Audi Q5 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Doesn't make good reading as I have ordered one, pick mine up in March!

However, I disagree with those that have not chosen on because the sun doesn't shine that often! I always choose them because I like the amount of light that they let in the car, regardless of how often you open it. Got to say I had one on my just departed X5 with no problems whatsoever, just assumed that this would be the same - here's hoping?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have had creaks and squeaks from the panoramic roof in my Q5 since new. Audi service not very helpful with fixing and as I had experience with noise from dry rubber seals in the past with other cars i started lubricating with silicone spray. However this dries up fairly quick and noise returns after a couple of weeks and needs applying again.
Further investigation on then net dug out an Audi technical document from the US that detailed lubrication method for the seal and rails and referred to two lubricants with Audi part numbers. Went to the Audi dealer and requested them and sure enough they had them but insisted that they are for noises on the VW EOS and had no reference of the technical bulletin I gave them a copy of and said it was probably for the US only!!!

Bulletin is at this link
http://uberlame.com/a6_tsb/Interior%20Noises/Noises%20from%20sunroof%202022733-2.pdf

Attachments

·
Registered
706 Posts
How embarassing for Audi UK. The USA is very much a consumer sensitive market and Audi in the USA have done something about it by implementing VAG's recommendations. It seems that the UK Audi are saying that this does not apply to them. We should keep pestering our dealers until they recognoise the fault and fix procedure.

By the way did it work.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Well on the first sunny day this year I opened my roof fully and it wouldnt close again, got jammed before the tilt part would close. Being a Saturday afternoon the service staff had gone home but a helpful salesman told me about the manual way to close it. Takes a hell of a lot of force but eventually got it closed. Good thing is though it got rid of the rattle I normally have!

Not looking forward to seeing how much it will be to fix, car is 3 and a half years old now so no warranty.

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Well on the first sunny day this year I opened my roof fully and it wouldnt close again, got jammed before the tilt part would close. Being a Saturday afternoon the service staff had gone home but a helpful salesman told me about the manual way to close it. Takes a hell of a lot of force but eventually got it closed. Good thing is though it got rid of the rattle I normally have!

Not looking forward to seeing how much it will be to fix, car is 3 and a half years old now so no warranty.
3.5 years is that sweet spot where you shout and they fix it for free anyway...

·
Banned
11 Posts
Had my Q5 in for its first service today and I asked the dealer to check on a 'rattle' that started some weeks ago - not serious but annoying. Thought at first it was from one of the seats but then thought it might be the panoramic roof.

They confirmed it was the roof and they advised that I needed to book the car in for a week as in their view the roof has an issue and that they would probably have to replace the whole main frame.

Seems like a common problem!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have become a bit of an anorak on this now.

Mine had this problem at about a year or so old and ended up having the whole frame replaced.

As above it started up again but about a week ago the whole thing wouldnt close so I had to manually close it with the cranked allen key in the tool kit. This took quite a lot of force to turn but since I have closed it this way it does not rattle, so now I have traded one problem for another.

I would say then that the problem is the motor is not strong enough or cuts off too soon to pull the roof closed tight enough, hence the rattle.

I need to take mine in to get fixed, I'll let you know what happens.

·
Banned
25 Posts
All very interesting! I had mine regreased under warranty after 2 years strenuous use. It doesn't make a noise, but periodically auto retracts on both half opening or closing on very hot days. The noises everyone complains of are the cables clanking about. If its opened and closed enough they set tight enough not to rattle. I have mine open all the time, almost every time I drive it. Winter, Summer as long as its not raining, and sometimes even then. Always have with all my cars past and present. Otherwise why have one at all? Rag top down, hat and scarf on. Want my targa back with the emergency golf brolly, and my old caterham. Waiting for the family to fly away. Fantastic, now there even electric, all you have to do is slow down!

·
SQ-MASTER
2,468 Posts
My pal had a 911 cab 2008 I think,the roof was able to b operated @ over 40 mph 😄

Reactions: ?? SQ-BEAST ??

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2012 Q5 started to have the pano rattle after a couple of months + rattle in the trunk + rattle in dashboard central speaker. They were fixed under warranty.

Three months later, pano rattle was back. They fixed again.

Now it's in for pano rattle again (along with other things which I will post in the proper sections). This time they said I had to pay to fix it, for it is dirt and lub that causes the rattle. What???? I told the dealer if this then meant that I had to take the Q5 in every 3 to 5 months and pay to get rid of the rattle?? Unacceptable!

·
SQ-MASTER
2,468 Posts
Totally agree with u on that,liberty 😞

·
Registered
34 Posts
Picking up on a very old post of mine, I waited until the car was in for a service and had the problem of the open / close mechanism being out of sync looked at.

Cost me 50 quid to put right and now all is good with no rattles either.

Got to be happy with that

·
Registered
86 Posts
I've just taken delivery of my SQ with pano roof and I'm sure its making some sort of noise but cant tell if its normal or not. Its going back to have its wheel alignment so will get it checked out then.

·
SQ-MASTER
2,468 Posts
My car went in yesterday for pan roof creaking yesterday 8am ,had new parts and been lubricated,also went in for rear disc replacement as @ last service they said they were worn Over 70% @ 13000 miles so would change under warranty,it now turns out the tool 4 measuring was faulty,so don't need replacing,wonder what would of happened if I said ok just change them and had to pay ? ????

·
Registered
277 Posts
my pan roof has a knocking sound when closed I might get this looked at next time its in.

SQ-Beast, wonder if I was the tool or the 'tool' that was using the tool that was fault hah

Reactions: ?? SQ-BEAST ??

·
Registered
862 Posts
i've had occasional 'torsion creaking' from mine usually when the temperature changes from me closing it on a hot day to driving it again on a cold day or vice versa - i find opening it fully and closing it again does the trick and it adjusts itself and becomes silent again.

not really an option in the rain of course but it works for me and other than hearing it initially and rectifying it i see it as a minor niggle worth putting up with for the fabulous experience of the pano roof.

41 - 60 of 95 Posts