I want it they can do what they like. ;0)

Also regardless of what it is, someone, somewhere will still think its THIER ideal combo. If the dealer had someone lined up and was still making money on both ends he will be more than happy and doesn't have to stock the car. Problem or trick is line up those deals. Few and far between I guess.

·
Still Game
4,612 Posts
I can only speak for my own experience, however I note that johnathanbr got a similarly good trade in value for his Q5. We may be exceptions to the rule? However, I have not seen any reports from others who were disappointed by their residual value. I am not a great believer in stats from the motoring press or listen to BS from the stealers. I don't know what my old car sold for but I did see it advertised at considerably more than my own trade-in valuation. I do agree it is the price to change which is important and I did not get such a good deal when I traded my A3 TDI for the Q5.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I've never driven a diesel 4x4. I've had five petrol 4x4 in a row and never had a problem selling them (and for a very good price). You should be aware Snowman that a good salesman will hold up a mirror to your face and simply agree with everything you assert to him. He would not care if you walked in and asked for a hybrid, he'd just tell you Audi was bringing one out really soon and all other forms of fuel will be history and what a wise man you are. As I pointed out before I has to wait just as long for my TFSi as I would of waited for a diesel. There were no stock cars in the UK that met my need either TDi or TFSi. This idea that there is no demand for petrol cars is a fallacy. It comes from the actual fact that in the UK 80% of the market is fleet orientated and most fleet buyers buy diesel cars as they are appropriate for their high mileage drivers. When it comes to the second hand market, particularly for the more prestige cars, then there is more demand for petrol cars as the potential owners are unlikely to rack up high mileages and seek to avoid potential DPF problems associated with lots of short trips.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Did you make those numbers up?

So lets have some FACTs - from the SMMT
Fleet sales account for 53.57% (and falling), so that means 46.43% are private sales.
So the whole premise of your post is skewed to start with.
The break down of petrol vs Diesel is 50.8 (up 0.2) for diesel. So, you could, draw a conclusion that all fleet cars are diesels and maybe get away with it, but that's just not true. I don't have time to dig that data out as I want to go and get drunk.

Also you seem to assume a question along the lines of what fuel or version Q5 should I order was posed to a sales person
That's so far from the truth it's unreal. The context relates to 3 Q5s a dealer had in the showroom/yard for nearly a year - I joked so you finally sold them, (or words to that effect), to which the retort was about selling them abroad. I told that story to another dealer and he said they haven't done it themselves but knows it does go on.

You also appear or seem to think I'm anti petrol, nothing is further from the truth, I'm more like anti diesel.
But in some cases one makes more sense than the other, but personal preference is all that matters, just like when it comes to body colour. Resale values and sales volumes would suggest the general public favour one over the other for what ever reason

Fuel type makes no difference to the vehicle lead time, I totally agree with you - why would it? just in the same way it makes no difference if its sline or SQ5. Dealers will of course spin lots of stories as to why some can order in dec and not see them until oct, but others get cars in 8 weeks. Lots of variables.

I would also ask where the assumptions of the second hand market comes from, in terms of prestige.
Most exec cars are offered in D too and seemed to do very well. 535d, A7/6 etc etc. not sure I'd class Q5 as a prestige car. Or maybe-ish at a push.

·
Registered
289 Posts
No I got them from Mrs A who is in the trade. And in the executive segment during the first 4 months of 2013 fleet sales were 60% of the UK market. I don't doubt that some cars do get stuck but as you will be aware there is a mechanism for dealers to swap cars with each other. Of course there are always "special offer cars" available from manufacturers at the quieter times of year but in this segment you only have to get the spec a tiny bit wrong and you end up with a lemon. I'm totally sure you didn't ask the dealer what fuel type you should buy. I'm sure you told him, the point is there is no way he'd ever disagree with your choice. What is troubling is the way you keep throwing this "fact" about petrol cars having to be sold to Cyprus. It'd be a brave man who did this given the present problems. Perhaps the story is confused by the fact that there is an ex-pat community in Cyprus and they do import UK spec cars as they don't like the poverty spec local offerings. Anyway I too am tired of this and as it happens I'm off to the pub.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Cyprus is an easy sell is all I read into it nothing more than that. They are sales at the end of the day, they'd sell to the devil if they had to.
SMMT numbers are here, I wouldn't normally use the world fact as it normally means "I made it up", but they called it fact sheet.

http://www.smmt.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/SMMT-2013-Motor-Industry-Facts-guide.pdf?9b6f83

I will restate, they way I look at it (Personally) I don't care what others want or recommend, I buy the spec I want, regardless of what others say. Be that colour, options, transmission or engine/fuel type. It's my car. I'd aso say I'm sure other do the same (and I'm more than happy with that), I'm not looking to change views or opinions, my observation was "interesting it states diesel" (In ref to the article)

I'm happy you are happy with petrol.
I wish the SQ was petrol, but it is what it is.

·
Banned
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
1) These numbers don't actually line up with the numbers you posted recently from the leasing depreciation calculator. 2) the numbers are based on cars currently for sale now. 3) there is no way, as Wilf said, that you'll get close to these numbers if you are trading in and they will be based on base model residuals. 4) the Skoda Yeti (a fine vehicle) is higher up the list than the Q5!
Aldfort - I don't endorse or recommend any of these figures or the ones from the fleet website, but merely offer for information/discussion/debate - the latter appearing to be the main response to this topic as well as from my previous post related to http://www.fleetnews.co.uk/costs/car-running-costs/manufacturer/36/60000/audi/q5/#search

·
Registered
182 Posts
Dealers who are saying that the SQ5 is in very short supply may well be interested in the following statement.

Gillian Headings, Audi UK's product manager for A4/A5/Q5 ranges said, "Sales of all our Q 4x4 SUV models are growing in the UK despite the economic climate. Demand appears to be driven by the uncertain climatic weather conditions and the worsening road surfaces. Last year out of a record total of 123,622 new car sales in the UK, around 20,000 were Q SUV models. The main selling Q is the smallest in the range - the Q3 which accounted for half that total. The medium-sized Q5 sold 6,000 units and the larger Q7 had 4,000 sales."

She added, "As a niche model we had anticipated UK sales for the SQ5 to be around 300 units this year but already we have advance orders for over 500 vehicles but luckily there is no restriction on us having more to meet the very high demand."

"From the advance UK orders we are seeing SQ5 sales mainly going to male buyers but of course we know a huge number of ladies actually drive our Q models. The buyer's age group is between 30 to 40 years and 60% of sales are currently going to retail customers," she said.

Full report can be seen at http://www.girlracer.co.uk/index.php/motoring/roadtests/20640-volvo-v40-cross-country-first-drive-2

As far as residual values it all depends on supply and demand at the time you sell your vehicle, whatever it is. Like all commodities it will be market driven.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
6000 units, wow, that's all. Evoque sold over 18k.
Guess you could look at that in a positive way - less common.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts