Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning on ordering a Q5 soon but I guess the dealer will try to flog me SupaGuard as an option. My current car which was new was not SupaGuarded and looks fine after 21 months plus its in Black!!

·
Registered
503 Posts
I never had it on my A3 and I wish I did, as the slightest bit of bird poo wrecks the lacquer. I have several unsightly areas where bird poo has literally been on for a couple of minutes and its eaten into the lacquer like a flash and no amount of ordinary gloss guards/polishes etc will get rid of it.

I purchased an Autoglym trade kit off ebay and it did improve matters, so hoping a professionally applied coating will be even better, plus all the interior trim is protected too.

When I agree a PX price in January for my car I will ask about having it applied when it arrives.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I did not get it on my car but I spent the next day carefully washing and drying it and have used Autoglym Cleanser and High Def polish.

I picked up the Autoglym Lifeshine kit and did it myself in the interior.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I didn't go for Supaguard either but as soon as I got the car I detailed it. High pressure wash, snow foam, rinse, two bucket wash, rinse and dry. Then I applied two coats of Jetseal 109 sealant. This gives a fantastic gloss and good beading of water droplets. I ran out of time at that point so the following weekend I went through the same wash process and applied a coat of hard wax specifically for dark cars, mine is Phantom Black, using Dodo wax Blue Velvet.
I get a great deal of satisfaction from looking after the car myself and am quite fastidious about it but I would say the Jetseal 109 is hugely better value than the Supaguard and is a better product and fairly straightforward to apply. Black and white cars take a bit of looking after if they want to look their best, its a bit like a well polished pair of shoes, be prepared to spend a bit of time if you want your new car to look good all of the time.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Hi Grandduc - I've had 7 new Audi's and never bothered with SupaGuard, its a con in my opinion. One of my cars was an ex-demo and they still tried to sell it to me, I asked why they didn't pay for SupaGuard when they had the car new - no response! When I trade in my cars they never ask if I had SupaGuard either, makes no difference to them. I think I was quoted £350 or something in that region, if you're fussed just spend £50 on some car cleaning products including a good wax as mentioned above and apply it yourself.

I've had new cars and never even waxed them, the days of keeping cars 10 years are long gone and most of my cars end up with fine scratches and marks but generally look great after 3 years.

Just my humble opinion - keep your money! Don't buy gap or tyre insurance from them either, just go on Google and find a alternative if you need it.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I have supaguard on my Q5, never paid for it as dealer supplied FOC. The car cleans very well and the water runs off it like a river when washing, the wheels are coated and never had to use any other product for cleaning the wheels as the brake dust just rinses off. Great product and have it requested for my A3 which will be arriving in Januaray again FOC.
I
As others say there are other products to use but being applied from new must be the best way to protect the paint from sun, birds and other air borne nasties.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will not pay but will try to get FOC as part of the deal. Problem is how do I know the dealer has Supaguarded anyway??

·
Registered
433 Posts
The application to the car is backed up with a date certificate and the maintenance pack is supplied also, my last new cars when supplied without paint protection had a wet slime product applied so that is another way I would have noticed.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Supaguard or AG lifeshine will do a good job protecting your car from bird poo and make it easier to wash.....for a few months! It'll not last last the 2-4 years you'll keep your car. Either get a kit for next to nothing online and do it yourself or get your dealer to throw it in for free. You'll know they've done it because you should get a small autoglym kit in the boot when you collect your car(not sure if they do the same with supaguard) there are also good alternatives to these sealants/polishes sold online if you're interested. But whatever you do don't pay £250 to put a £15 sealant on your car!

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dealer will throw in Autoglym protection FOC but will not leave aftercare kit because it will cost them more money. Happy with that as in the past I have had Supaguard treated cars with aftercare kits that I never used again. Dealer said if done properly will need to be done in two stages.
It was the best deal after the 10% reduction on list price I could get.

Cheers

·
Registered
578 Posts
Ditto Greg's comments, Audi do all this testing on the paintwork and interior (below), and no mention of them applying a few coats of SupaGuard first!:

·
Registered
503 Posts
Also no mention of subjecting the paintwork to bird lime and its that which has eaten into several areas of lacquer on my A3. Since buying an Autoglym Lifeshine kit off eBay it has definitely made an improvement, so I will be having my new Q5 treated. Plus its also the inside that gets protected as well.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My view is that its FOC and can only add more protection to the paintwork -albeit for a short while- lets face it how long can you keep a new car looking new??

·
Registered
433 Posts
If you have not tried it you cannot really make any judgment, may be you are only looking at reports. I never had it on my previous cars but now have on my Q5 and will be going on my A3, as mentioned on my previous post it washes better no marks high gloss shine all the time, wheels clean with a rinse, so all in all a good product. As it mentions in the product protects the finish, seals in inbalance on the surface, after all the Audi Dealer backs it so again WIN WIN.....

Reactions: Steppy

·
Registered
43 Posts
I agree with Greg on this, I used to accept the autoglym deal when I bought my previous Audis. Not any more, it doesn't last. Wash your car with a good wash like Bilt Hamber, seal it and then wax it. Do this when you get it and it will last you 4-6 months depending on how much you drive. Bird poo is this worst sometimes it'll only take an hour of two and if will have etched your paint. If course if you hate washing your car and your dealer is being generous with the autoglym if would be mad to say no.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Yes good comments regarding paint protection, better to have S/G free than to pay for it, again the dealer would not shift on price of car so take the extra free products and the likes. Aberdeen Audi is tough to deal with but fair in my accounts, never had any issues.

·
Registered
963 Posts
You could always Venture Shield it. No bird muck penetration and stops stone chips.

But costs more.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts