Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Banned
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered a Q5 3.0TDI S-Line Plus S-tronic in August, for delivery in March 2014...

The long lead time is driven by Audi, but also by the fact my current lease expires in March, so that is a fixed date.

One of the problems with such a long lead time is that it gives you time to think, and consider the alternatives, and I've been reading a lot of reviews and opinions - which, to cut a long story short, has caused me to doubt my decision....

My original spec is:

Q5 S Line Plus 3.0TDI S-Tronic,
Daytona Grey,
Leather/Alcantara,
Off Road Style PQ7 Alloys,
Interior Light Pack,
Flat-Bottom Steering Wheel,
Tyre Pressure Monitor,
Hill Hold Assist,
Audi Drive Select,
Panoramic Sunroof,
B&O Sound,
Folding Mirrors

So, what am I considering instead?

An SQ5.

Apparently I can switch the order without losing my build date, and with a reduced number of ticks in the option boxes, it won't cost much more to lease.

I'm still mulling it over, but if I do decide to change, I blame this forum.

·
Registered
768 Posts
To be honest if the q5 didn't have that wee bit extra ground clearance, I'd have changed to a SQ5 myself. Good luck!

·
Registered
233 Posts
My 55 mile up date in Reader's Drives sums it up for me. I had what you have on order Quattro and I can't believe how different the SQ5 is in comparison, it shouldn't be but it is.

If you can - DO IT you will love it. I do

·
Registered
529 Posts
Have you test driven them both

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have driven the SQ5, the 3.0tdi Sline plus and the 2.0tdi sline plus. All very nice. The sq is definately special. It was my favourite drive apart from the suspension which i found very hard in my opinion. If damper control was available i think it would be perfect. Specifying a good level of options on the sq does bump up the price compared to sline plus (you have a lovely spec. on your order already). When i specified the options on the sq that i have on the sline plus it added c£8k to the price. I found the 3.0tdi sline also a lovely drive, smooth and powerful. The look of the sq is also something special in my view. If i wasn't covering a lot of miles that would be my choice. They are quite sought after right now and i am told that you are lucky to get around 5% discount. Slines are also popular but 8-10% is achievable. To sum up - if you want the look, the special feel and that tremendous performance linked to good economy the sq might be worth a look, but the car you have specified is already a really nice choice.

·
Banned
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your interesting comparison. I agree, the car I have on order is already a great car, and for sure, it will do everything I need and more besides. But I just started thinking that I may as well go the whole hog and go for the SQ5 - the lease cost difference is small, the running costs will not be significantly different (I only do 10k/year), and the insurance should be ok for an old git like me.

I think the next step is a quick try in an SQ5.

Although, I fully realise there will probably be no coming back from that point.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Yes try one. But i think you will then order one..... Oh i forgot to mention the engine growl. I loved that! Also remember that to my knowledge things like satnav are an optional extra compared to the sline plus. I don't think they are available as a standard colour in daytona though..

·
Banned
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, the specification is quite limited on the SQ5, so I would need to add a few bits, including the tech pack. The good news is that it is possible to have a light-coloured roof lining on the SQ5, which was always a bugbear with the sline plus. It would also mean I would do without the panoramic roof, which is an expensive option.

And as for the colour, Daytona is my preferred choice in the Q5, but I would probably go for glacier or estoril on an SQ5.

Next step - to find an SQ5 demo...

·
Registered
529 Posts
Why have cotton if you can have silk lol

·
SQ-MASTER
2,468 Posts
It is a shame you can't have Daytona on the sq,without the ridiculous 2k exta price tag,if there's realy not much diff on the lease price it would definitely be worth it,just for the extra fun,with power and exaust note,well what ever you choose there both great motors😄

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
go for either the SQ5 or 20TDI,
30TDI is too close in price to the SQ and too much vs the 20TDI. its a bit of a redundant model IMO.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I agree Snow Man its lurking in between and not quite priced correctly, test drive it mate and let us know what you think, and as
Regandcuths

said let us know when you placed the order ;-)

·
Registered
529 Posts
Guys Isn't there two variations of the Audi 3.0D engine and if so are they both available in the Q5? I never test drove either as i knew what i wanted and having gone from the BMW straight 6 twin turbo (sd) which is a world leading engine according to those who are supposed to know such things, to the Audi bi turbo, I'm not regretting it at all. No Sir :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
There's an approx 207hp 3litre in other audits, not sure it's available in the q5

·
Registered
529 Posts
There's an approx 207hp 3litre in other audits, not sure it's available in the q5
Thats the one! I had a loan car (A5 fastback or whatever) when the SQ went in and it was fitted with the 207 bhp. A really under powered unit mated to a terrible auto gear box. Thank goodness thats not been offered in the Q5 range

·
Registered
123 Posts
Yes, the specification is quite limited on the SQ5, so I would need to add a few bits, including the tech pack. The good news is that it is possible to have a light-coloured roof lining on the SQ5, which was always a bugbear with the sline plus. It would also mean I would do without the panoramic roof, which is an expensive option.

And as for the colour, Daytona is my preferred choice in the Q5, but I would probably go for glacier or estoril on an SQ5.

Next step - to find an SQ5 demo...
I saw a white SQ5 in stafford this morning and it looked absolutely lovely! It also had different wheels to what I have seen before. Overall it was fantastic on the road and getting loads of attention!

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Good to hear about the attention thing ;-)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts