Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

Apologies if there is a thread on this already. I am undecided if I should get a Tracker installed proir to taking delivery (estimated Feb). Audi have offered me two options and would like some views....

Audi CobraTrak plus
1 Year Package includes Installation, GPS tracking unit, 12 months subscription for £505. Lifetime Upgrade Subscription for £256 or yearly for £142

Or

Audi CobraTrak 5
All of the above but with ignition lock and automatic driver recognition for £1,041. 3 year subscription for £368 or £215 a year.

Any Thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks in advance

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
What does ignition lock and auto driver recognition really mean?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry i should have expanded.......

Ignition lock - if the car is stolen, the police/traker can send a signal to the car that won't allow the car to be restarted (remote immobiliser I guess).

Auto Driver Reconition is a card (credit card size), you must carry it at all times you take the car out. If the card is not present, Traker will contact you to ask if the car has been stolen (using keys) and if so, they can immobilise when the car has stopped.

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Sorry i should have expanded.......

Ignition lock - if the car is stolen, the police/traker can send a signal to the car that won't allow the car to be restarted (remote immobiliser I guess).

Auto Driver Reconition is a card (credit card size), you must carry it at all times you take the car out. If the card is not present, Traker will contact you to ask if the car has been stolen (using keys) and if so, they can immobilise when the car has stopped.
Neat!!

I guess it depends on;
A ) if your insurance required it, or if you get enough discount off the insurance to warranty the fitting cost if you have it.
B ) if you really want the car back if it is nicked

In my experience its easy to get insurance without the need for one (I pay £360 a year fully comp and I'm only 27!).

I personally would want the car back, on the assumption there was no damage - but when this has come up before other members have said they would rather not regardless.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
I have the CobraTrak 5 on the R8.
The card is not creditcard size, its much smaller. looks like a key fob.

I'm not bothering having it fitted to the SQ.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have the CobraTrak 5 on the R8.
The card is not creditcard size, its much smaller. looks like a key fob.

I'm not bothering having it fitted to the SQ.
Hadn't realised it was smaller - thanks Snow Man

·
Registered
202 Posts
in my opinion i wouldnt bother. spend the cash on a good gap policy and you should be covered for each eventuality (recovery or loss).
Even if the car is recovered thanks to the tracker you will still have a mark on your insurance policy and higher premiums so whats the point.
Of course if it is the only way you can get the car insured then thats different.
you hear 'stories' of the real pros (who would be the ones targeting cars like this) that they can defeat these GPS system fairly easily now, how true that is im not sure.
Just my opinion

·
Registered
202 Posts
to be honest before i read through this i thought this thread was about going on a track day !

was wondering what reply's were going to be posted .... alas no ... but if you did .... lol

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
in my opinion i wouldnt bother. spend the cash on a good gap policy and you should be covered for each eventuality (recovery or loss).
Even if the car is recovered thanks to the tracker you will still have a mark on your insurance policy and higher premiums so whats the point.
Of course if it is the only way you can get the car insured then thats different.
you hear 'stories' of the real pros (who would be the ones targeting cars like this) that they can defeat these GPS system fairly easily now, how true that is im not sure.
Just my opinion
GPS blocking is easy, but trackers also transmit a terrestrial signal for police cars to follow with a directional antennae. Problem is, if you block this (which means transmitting garbage on the same frequency) you light the car up like a Christmas tree on said frequency making it easier to track.
However these terrestrial transmitters are only good for a couple of miles and so rarely actually get used as you need a sighting to home the police into the area.

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
to be honest before i read through this i thought this thread was about going on a track day !

was wondering what reply's were going to be posted .... alas no ... but if you did .... lol
I'll be towing my track car with the SQ5. And will be taking it for a couple of laps...
Should be interesting!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts