Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help! My Q5 has sat for ages, (lockdown & scarce parking preventing use). I've had flat battery problems over the past year. Last week, battery jumped, I let her sit running. When I opened the boot I was aware of a sloshing followed by a torrent of water pouring out from the light lens cover, half way down the door from the internal boot trim and from the top of the door. I managed to protect the boot from filling up with water by using a plastic bag to re-direct the flow! Inspite of draining quite a lot of water, when I closed the boot, the alarm set, as the lights flashed, I noticed the rear light is still half full of water!
So...... Can anyone out there in the Audi Q5 world who can offer me some sensible advice?

I'm a newbie, female of no fixed age, from Kent. My Big Black Beasty 2012 came to me from Surrey, in 2015. She has none of your namby pamby add ons, (although auto folding mirrors would be soooo good!)
She's had a few strange problems since we've been together. Mysterious disappearance of coolant, intermittently. Electrics, ignition, and music turning on independently. Then I we blew up the turbo! That one was a tad expensive!
Now she appears to have an onboard rain reservoir! A water butt! ......??

·
Registered
178 Posts
If it isn't a leak from the rear screen washer pipe. Check the rear wiper seal, light seals, etc.
I would be removing the inner trim panels to find the source.

·
Registered
Audi SQ5 2015
1,875 Posts
If you don't want to take it to a main Audi dealership. Take it to a reputable local VW/Audi independent garage and get them to have a look at it.

Otherwise check the rubber seal all around the boot, make sure they are clean, and crack/damage free. Make sure the struts are oiled/greased, and the locking mechanism is also working properly and greased. This can help the boot close tighter and maybe more waterproof. Would also check what Richard above suggests - you need to find the source. Maybe try only covering certain areas with the plastic like the left, right or centre to trial and error locate the leak.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you. The plastic was only to stop the liquid pouring into the boot when the door was open. I hoped in would drain it sufficiently.. The only problem with my battery was down to lack of use! I would prefer to reduce the level to bellow the electrics before I start her up.
I will investigate the source later this pm.

·
Registered
63 Posts
if the drain holes are filling up make some new ones? drill and a 5mm metal drill bit in the lowest part of the door/boot will resolve the problem. people will say but the metal hole will rust, well yeah over a few years it will but it will at least stop any electrical problems inside the rear boot and also leaving the water will also cause the entire rear boot lower section to rust from the inside out.

Do yourself a favour....check this as it is a common fault, take out your spare wheel or bass box and remove the plastic tyre jack stuff to view the battery is the battery also swimming in water? there is a plug hole there that blocks up too leaving your battery to swim in water too...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Help! My Q5 has sat for ages, (lockdown & scarce parking preventing use). I've had flat battery problems over the past year. Last week, battery jumped, I let her sit running. When I opened the boot I was aware of a sloshing followed by a torrent of water pouring out from the light lens cover, half way down the door from the internal boot trim and from the top of the door. I managed to protect the boot from filling up with water by using a plastic bag to re-direct the flow! Inspite of draining quite a lot of water, when I closed the boot, the alarm set, as the lights flashed, I noticed the rear light is still half full of water!
So...... Can anyone out there in the Audi Q5 world who can offer me some sensible advice?

I'm a newbie, female of no fixed age, from Kent. My Big Black Beasty 2012 came to me from Surrey, in 2015. She has none of your namby pamby add ons, (although auto folding mirrors would be soooo good!)
She's had a few strange problems since we've been together. Mysterious disappearance of coolant, intermittently. Electrics, ignition, and music turning on independently. Then I we blew up the turbo! That one was a tad expensive!
Now she appears to have an onboard rain reservoir! A water butt! ......??
Hi
I worked on VW Tiguan few years ago
Had same problem
Figured out that panoramic roof drainage lines were leaking
Assuming they are similar and you may have same issues

1 - 7 of 7 Posts