Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

I experienced twice a scary situation with STronic on the hihgway just before Christmas:

I got first a warning message (in French that I can translate as follow): " Gearbox error, you can continue to drive in a restricted mode"
I felt simultaneously a significant cough and then no motricity for several secondes while I was overpassing a car

It was really a miracle that I didn't an accident, thanks God...

And then back to normal without the warning message...

I decided to go immediately to the Audi garage:
Cause of the issue: the electronic componant of the Mechatronic (from the gearbox) was faulty and was due to be replaced
Cost: around 800 euros (680£) with absolutely no compensation from Audi, which is really a shame

The behavior of this gearbox is really dangerous in the restricted mode as you loose completely the motricity for several seconds (the accelerator has absolutely no effect during this period). And depending on the situation, a dramatic accident can really happen.

When I declared my issue on a similar French forum, I was amazed by the number of Q5 owners who had the same issue, with apparently a variable compensation from Audi. I started some research on Internet and I discovered that there was a significant recall in USA :
http://www.usrecallnews.com/2009/08/nhtsa-6712.html

I sent a complaint to the client service. No concrete answer from Audi at this stage.

I'll let you know...

Cheers

·
Registered
963 Posts
Hi,

Which engine and model year?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Rog

Mine is a 3.0 TDI from 2009 with 50 000 km only
Other engines 2.0 TDI and 2.0 TFSI were also affected from what I could read on the French forum
Most of them are from 2009 and 2010. In other words, after 3 or 4 year here come the problems...

Cheers

·
Banned
842 Posts
This is a common failure

·
Registered
963 Posts
This is a common failure
Really? First time I've heard of it. But I have had a run of electronics playing up recently.........but not this one

·
Registered
963 Posts
Shame the USA recall list doesn't include the Q5 otherwise I would have invited a response from Audi UK

·
Banned
842 Posts
Definately.

There's been quite a few Mechatronic failures posted here maybe all not quite so spectacular but definately that's been a common part to go in the gearbox.

·
Banned
801 Posts
Problems with electronics are complicated

Audi Q5 S-tronic not exist in the U.S. market.
Only models (S5, S6, S7) with S-tronic transmission to the U.S. market

·
Registered
963 Posts
Most of the members are from the UK market in this forum ?
Most but not solely. There are people on here from USA, elsewhere in Europe and down under in Australia. The more the merrier so we can help each other out!.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Gugus - I had exactly the same problem. The lack of speed was also worrying. Luckily this fault was covered by my warrenty so it didnt cost me as much however the sheer volume of this incident should warrent a recall!

All in all i'm considering leaving Audi..... My wife likes Range Rover so i might take the plunge, its not as if ive had problem free motoring with this supposed 'superior' build quality.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Gugus - I had exactly the same problem. The lack of speed was also worrying. Luckily this fault was covered by my warrenty so it didnt cost me as much however the sheer volume of this incident should warrent a recall!

All in all i'm considering leaving Audi..... My wife likes Range Rover so i might take the plunge, its not as if ive had problem free motoring with this supposed 'superior' build quality.
You'll be incredibly lucky if you get trouble free motoring from LR. I base that opinion on coming here from two Range Rover Sports and numerous design characteristics, as LR called them.

·
Still Game
4,612 Posts
If you are looking for reliability, you might be better to choose one of the Assian marques?

·
Registered
522 Posts
My order has now been built and will be ready for collection in early March. Do you think I should pursue this possible problem on a brand new car??

·
Banned
801 Posts
My order has now been built and will be ready for collection in early March. Do you think I should pursue this possible problem on a brand new car??
I think you do not need to worry
This is a problem that has appeared in the models 2009 and early 2010
Anyway on new car exists warranty

·
Registered
422 Posts
Sorry but S-Tronic is problematic for all years.
Find it Lumpy and Dimwitted when Cold compared to the 8 Speed ZF Box.
Had the "mechatronics" unit change twice in ours. [MY 2011]
For all you diy Chaps

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi All,

It's been 6 weeks now since I reported the issue to Audi and...still no concrete anwer from them (I even contacted client services fro France, Luxemburg and Germany). That's really a shame for a company that pretends to be premium

Do you have any suggestion on how to proceed then ?

Cheers

1 - 20 of 38 Posts