Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After having my cars mechatronic unit replaced in the gearbox it is running great.

I have two niggles that I would like reassurance on as I struggle to remember just how the car was before.

1. I notice that when I come to a dead stop, a splt second later I can feel the gearbox do a tiny (and I mean tiny) nudge - I think it is probably just talking up a slight clutch bite. It feels I guess like a normal torque covertor which is instantly ready to go off the line. Is this how other memebers gearboxes operate? - or when coming to a complete stop does the car feel like it is in a true neutral state with no clutch bite feeling at all? Mine feels like it has continuous light clutch bit when stopped with the footbrake on, but still with selector in drive (ie at red lights). If this is normal is it causing clutch wear??

2. I have noticed If i come to a stop briefly, say for a second, on an uphill gradient and then accelerate, sometimes the box gives a bit of a jolt - a bit like its inbetween gears and jolts a bit as it takes up the drive.

As I say these are minor things - but just looking for reassuarnce I guess.

Many thanks Mark

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Greg,

Could you clarify whether when stationery the DSG box feels like it is biting the clutch lightly. Ie. when stationery the car feels different when the selector is in drive as opposed to neutral? I am just concerned that the constant light clutch bit that mine seems to do will wear the clutch prematurely. If they all do this then fine.

Are you enjoying your new 2012 car? Is it much different to the 2009 ? Did you go for the same suspension options?

Regards mark.

·
Still Game
4,610 Posts
My Q5 feels like you have described and all DSG / S Tronic cars I have driven have the feeling that the clutch is bitting unless I use electronic handbrake / select neutral whilst stationery.

If you want some reassurance, I would suggest you test drive another Q5 and compare.

·
Banned
842 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but theres a fundamental difference between the S/Tronic and DSG systems.

I would say mine behaves the same way, especially point two which is incredibly annoying, if not dangerous at times. You will put power down from a standing start and its almost as if the car is in neutral and suddenly shifts into drive with a pause then a surge in power. This has been mentioned many times before on this forum and is a trait of the stronic system. If I need to pull out of a tight junction or roundabout with small gaps I always use the "S" mode to sharpen up the response time.

·
Still Game
4,610 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but theres a fundamental difference between the S/Tronic and DSG systems.

I would say mine behaves the same way, especially point two which is incredibly annoying, if not dangerous at times. You will put power down from a standing start and its almost as if the car is in neutral and suddenly shifts into drive with a pause then a surge in power. This has been mentioned many times before on this forum and is a trait of the stronic system. If I need to pull out of a tight junction or roundabout with small gaps I always use the "S" mode to sharpen up the response time.
There have been many variations and improvements to the DGS and S tronic transmission over the years. To a degree DGS, S tronic and indeed all DCTs exhibit the characteristics as described by OP.

You will put power down from a standing start and its almost as if the car is in neutral and suddenly shifts into drive with a pause then a surge in power.
Please be advised: If you read a.n.other forums you will find similar comments about other non VAG models.

·
Banned
801 Posts
The difference is big between DSG and S-tronic transmission
The principle is the same but the S-tronic gearbox much better

DSG is installed in VW, Skoda and Seat S-tronic only in Audi
DSG gearbox is a 6 speed and had only recently switched to a 7-speed model

Build quality is different as well as software transmissions, DSG had many problems

PS
Tiguan DSG gearbox price: 4680 EUR
Q5 S-tronic gearbox price: 8080 EUR

·
Banned
842 Posts
And as if by magic the oracle appears!

·
Registered
433 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Thanks for the input guys. I feel reassured. I have driven a friends 2.0tdi and also noticed the delay. My car (3.0tdi) has never suffered from this at all and is immediately ready to go at junctions without hesitation (although on occasion with a slight jolt)

Seems strange how these boxes seem so variable.

I guess it must be a combination of software / engine and mechatronic units which blend together with varying results.

Cheers mark

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think it's safe to say that the clutch does bite slightly, and the car tends to creep slowly forwards but this is normal and typical of most "automatic" gearbox cars.
Loving the 2012 which is a much higher spec than my 2009 was. The 2009 had nearly no options and was a stock item and impulse buy that I found sitting on the dealer floor one day when taking my A4 in for a service, whereas the 2012 was ordered to spec and with the other extreme in options. Same [standard] suspension on both but the 20" wheels on the 2012 do give a very slightly firmer ride than the 18's on the 2009 did. I love the look of the 20's though and would order the same again.
It great to be able to spec a car - lucky you. I've got 20's too and although the ride can be occasionally firm, I love the looks (if not the replacement tyre costs. Enjoy your lovely 2012 car

·
Registered
279 Posts
I too have noticed this effect in my 2012 car.

I would say that my 2010 car had a nicer (smoother) box. Another difference I have noted, is that the 2012 car will hold onto a gear for ages on a light throttle at elevated revs, whereas the 2010 car would change up a gear, making for nicer progress around town.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have the same in mine
. The same tiny bite is when I am accelerating from the low speed.

·
Registered
256 Posts

·
Banned
801 Posts
What about the same tiny bite is when I am accelerating from the low speed. Is this normal too?
Did you try to switch the gearbox in manual mode ??

·
Registered
52 Posts
I will have to check tomorrow, but why are you asking? I didn't noticed that in manual mode before. When I acceletare smoothly it isn't audible but if I try to accelerate stronger there is tiny bite. I have something like that in manual gearbox in my A4 before.

·
Registered
52 Posts
It is the same. When I am driving at low speed abou 20-30km/h and press the gas pedal I hear tiny tap, every time I press the gas pedal I accelerate stronger. I can hear it only in low speed. As I write when I accelerate smoothly there I don't hear anything. It is in manual mode too. This is realy quietly. Do you have sth like this?

·
Banned
801 Posts
It is the same. When I am driving at low speed abou 20-30km/h and press the gas pedal I hear tiny tap, every time I press the gas pedal I accelerate stronger. I can hear it only in low speed. As I write when I accelerate smoothly there I don't hear anything. It is in manual mode too. This is realy quietly. Do you have sth like this?
Yesterday I tried it but I have not noticed anything, but my engine was 2.0TFSI.
I will ask for information from my best man that works in the Audi

1 - 20 of 21 Posts