Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm new to the forum, so hello!

I've got a 2012/12 q5 sline special edition 2.0 tdi 170. Love the car but wish it had a bit more oomph.

Therefore I'm thinking of changing up to a 3.0 tdi. I need to convince the wife that its ok to change after only 2 years when I promised I'd keep this one for 4. I haven't approached a dealer yet as I want to get my thoughts in order, however what have people's experiences been when trading up essentially the same car? Have you got decent part ex values (important as I've got £23600 outstanding and I don't want to put any cash in), and have dealers been more receptive to a deal?

I'm currently paying £550 a month over 4 years, but would like to bring it under £500 for 3.0 sline without paying anything over. Any thoughts/experiences you've had would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, DB

·
Registered
768 Posts
Hi DaiBlue,

I had a change of mind with my after Evoque 20 months. I didn't know how to approach the subject with my wife, but built up to it over several weeks. No simple answer really, life's too short and as a colleague is fond of telling me "there's no pockets in your shroud". Many members will point you in the direction of the SQ5, but in my experience the Q5 3 litre provides a good all round experience. I've no regrets!

·
Registered
884 Posts
Hi,

I cannot help you on this one, only just got mine.
But welcome to the forum, I am sure someone will have some thoughts.

·
Still Game
4,612 Posts
I don't think you have much equity in the car? Have you asked for a settlement figure?

To get under £500 without a decent deposit you will need to extend duration. Even at the maximum duration 5 years ................

However, it cost nothing to ask for a quote.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Hi and welcome.

Well you should get a very good p/x on your current car as the 2.0 tdi holds it's value best but you will pay a premium for the 3.0 tdi which you will not see back the next time you change. MPG wise there is probably not much in it if you drove both the same, but you will, no doubt, play with the extra power which will cost you a bit more. At the end of the day, it's your choice.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've (very) briefly thought about an sq5, but it didn't last long for a couple of reasons. Firstly I think the ride would be too unforgiving, and secondly (and more importantly) I'm absolutely convinced it would get stolen.

My q5 has less than 19k on it, so would hope it has retained it's value reasonably well. It hasn't got sat nav as don't see the point for where I go, but there's so many conflicting values on the net, I'm not sure any of them are particularly accurate.

Have thought about a BMW 3 litre diesel, but the q5 is a great family car, and to my eyes looks like an overgrown hot hatch (especially with 20" wheels) which I like. Wouldn't get glacier white again though, awesome colour though it is.

·
SQ-MASTER
2,468 Posts
The rides not that hard or unforgiving,and y r u convinced an would get stolen ?😄

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Already had a car pinched. The cheeky ***** came in on a Friday night at 9 (when were in the lounge watching TV) and drove the car off the drive . Didn't have a clue.

We live in just an ordinary middle class area, but its just south of Manchester and there's a lot of car crime. Took my wife along time to get over it, and she still gets spooked at nighttime sounds (and its been few years). So, sad as its sounds, given that I don't live in Fort Knox, I don't want anything that that draws to much attention. (And yes, it does make me mad, as like lots of people I work hard to enjoy the things that I have, but....)

·
Registered
550 Posts
I think you'll really struggle to reduce costs and change to a more expensive model.

I recently went from a 2.0tdi to an SQ5. I had my 2.0 for 28 months from new and got £26k on the trade in. Considering I got a good discount when I bought it I was reasonably pleased with that. Armed with the best broker quote I could find, I went to my dealer & I got a decent discount on the SQ, but have increased my monthly payments by £100.

As others have said, it can't hurt to ask, but I'd say it's going to cost either more upfront or more each month. Good luck though!

·
SQ-MASTER
2,468 Posts
I've been burgled once wile in bed asleep ,as horrible as it was you can't not have nice things just in case some scum bag ( mite) want to have a go at takeing them,we can all take a few extra measures to make it harder 4 them and safer 4 us,life's to short to not have what u want if uve worked hard 4 it,of course uve got 2 make the wife feel safe and secure,mine didn't sleep for weeks after it happend,I installed cameras and she felt a lot better,nice cars will always b a target ,but if u make ur house secure there less likely to pik u 😄

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Why not look at a remap of the 20TDi?
or looking to move to the 20T?

Have you spoke to whoever has the finance and looked whats available in terms of deals, cost to get out and remaining (if any money)?
I'd guess it will depend on what your part of the 23k in terms of what you can move into - basic maths says you have a large ballon payment to clear the car at the end of the finance if you have that amount outstanding still, so you won't have much in the way of a deposit for another car and little chance to reduce payments.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The Q5 2.0 is quicker for delivery than a 3.0. If you part-exchange it or sell it privately - you obviously won't get as much for it than 3.0. Also if you sell it privately, you'll struggle more because secondhand 3.0s are sought after models.

The 3.0 is really only worth it if you can wait an extra month, pay the extra price and have need for the extra power. If you don't have a need for the extra power, but you still want something sporty - the SQ5 is a good bet because the 3.0 isn't THAT sporty (it's just got extra power).

I personally would wait another year or so and get the SQ5. Hopefully that makes sense.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Quicker for delivery in which way?
Makes zero difference in terms of an order time lines if its 3.0 or 2.0

SQ5 sporty? what do you term as sporty... SQ5 is quicker but doesn't drive any 'sportier' unless sporty mean lower...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Makes zero difference in terms of an order time lines if its 3.0 or 2.0
It does, or at least at our (and a few other) garages. At our garage when ordering they were quoting a month more than a 2.0, then when we picked up they and other garages had been quoting up to 9 months. Admittedly - it's calmed down a bit, however our salesman was now quoting a month more than a 2.0 (back to what it was in 2012). I think it's that Audi UK's allotted stock is smaller than the demand - because other countries like Russia are full of the 3.0Ls.

And by sportier I mean: speed, styling and engineering tweaks.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Engine, fuel type and trim (Sline/SQ/SE) makes absolutely no difference to the time lines of an order.
I can't comment on why a dealer would say that, but the simple truth is that they don't get given allocation at that level/trim, its at the model (Q5), level and they (the dealer) could order all as SQs, all as 20Ts or all as 30TDi or what ever mix they want - they all go through the same factory and same lines..

·
Registered
706 Posts
But is they can't make enough 3.0 enigines there would be a longer lead time.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi there,

I do not know the market in the uk, but here in Luxembourg I had the fitth Q5 delivered to lux back in January 2009. It was. 2.0 tdi manual It was fitted leather nav etc . I had the car 5 years and did 115,000 km in it and sold the car for 42% of the original price. There is a demand here in used cars and Q5. I hope this gives you an idea that look around and you should be able to sort something out. Don't rush, but start checking out. I am very happy with my new car as I changed to a SQ5 as I got it for the same price as a 3.0 Good luck and hope you get what you want

1 - 17 of 17 Posts