Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My 2.0 TDI 2009 170 bhp Q5 is in for its 4th service, I had a call from the service department to say that my timing belt requires changing at 75K miles. I told them to proceed as I have now done 73K but when I got home I checked my service book and it says toothed belt requires changing at 114K miles...

Is this the same thing...?

Thanks...

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Probably the same thing - however given that if the belt were to snap and the pistons hit the valves it would destroy the engine - I'd have a bit peace of mind...

·
Registered
433 Posts
I would still ask the question WHY did it require replacement early as stated in the service book, @ 114K they may give you some cash back against the job being done too soon.

·
Registered
578 Posts
If the book says 114k and you have warranty this is Audi's liability and not yours. The truth is they get the models confused and recommend servicing generically - although I've never heard of a "75k" belt change, all of Audi's service requirements are of an interval 19,000 miles - i.e. grearbox oil at 38k, belt at 114k. This sounds like bull to me. Also if you get it done after the car is 3 years old it will fit into the menu based prices which are much cheaper (£439) - how much did they charge you?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They charged me £425, I was wondering if it was because of the age of the car rather than the mileage...? I will speak to customer services for clarification....Thanks..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just spoke to Audi customer services and they have said that the advice has changed, they now recommend that the belt is changed every 75K miles or 5 years...Because of potential perforations..

·
Registered
578 Posts
I bet they haven't written to owners with this new advice - bit of a shock coming for those who use Indipendent servicing after 3 years - tick tick.......

1 - 7 of 7 Posts