Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I strongly advise you all buy some Gaffer tape.

Yesterday I pulled my phone out of my pocket and with it accidently a 2p coin. The coin dropped down the side of the seat. I could see it and as I tried to retrieve it, unknown to me underneath the seat runner nearest the driveshaft tunnel there is a slit in the carpet. Yes it dropped through that slit and I could hear it sliding around. Car at the garage now trying to remove it.

Second problem where it dropped there is a hole into a cross member tunnel and it looks like I was incredibly unlucky, because it looks like my coin has gone in there as it's not in the floor well below the seat.

So now the seat and the carpet has to be removed together with part of the tunnel trim to get to it. 3 or 4 hour job............Going to cost a fortune!!!! But it has to come out as it will drive me mad as it slides around.

I strongly advise you put some gaffer tape over that slit in the carpet that is under the seat runner. I suspect it is the same under the passenger seat. As it's under the runner you won't see the tape but it could save you a fortune if you are unlucky to drop something down there.

Reactions: Newhall

·
Banned
842 Posts
How unlucky Rog. Brings a meaning to spending a penny! Hope it gets sorted and thanks for the heads up! I wont happen on the passenger side in mine as the Mrs always seems to be travelling cash like shall we say!

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just got it back from Milton Keynes Audi. They had to remove the front seat, back seat, transmission tunnel and carpet. Coin found and rattle gone. The bill was going to be £300 for 3 hours labour. But the young lady service receptionist took pity on me and reduced the bill to £200. But she still wasn't happy with that charge and she then spoke to the Service Manager.

I was charged £60.

So lesson learnt. Thank you to MK Audi for being more than reasonable.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hi All,

I strongly advise you all buy some Gaffer tape.

Yesterday I pulled my phone out of my pocket and with it accidently a 2p coin. The coin dropped down the side of the seat. I could see it and as I tried to retrieve it, unknown to me underneath the seat runner nearest the driveshaft tunnel there is a slit in the carpet. Yes it dropped through that slit and I could hear it sliding around. Car at the garage now trying to remove it.

Second problem where it dropped there is a hole into a cross member tunnel and it looks like I was incredibly unlucky, because it looks like my coin has gone in there as it's not in the floor well below the seat.

So now the seat and the carpet has to be removed together with part of the tunnel trim to get to it. 3 or 4 hour job............Going to cost a fortune!!!! But it has to come out as it will drive me mad as it slides around.

I strongly advise you put some gaffer tape over that slit in the carpet that is under the seat runner. I suspect it is the same under the passenger seat. As it's under the runner you won't see the tape but it could save you a fortune if you are unlucky to drop something down there.
Very useful information. Sorry you had to learn the hard way for us to benefit from your experience. Reaching for the gaffer tape now.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry not had the time to take a picture and not sure the camera would see it. You should be able to locate it from my description.

Slide your fingers directly under the seat runner that is nearest to the transmission tunnel and you will feel that there is a slit in the carpet.

·
Registered
108 Posts
the arch where the gearbox and propshaft sits in..

·
Registered
120 Posts
Great heads up Rog. I'm always having coins and stuff falling out of my pockets. Usually I simply can't reach it, couldn't have imagined things could get that bad. tape time...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts