Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just took delivery of my UK spec Q5 S Line 2.0 TDi 170 S-Tronic.
I have the Electrically Folding Door Mirrors (no Dimming option) but manual seats so no seat memory.
I got my dealer to change the code in the Passenger Door Electrics menu (found on this forum under VAG-COM) which they can access through their diagnostic tablet computer (Bluetooth connection), so that the Passenger Door Mirror now tilts when reverse is engaged provided that mirror is selected. The technician who did this for me was not aware of these code changes that other forum members have posted but it worked. However what he couldn't do was to change the amount that the mirror tilts as he does not know which code/channel needs to be changed. It must be possible as the manual states it is possible to adjust the amount of tilt so does anyone know the answer to this?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have not yet taken delivery of my Q5, but i have this on my Golf (which has tilting passenger mirror).

When you have it in reverse with Lt mirror selected, the mirror will tilt. Then alter the angle with the joystick when it's in reverse to angle you want. It should then always tilt to this angle when you select reverse again.

Like i say, this works on my golf, so should work on Audi.

Let me know.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Well, this might work for cars with factory fitted feature, but not for hacked ones... I tried to change this on my car as you described and it changed also normal position. E.g. I tilted mirror a bit more down that car did after switching to reverse and then when I returned to D and mirror went up, but not to original position; it was tilted down by the same amount that I made correction
So indeed this is good question if it can be done somehow...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Well, this might work for cars with factory fitted feature, but not for hacked ones... I tried to change this on my car as you described and it changed also normal position. E.g. I tilted mirror a bit more down that car did after switching to reverse and then when I returned to D and mirror went up, but not to original position; it was tilted down by the same amount that I made correction
So indeed this is good question if it can be done somehow...
In units where this is activated through VCDS - ie not part of the factory package - the mechanism is simply that the "up/down" motor that is already installed as part of your remote mirror adjustment is operated for a fixed time when you select reverse. The same motor is driven in the opposite direction (ie UP), also for a fixed time, when you go forward again. Now there will be different amounts of friction, weight balance etc, and it never returns exactly where it started. This is frustrating, but I always leave my mirror adjuster knob in the "left" position, and about once a week I bump it up to where I want it as it has slowly worked its way down a bit...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the answer to this.
If the Q5 has the Electric Seats with Memory Option then a different seat/mirror control module is fitted. The control module that is fitted to cars without this option does not have the firmware that allows the Exterior Mirrors Position to be linked to the Key memory and so the mod that I did to my car is not turned on by Audi as the amount of tilt cannot be set to allow the mirror to then motor back to the set position. Anyway I'm quite happy with the solution I have as there is a degree of tilt and with the mirror adjusted for driving I can still see the kerb when I put the car in reverse. Why Audi did this I don't know because like the_fadester's Golf my wife's MK6 Golf does have the ability to set and remember to the remote control keys the degree of mirror tilt when in reverse but it does not have electric seats.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Well, now after few weeks of using this feature I'm going to disable it... The problem described above (timing, not position driven adjustment) makes my mirror slowly drift down (in my case), so after just few days it require readjustment. Even if driving in 'D' it is already so much tilted down as it would be in reverse... Anyhow given the size of mirrors in Q5 it is not big deal and if in real need I can tilt it down manually...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts